• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Big Fire at Universal Hollywood right now!

Why is the world would someone want to go to the park today? At a minimum, there is a fire raging nearby that has grown throughout the day, and been described as uncontained fairly recently. Even if thins have improved there is all that smoke in the air! It also seems irresponsible that the MTV Movie Awards are still going to be broadcast from there this afternoon, primarily as it's going to draw gawkers to the area.

Here is a quote the LA Times published 20 minutea ago:

As the equivalent of two city blocks burned, and firefighters were still knocking down flames seven hours after the blaze began, a mushroom-like cloud of smoke drifted over surrounding neighborhoods, raising some health concerns. Nevertheless, the studio theme park was scheduled to reopen at 1 p.m.

last I heard the psyco house had been burnt.
I didnt know Ghost whisper was filmed there I love that show. My DH is saying they will have enough time to get stuff ready for the show he dosent think it will be affected.
I hheard tomorrow the tour will continue. this is sad I hope they can rebuild and find out who started it. also wonder what they were filming. as i heard it started diering filming

Why is the world would someone want to go to the park today? At a minimum, there is a fire raging nearby that has grown throughout the day, and been described as uncontained fairly recently. Even if thins have improved there is all that smoke in the air! It also seems irresponsible that the MTV Movie Awards are still going to be broadcast from there this afternoon, primarily as it's going to draw gawkers to the area.

I completely agree. I haven't gotten any news down here in FL in hours, last I heard the park was opening at noon, but from the last pics I saw it seemed ridiculous. But people line up in the middle of a hurricane down here waiting for the parks to open, so I guess somebody's probably there. Craziness.

IMG_2798.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

Here is a quote the LA Times published 20 minutea ago:

I agree - I think it's irresponsible to put Universal employees and guests at risk like that, and at the very least, causing more traffic in that area when it should ideally be clear for firefighting personnel.

I didnt know Ghost whisper was filmed there I love that show. My DH is saying they will have enough time to get stuff ready for the show he dosent think it will be affected.

The exterior shots of Grandview and Jennifer Love Hewitts store is actually filmed in Courthouse Square (aka the Back to the Future set).

So, what's the latest on the fire? Did they finally manage to put it out? How far did it spread in the end?

Mad UK USH fan here and the news coverage we're getting here is rubbish!!!

LA Times website is saying park will not open today & they made the call at 2:30 pm. About 500 people were still waiting.

idk ive been turning on the news and nothing new yet last i heard was around 11 or 12 they said in about hour or two it should of burned it self out or something.

LA Times website is saying park will not open today & they made the call at 2:30 pm. About 500 people were still waiting.

Smart decision. I would think they should stay closed for a week or so, to give the air a chance to clear. I understand that's unrealistic, but not opening today was clearly the right choice. I saw pictures on yahoo of huge numbers of cars waiting to get in -- what were they thinking? :confused3

Any word on the MTV movie awards?

We live in Santa Clarita, approx. 20 miles north. Got out of work today at 2 pm & could smell the fire in the air.

Hi,

We were at the Studios a month ago while on vacationing at Disneyland. Sad to think that we were on that ride and now some of it is gone. They say King Kong is completely destroyed as well as NY Street. There are 2 Video Vaults. The arrow points to the one that burned. Here are 2 pictures I took while heading down the escalator to the Back Lot Tour:

studios_1396.jpg

studios2527.jpg

Bug

We've just heard the news in Oz, very sad. But our reports are saying that the pyscho building has been damaged, the BTTF set is damaged, King Kong and The Desperate Housewives set...
Our reports are saying that "There has been a fire a USH" whether or not that's supposed to mean it's out...

I don't get how the Psycho house and Colonial Street could have been damaged as they're both nowhere near (within reason) to where the fires broke out/the buildings that have been shown as damaged. I have heard that too though. I hope I'm right... to see either or both of those damaged along with Courthouse Square would be terrible.

Great pics/diagrams btw Bugdozer! :thumbsup2

Nevermind all that...Kong is on the loose......

It wasn't the airplanes that killed the beast, it was beauty, well make that a commercial that went awry.

:confused3

wow i didnt know despret house wifes set got burnt i saw it on a map but not hit..damn cant belive it
yes im hearing cyclone thing and psyco house was destroyed and i didnt know it was two vaults dang

The Psycho house did not burn.

The Desperate Housewives/Wisteria Lane set did not burn.

The MTV awards show was to be held in the Gibson Amphitheater.

This is from the LA Times' website:

39503235.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter