Big stroller rental changes on the horizon??

dis-happy

DIS Veteran
Last trip we did our first stroller rental from Orlando Stroller. This was a last minute thing (oops! arrived at wdw w/o our stroller) and we were very happy with the service. I only learned about this option due to this board.

Anyway, the disABILITIES board is posting changes of access to outside ecv and wheelchair rentals, and strollers seem to be falling into the same category. Surprised no one has posted here yet.

http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=46430523&postcount=68

Has anyone with an outside reservation been notified re. strollers no longer being delivered to bell services?

It says this only applies to companies that don't have an agreement with WDW. Maybe WDW is going to charge the companies to enter this agreement and that's a money maker for WDW?

Last trip we did our first stroller rental from Orlando Stroller. This was a last minute thing (oops! arrived at wdw w/o our stroller) and we were very happy with the service. I only learned about this option due to this board.

Anyway, the disABILITIES board is posting changes of access to outside ecv and wheelchair rentals, and strollers seem to be falling into the same category. Surprised no one has posted here yet.

http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=46430523&postcount=68

Has anyone with an outside reservation been notified re. strollers no longer being delivered to bell services?

It sounds like a liability issue. Disney doesn't want to be held responsible for items left for pickup - particularly something as valuable as an ecv. I would guess that the authorized companies will have signed a no fault agreement with Disney in case of damage.

It doesn't say you can't use outside strollers, just that they can't be left for you. I would also assume that companies without the agreement with Disney will arrange drop off directly to your room once you are checked in, or perhaps will rent a space to have pickup on property.

While I understand it to a point (unless it's just a money making opportunity) - this is very sad to me. We went in January and rented a manual wheelchair for my mom from an offsite place and it was SO EASY. It was there at Bell Services when we arrived (didn't have to coordinate a specific time or worry about having a delayed flight interrupting the plan) and we were able to leave it will them when we left - very quick - just dropped it off and went aboard ME.

This will add significant complication I think - if you truly need to arrange a dropoff/pickup time and I'm guessing offsite places will have to increase prices to compensate (not being able to group dropoffs/pickups to once a day, etc.).

It will be interesting to see what happens. But for those who rely on this for making their trip wonderful - it could definitely be a huge burden.

I emailed this question to several stroller rental companies and Matt at Kingdom Strollers got back to me almost immediately (his prompt responses have been sited in other threads as a positive for Kingdom Strollers). He was totally unaware of this policy change, but is planning to check into it.

I also heard from Sharon at Orlando Stroller Rentals who indicated they were told it applied to ECV rental vendors.

Quite a mystery.

This was posted on the disabilities forum

Originally Posted by alokhum
Dear Sir/Madam:
This letter is to inform you that the Walt Disney World® Resort (hereafter, “Disney”) has entered into agreements with certain vendors of Electric Conveyance Vehicles (ECVs), wheel chairs, and strollers. This has resulted in the development of new policies for the delivery and pickup of these items. These policies will go into effect Thursday, November 1, 2012 and will be strictly enforced.
Therefore, other vendors of ECVs, wheelchairs, and strollers (hereafter “said devices”) with which Disney does not have an agreement, must adhere to the following policies:
1. All deliveries and retrievals of said devices must be done in a public area at the resort the Guest is staying.
2. All deliveries and retrievals of said devices must be made directly with the guest who has reservedlrented the vehicle(s) while the Guest is physically present.
3. Devices may not be left at any location on Disney property to be picked up by a Guest or retrieved by a vendor.
4. No back stage access to theme parks, resorts, water parks, Downtown Disney, or other non-Guest areas, will be granted for the purpose of delivering or retrieving of said devices.
5. A said device that is left at any location on Disney property, by a vendor or a Guest in the process of delivering or retrieving it, will be considered abandoned.
6. Any such abandoned device will not be released to a Guest, even if that Guest claims that it was dropped off for the Guest use pursuant to a rental agreement.
7. Abandoned devices will only be released to a vendor upon payment of a $75.00 handling and storage fee.
8. Any agent, owner, or employee of a vendor found in a backstage area without certified written approval, will hereafter be issued a trespass warning, permanently barring that individual from entry onto Walt Disney World® property.
9. It is the sole responsibility of the vendor to contact Guests who have reserved any of the said devices beyond October 31, 2012, and arrange for physical pickup and delivery with that Guest.
Any questions or concerns should be directed to Walt Disney Sourcing and Procurement at 407-828-3764 or 407-828-3342.
Thank you,
P.O. Box 10000, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
Tel 407.934.7379

This also apply to Disney land just not sure if it starts on the same date

It doesn't surprise me at all. When people abuse and expect what started out as a nicety/favor and turn it into a demand then the person in this case Disney gets tired of it and starts refusing. Add to it the time it takes from their Disney jobs and this is uncompensated time, the injury potential and liability, and the fact that Disney RENTS ECV's and loose money every time one of these is rented from an outside business.

I think Disney is going to crack down on a lot of things like this, and I don't blame them. Why should I pay extra for a room so Disney can supply staff to handle an outside business's job and other guests needs before they are even guests.

Interesting. I was planning to rent from Baby Wheels in December. I just sent them an email to see if they knew of these changes.

I am concerned only because Matt at Kingdom Strollers told me that they haven't heard anything about the new policies from Disney yet and they are just hoping they only apply to scooter companies. Well, that's all well and good until the policies start to be enforced on November 1st and I end up with no stroller and no time to come up with a Plan B in time for our trip on November 9th. The wait-and-see, hope-for-the-best plan doesn't mesh well with my Type A personality! :rolleyes2

Take this for what it's worth (no one really knows at this point) but I posted on a different thread that when free valet parking for DVC stays was eliminated the change happened overnight with no warning. People who parked their car in valet one day were all of a sudden getting charged the next day when the new policy went into effect. Those who complained to the resort front desk were told they had no idea it would happen either.

Until Nov 1st rolls around I would take any assurances of business as usual with a grain of salt.

If strollers aren't included in the new policies but wheelchairs are, I believe Disney would be leaving itself open to ADA discrimination.

It would be unfortunate for many if this comes to be. We are considering renting an ECV for my Mom for our November trip depending on how her arthritis is. We have done this a couple of other times and the pick-up and drop-off at our resort were a great help. Trying to arrange an exact time for pick-up and drop-off will be a challenge for sure. Hope this policy change doesn't come to be.

It would be unfortunate for many if this comes to be. We are considering renting an ECV for my Mom for our November trip depending on how her arthritis is. We have done this a couple of other times and the pick-up and drop-off at our resort were a great help. Trying to arrange an exact time for pick-up and drop-off will be a challenge for sure. Hope this policy change doesn't come to be.

I sorry to say this but this is going to happen because their doing it in wdw and dl so they have to see it through. They never sai that their limiting the preferred vendors soon all the company's could be a preferred vendor.

If you want to know for sure call your resort and ask to be transfers to bell services manager and aka them that what they did on the disabilities forum and they was told it was true Ask for a list if vendors.

I am concerned only because Matt at Kingdom Strollers told me that they haven't heard anything about the new policies from Disney yet and they are just hoping they only apply to scooter companies. Well, that's all well and good until the policies start to be enforced on November 1st and I end up with no stroller and no time to come up with a Plan B in time for our trip on November 9th. The wait-and-see, hope-for-the-best plan doesn't mesh well with my Type A personality! :rolleyes2

I heard the same message from Matt and from Shannon at Orlando Stroller Rentals. In fact, Shannon said they were told it only applied to ECV's and they were planning to operate "as usual" - her words. Matt said he planned to follow-up and seemed concerned about the change.

I just got off the phone with Boardwalk Bell Services....called the hotel directly, asked to be transferred to Bell Services and talked with a very nice person there.

The Bell Services person confirmed the changes to ECV's and said there was a preferred list if someone still wanted the drop-off option (in line with what has already been reported in the DISabilities board).

Next I asked about wheelchairs and was told that there were already wheelchairs for use at Boardwalk for their guests, space available (there are a limited amount). Knew this already as we had to make use of it once; the response really didn't answer my question but I moved on.

Finally I inquired specifically about the stroller rental deliveries. Was told that as far as this person knew the strollers would fall under the new guidelines as posted.

If someone else wants to call the number listed on the letter (which looks like it was written by Disney---and references Walt Disney Sourcing and Procurement) it would be interesting to see if the there is consistent response. At this point I'd consider a call to any 407 general number as not definitive.

dis-happy said:
I just got off the phone with Boardwalk Bell Services....called the hotel directly, asked to be transferred to Bell Services and talked with a very nice person there.

The Bell Services person confirmed the changes to ECV's and said there was a preferred list if someone still wanted the drop-off option (in line with what has already been reported in the DISabilities board).

Next I asked about wheelchairs and was told that there were already wheelchairs for use at Boardwalk for their guests, space available (there are a limited amount). Knew this already as we had to make use of it once; the response really didn't answer my question but I moved on.

Finally I inquired specifically about the stroller rental deliveries. Was told that as far as this person knew the strollers would fall under the new guidelines as posted.

If someone else wants to call the number listed on the letter (which looks like it was written by Disney---and references Walt Disney Sourcing and Procurement) it would be interesting to see if the there is consistent response. At this point I'd consider a call to any 407 general number as not definitive.

Thanks for the update yeah I'd you call the resort most times it a call center but I you ask to be transferred they will. So far you got the same response from board walk a a guest on disabilities. Wonder I other resort would give the same info.

Therefore, other vendors of ECVs, wheelchairs, and strollers (hereafter said devices) with which Disney does not have an agreement, must adhere to the following policies:

So what companies have an agreement with Disney? I have a stroller reserved from Babies R Us to drop off at our resort, but looks like that'll have to change since we don't fly in until well after their drop off times.

Just got off the phone with Art of Animation and they said "the strollers do not fall under the Nov. 1st date." However they said in 6-7 months they are looking to include them.

gatorboardgirl said:
Just got off the phone with Art of Animation and they said "the strollers do not fall under the Nov. 1st date." However they said in 6-7 months they are looking to include them.

I am wondering if their giving each resort the choice to include all nov 1 or wait 6 months. Also he 6-7 months is most likely te time their give it to see I they like it also may be they don't think the stroller company will pay to be a preferred vendor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter