"big Rig friendly"

libba

Mouseketeer
This is our new motto. We went camping this weekend at Cloudland Canyon State park in GA. Have been there previously with smaller RV. Very difficult parking with 37 foot fifth wheel! Narrow roads and many trees. Any suggestions from Dis'ers? We are in Birmingham, AL and are generally in the AL, TN, GA, MS, and FL area? Have seen write ups that COE parks are a good thing? Just looking for suggestions.

We are in GA and frequently camp at McKinney Campground it is a COE on Lake Allatoona, roads and sites are easily accessible. Very nice campground, we have a 5th wheel and don't ever have trouble parking.

I live right next to a COE property here in Meridian, MS. It's called Okatibbee Lake. The campground is Twitley Branch. It does not have sewer because the lake is flood control and can get above the campground, like it is now with all the flooding we have had. I use a portable tank when camping there.

It is very clean and good sites right on the water. So if you are passing through the area check it out and give me PM.

libba,

I just got back from camping at a CoE campground just north of Tuscaloosa (across the Lake Tuscaloosa dam) called Deerlick Creek. Other than being about 15 minutes from civilization, it's a nice little campground on the side of the Black Warrior River (Holt Lake) just upriver of the Holt Lock and Dam.

It is the campground we use when we go to Tuscaloosa for football weekends if we camp (about 25 minutes to campus) versus an hour from home so it saves a little time. But be forewarned the 40 RV sites do NOT have any sewer hookups but they do have one central dump station. There are some really pretty sites with wooden decks/patios down along the water which are pretty during the fall especially.

One section of the campground (sites 12-23) include some massively long pull throughs mixed in with back-in sites and a road circle (not a cul-de-sac, a circle) at the end. That section would be good for a long unit like yours. The gate is locked 10pm-7am except for game day nights when they lock up 2 hrs after the end of the game. Sites are only $22 per night and all can be reserved on http://www.recreation.gov

It's a nice quiet, basic little campground with one showerhouse that was pretty clean (although my DW doesn't like the shiny metal mirrors). But if you ever want to camp close to home or on gameday weekends, that's the place (game day weekends book up months in advance and don't book sites 28-33 which are level but located on a downhill road). The website lists the length of each campsite if you click on an individual site on the map so you can get a feel if you will fit.

Bama Ed

This is our new motto. We went camping this weekend at Cloudland Canyon State park in GA. Have been there previously with smaller RV. Very difficult parking with 37 foot fifth wheel! Narrow roads and many trees. Any suggestions from Dis'ers? We are in Birmingham, AL and are generally in the AL, TN, GA, MS, and FL area? Have seen write ups that COE parks are a good thing? Just looking for suggestions.

There is a great COE campground off I-20/59 south of Tuscaloosa, AL out from Eutaw, AL on the Black Warrior River called Jennings Ferry Campground. We've stayed there twice and it's very nice - large sights - paved - back in - pull throughs - very reasonable rates. It's very quiet and peaceful. Lots of sites right on water with decks.

There is a CoE in Demopolis, AL on the Tombigbee river. It is very nice. It's called Foscue Creek Park. If you can attend in December they do a Christmas on the River where they have decorated floats on the river. It is pretty much a week long event.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter