• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Big favor...PLEASE???

Lillypug

Meeska, Mooska, Mickey Mouse!
My son is 6 and has spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy. Ever since we have decided to take him and our 2 year old to Disney in May, he has been very conflicted about it.
You see, he uses a power chair for mobility and physically is very involved. He has very limited use of his hands and legs, and can not sit without support, but he is very bright. He gets sad when we talk about Disney and even told us to go with just Brady, our 2 year old, that it was ok to go without him. This absolutely broke my heart but it finally gave me a clue as to why he was so sad. He is afraid that he will be stuck in his wheelchair and not be able to do any of the fun things. *I* know he will be able to do just about everything Brady will be able to doand once we get there he will have the time of his life, but he does not believe me. On the Disney Vacation Planning DVD there is a shot of a little boy in a wheelchair for like a half of a second and is very easy to miss, so I have no proof to show him that kids in wheelchairs have a blast at Disney.
Would any of you parents of children in wheelchairs or even adults in wheelchairs or scooters please post a pic of you having fun at Disneyworld? I know this would reassure Noah that he will have a blast.

Here is a pic of Noah and Brady for Halloween:
59004722_ddce69cff7.jpg

I'll see if I can post a picture tomorrow (not sure I will be successful), but tell him that my DD also has spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy and she has been on everything except Space Mountain, Big Thunder RR, Rock N Roller Coaster and Mission Space.
She has been on wild rides like Body Wars, Star Tours, the Barnstormer and Tower of Terror. One of her favorite rides is Test Track. She especially enjoyed Kali River Rapids because her grandmother got totally soaked on every waterfall.

Tell your Noah that he looks just the right size to be lifted out of his wheelchair to sit next to you on the seat for those rides where a wheelchair can't come on. That's what we do with DD, but she's getting a little heavy for us old parents.

SueM in MN said:
Tell your Noah that he looks just the right size to be lifted out of his wheelchair to sit next to you on the seat for those rides where a wheelchair can't come on. That's what we do with DD, but she's getting a little heavy for us old parents.

This is our plan. :thumbsup2 : I saw on another post that the wheelchair accessible car is directly behind the engine on the Train at MK and he is going to go nuts when he sees that. He LOVES trains (he still watches The Polar Express every day on his way to school in our van, LOL ;) ) Sitting right behind the engine is going to make him feel like he is driving it! That will be such a magical moment for him. :wizard: :cloud9:

I wish I knew how to post pictures , but I dont. My DD uses a WC and has so much fun at Disney that 3 years ago we moved her from NY to FLa so she could be closer(LOL).

I use an electric wheelchair full-time and can't sit up without complete support. Our last trip to Disney World I spent about 10 hours researching wheelchair accessible rides. I didn’t transfer for any rides and still had a fantastic time.

When the map says ECVs must transfer-it is talking about the 3 wheeled scooters or the chairs Disney rents NOT electric wheelchairs. Here is a list of rides that you can drive your wheelchair directly onto without transferring, sorted by park:

Magic Kingdom---

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin: (note-this ride doesn't fit all electric chairs--my standard Invacare Action electric wheelchair didn't fit-and the shooter is hard to reach, especially with contractures)

Stitches Great Escape (note-the bars that come down on the shoulders could be painful, especially if they are drawn up like mine-I haven’t ridden it-this ride has got a lot of bad reviews)

Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (Takes you through several classic scenes-awesome-easy access)

it’s a small world (easy access)

Liberty Belle Riverboat (Tour around a lake with some props and animatronics-kinda long-chair sits below level of bars, partially blocking view)

Main Street U.S.A.-Railroad-steam train ride (I loved it. Round trip is best, there are scenes along the way. I am not sure if all stops are accessible so get on at Main Street)

Jungle Cruise (recently converted)

The Magic Carpets of Aladdin (too short for some chairs)

All the Character Greeting Areas and shows are wheelchair accessible. There are always spaces for wheelchairs with seats for family members adjoining
(Storytime with Belle, etc. all children sit on the floor up front)

Swiss Family Treehouse and Tom Sawyer Island are impossible for wheelchairs (you can do a roundtrip on the raft that goes to Tom Sawyer Island)

All night-time shows and parades have special wheelchair viewing areas-ask a CM, they're marked on a map-nighttime shows are my favorite and are well worth the wait

Epcot—

Ellen’s Energy Adventure (easily accessible-cute Jeapordy style beginning that then takes you back in time to Dinosaurs)

Journey Into Your Imagination (easily accessible-really cute/fun ride with a fully accessible interactive special effects playground afterwards)

Living with the Land (informational tour about various climates and agriculture)

El Rio Del Tiempo (accessible-boat ride tour of Mexico)

The Living Seas-Nemo & Turtle Talk!! (all areas accessible, although some areas may have alternate access. At your own pace viewing of a live sea aquarium and the new Crush attraction)

The World Showcase (all areas accessible, although some areas may have alternate access)

Street shows are hard to see unless you arrive a little early to sit in front

All the Character Greeting Areas and shows (including Innoventions) are wheelchair accessible (*note: The Kid cot fun stop crafts will be difficult to do unless you have a tray on your wheelchair because the table and chairs are low and the supplies are scattered)

All night-time shows and parades have special wheelchair viewing areas-ask a CM--- nighttime shows are my favorite and are well worth the wait

MGM Studios—

Great Movie Ride (note-this ride doesn't fit all wheelchairs-my standard Invacare action electric wheelchair didn't fit and I had to ride sideways)

All the Character Greeting Areas and shows are wheelchair accessible

MGM has a lot of good shows-especially action/stunts

All night-time shows and parades have special wheelchair viewing areas-ask a CM-—nighttime shows are my favorite and are well worth the wait

Animal Kingdom-

Wildlife Express Train (train that shows you how Disney cares for their animals and takes you to the Conservation Station-may have to back on)

Triceratop Spin (note: I never rode this ride and I am not sure if it accommodates electric wheelchairs or just manual ones)

Kilimanjaro Safaris (mild thrill ride with a guide that drives you through authentic habitats to view real exotic animals-best experienced in the morning. Note: This ride is bumpy. You may need to back in to the ride vehicle.)

All the Character Greeting Areas and shows are wheelchair accessible (*the Boneyard is not. *Conservation is listed as accessible but I didn’t visit it.)

All the nature trails are accessible and have beautiful wildlife. There are many exhibits-a few viewing areas are a little difficult to get to.

The parade has a special wheelchair viewing areas-ask a CM-nighttime shows are my favorite and are well worth the wait

I only transferred to rides when I was younger and stronger. The last trip I didn’t transfer to any rides and still had a fabulous, magical trip with the plentiful wheelchair accessible rides and awesome shows. Always carefully weigh out the risks of transferring.

If he can transfer to a ride like Splash Mountain/Test Track then he'll actually be doing more then his brother!
I hope I helped.

Remember all shows are wheelchair accessible-don't miss the nighttime shows-especially Fantasmic-and don't miss Festival of the Lion King.

If there is anyway he can transfer, I would do it for Soarin’ in Epcot. The ride is awesome. Even I was able to do it. You can pull your chair right up to seat and the movements of the ride are smooth.

Oh and you also see lots of people in wheelchairs!!

Have a great trip!

Christamae

eternaldisneyfan said:
Main Street U.S.A.-Railroad-steam train ride (I loved it. Round trip is best, there are scenes along the way. I am not sure if all stops are accessible so get on at Main Street)
We have been on and off at all stops. All the stops are wheelchair accessible. The easiest to get on and off is Mickey's Toontown. It has a fairly level ramp - you only have to get from ground level to the level of the train. A height difference (my guess) of around 2 feet.
To board at Main Street or Frontierland requires a trip up a steeper, narrower ramp - the train station at each of these stops is elevated, so requires a trip up to the station on the second floor. The Main Street Staion is probably the highest.

Read, with your child, the advice of EternalDisneyFan. WDW is for EVERYONE. :wizard:

Get a GAC. Hopefully, your family can experience most attractions together. For those that you can't, share the explanation. :guilty:

There is so much magic of WDW that is not wild, jerky and fast moving and is accessible to EVERYONE. :wave:

I have been a paraplegic since age 6 and use a manual wheelchair. Your son can do a TON of things in WDW. EternalDisneyFan made an awesome list. I go to WDW pretty much every year and do it all.

If you'd like to PM me with your email, i can share an OFOTO / Kodak photo album with you.

My son is a little more involved than yours - can't "talk" or drive a chair - - (in a way that's good because he can't argue with us! ha ha) anyway - - we lift him out and onto anything and everything we can. HE HAS A BLAST!!!!!!! This is why we bought into DVC because WDW is THE place for us.

Let me know and i'll share the photo album. Your son will have so much fun!!!!

PS - - edited - your post gave me the motivation to finally add a pic to my sig... DH is not there, because this was one of those days he didn't want to get up early.. As you can see, DS is having fun. He loves WDW. OK - - it's too big per signature guidelines... but I will post it further down!

Our daughter is also a spastic quad, is now 20 and has been enjoying WDW since she was a baby. She doesn't like the thrill rides or anything really jerky but there is still so much to do and magic is everywhere at WDW.

Tell Noah he will have a blast!!!!

here's one, it's a bit dark but DD10 is in her wheelchair on BUZZ, they even let us go around 2x so we wouldn't have to get off and back on again (it wasn't that busy, during the halloween party)

92878buzz-med.jpg

you can see others in my trip report (link under my signature) or if you go to the dis community photos
http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/search.php
and search by my user name Joanchris the ones from the trip report are there too, all together.
Have fun! :)

Part of the Boneyard at AK is accessible, I have taken my ECV up there, so a pwer chair would definitley make it...

Oh and on MJ's blog (see my profile) there are a ton of pics of her and I. Some of them have me in my manual WC and some are me on my ECV, when I am in my manual we connect our chairs together (like a double stroller) so it is extra wide and the CM's still found a way to get us on to everything (except the Treehouse and Tom Sawyer Island)

:sunny: Eternaldisneyfan- what awesome info. I am going to print this thread so I can read it to Noah, but I am going to keep your info for reference when we go to the parks. THANK YOU SO MUCH! :grouphug:

:sunny: SueOKW, Jaonchris and mommytomjm- I can't wait to show him these pictures. This is exactly what he needs to see. THANK YOU! You guys are awesome. :grouphug:

:sunny: SueM in MN, michelle9343, spotdog, LindsayDunn228, BCV23 - thank you so much for your replies. All of your info and feedback is so appreciated. Y'all rock! :cheer2: :thumbsup2 :cheer2: :thumbsup2

Can't wait to hear how your trip goes! I'll be sure to post a pic from our march trip...

80013270403_0_ALB.jpg

that's DS in the front with his Uncle holding on to him nice and tight!! Kevin LOVES splash mountain. btw - - he's 11 in this pic.

Thank you sueokw! Noah is going to love seeing this picture! Kevin looks like he is having a blast! LOL I hope Noah will be able to meet the height requirement to ride Splash mountain. I think he would enjoy it. Thank you again! :sunny:

how close is he to the required height? i know they didn't measure kevin, how could they? good luck getting on that ride - it really is the most fun. glad you like the pic!

if you can suggest a free hosting site I can post some pics of dh!! he has cp too and had a blast :Pinkbounc

SueOKW said:
80013270403_0_ALB.jpg

that's DS in the front with his Uncle holding on to him nice and tight!! Kevin LOVES splash mountain. btw - - he's 11 in this pic.

:rotfl2: OMG! I LOVE this picture!!!!! What a blast! I can't wait!!!!! We are going on Friday! :cool1: My dd5 has spastic quad cp also, I will show dh this photo to be sure he has that nice tight grip on her as well! (I think she's tall enough)
I love when pictures capture that perfect moment!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter