• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Big family trip with a Grandparent with mobility issues

mama22

Mouseketeer
We are planning a big family gathering trip in April. It will be 8 adults, 2 teenagers, 3 preschool/school aged children and 2 infants. One of the adults is my father, who has not been to disneyworld in at least 20 years, and is now having mobility issues. He has spinal stenosis and cannot walk for long periods of time without significant discomfort. He is very nervous about not being able to keep up with everyone and "ruining" the trip for us. We have only planned for 2 days in the parks for him and my mother, one day in EPCOT and one day in MK.

We plan on renting a scooter for him but I was wondering if anyone has been in this situation and could offer advise. Due we definitely want a scooter, or would a wheelchair be ok too? Do you rent them upon entering the park? I am thinking we may use it as a stroller, and just park it outside of rides, but I am concerned about him having to stand in a line for a long time and starting to have pain, which can then just get worse as the day progresses.

Any advise or experience with this would be greatly appreciated!

You can rent off site.. as the better option, this way you dont have to bother with getting one each morning.. if you are staying onsite.. you will be able to use it getting back and forth from hotel to parks.. if stating off site you will have the pleasure of transporting it.. so that would be a big deciding factor as to what and where you get a device .I hear they go fast.. getting a scooter would be the way to go. so that he can be more independent. and that way no other adult has to push him.. most of the lines are wheelchair compatible so why use it as stroller? specially if he has trouble standing for long periods of time.. if he is worried about using a scooter.. get him used to using one at the supper markets first.. they may not be the same ,but will give him some idea of how to control one..
hope you all have a great trip.

Does your dad still drive? Just wondering about his reflexes. If he has problems controlling a car, then don't rent a scooter for him -- go with a wheel chair.

If he's still a safe driver, then a scooter can actually be a fun way to get around without wearing himself out.

I would look into renting one off site the line ( if staying on site) for the busses can be very long you can keep it in your room even with a non handy cap room. Some lines are longer then they look so you might be better keeping it with you for most things there will be plenty of time he can walk with out having to leave it that fair from him

Thanks everyone. We are staying onsite at the Poly. I guess I was figuring it would be more difficult to get through transportation with it, but now that I think of it, we should be using the monorail, which should be ok.

He still drives, so he should be able to maneuver a scooter ok, and it would make him more independent. I like the suggestion of having him try it out at the supermarket.

I am figuring we are going to need more time to travel between attractions. Do the let all of us (15!) together through the handicap entrance of queues?

Last edited:
Most lines are handicap assessable so no problem with that the few that are not will let about 6 people in the line the rest needs to go in the regular line you do not have to get anything to show CM at the rides the fact that he has an ECV is all you need

Post #2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread lists some of the more popular ECV/wheelchair vendors -- both featured and non-featured. Featured vendors can utilize Bell Services for drop-off/return while non-featured vendors will arrange to meet him personally and probably give a little tutorial. Practicing at a local store is a good idea. If he finds he isn't comfortable with the ECV, you can always do a wheelchair instead.

Since he only plans to go to MK and Epcot, and staying at the Poly, I don't think transportation will be much issue. He can drive the ECV straight onto the monorail. If he isn't comfortable doing so, someone else can do it for him while he walks on. This is true of buses as well, if he ends up wanting to do more park days and/or Disney Springs.

Most queues at WDW are "mainstreamed" meaning ECVs and wheelchairs can enter the regular queue. For the few attractions where an alternate entrance is necessary, you should expect for your party to split up as that large a group is unlikely to be allowed together. As for more time between attractions... you may find yourselves running to keep up with Dad even on slow/turtle speed!

Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks for the info!

I like the idea of getting a tutorial for the ECV. For some reason, I was assuming he could not enter the regular queues with the ECV!

I'd suggest the wheelchair. You can get it at the parks, or rent one for your stay if he's going lots of places with the family.

The advantage is when he is being pushed he is with the family. He can hear the conversations. He can carry grandchildren on his lap. He can be with the crowd.

ECVs, like driving in rush hour traffic, can be mentally exhausting. He will not be able to keep up with the group conversations while moving, as he needs to be attentive to all that is going on around him. He can't put the grandchildren on his lap. Making him independent is another way of saying the family doesn't need to include him.

As a young teen some of my favorite Disney memories was pushing our older relatives around while chatting with them.

The advantage is when he is being pushed he is with the family. He can hear the conversations. He can carry grandchildren on his lap. He can be with the crowd.

ECVs, like driving in rush hour traffic, can be mentally exhausting. He will not be able to keep up with the group conversations while moving, as he needs to be attentive to all that is going on around him. He can't put the grandchildren on his lap. Making him independent is another way of saying the family doesn't need to include him.

Bad advice. Wheelchair rentals prohibit carrying anyone on your lap. They are for one person only.

We did a large family trip like this a few years ago...My mom, who has MS but was still pretty mobile except for long distances, was with us. We rented a wheelchair from an offsite location. We were VERY happy with that decision for many reasons. The scooters are slower - my family has many 9-13 aged kids and fast walkers and the scooter would have held us back way more than the wheelchair. My mom LOVED that my son pushed her through the parks most of the time - it was great bonding for them and great teaching moment for him to help his grandma when needed. Also she wanted to walk sometimes. So we would leave the wheelchair in the stroller park area when there were two rides that we wanted to do that were right next to each other. We only used it in line when it was really long or she was very tired at the end of the day. She was able to do it based on how she felt - sometimes more walking/less riding and sometimes the opposite. Also when we were done with a ride, my son could run over and grab the wheelchair from the parking area and have it ready for her when she made it off the ride slowly...This saved a ton of time and she would hop in and we would head right to the next destination.

One thing go think about - bus rides. We stayed onsite and had the wheelchair at the resort too...Mom wanted to walk onto the bus and just fold up the wheelchair like if she was usinga stroller, but some of the bus drivers were not comfortable with that and would make her stay in it and be loaded (these days wait for a special bus, right? Not sure as this was 3 years ago). Anyway - this part was a bit of a pain. She would sometimes get on the bus with my stepdad and maybe one other person in our group and the rest of us might have to wait for the next bus. But no way would we take 15 seats on the bus (not allowed anyway). It would have been easier if they just let us treat it like a stroller since she is mobile enough to get on and off the bus herself, but it wasn't a huge deal. Overall - renting the wheelchair was by far the best choice for our group.

We did a large family trip like this a few years ago...My mom, who has MS but was still pretty mobile except for long distances, was with us. We rented a wheelchair from an offsite location. We were VERY happy with that decision for many reasons. The scooters are slower - my family has many 9-13 aged kids and fast walkers and the scooter would have held us back way more than the wheelchair. My mom LOVED that my son pushed her through the parks most of the time - it was great bonding for them and great teaching moment for him to help his grandma when needed. Also she wanted to walk sometimes. So we would leave the wheelchair in the stroller park area when there were two rides that we wanted to do that were right next to each other. We only used it in line when it was really long or she was very tired at the end of the day. She was able to do it based on how she felt - sometimes more walking/less riding and sometimes the opposite. Also when we were done with a ride, my son could run over and grab the wheelchair from the parking area and have it ready for her when she made it off the ride slowly...This saved a ton of time and she would hop in and we would head right to the next destination.

Most of the scooters we saw last week at WDW can easily pace anyone walking, the exception being a the Park-rental scooters (which I have no personal recent experience with since they rolled out the new fleet) My personal scooter can go so fast that my daughter has to jog to keep up with me. What slows me down as an ECV user at the parks is the people who are walking and taking selfies, or otherwise looking at their phones and NOT paying attention. I can't tell you the number of people who walked into me, or right in front of me this past week. Ridiculous. We like to move at a quicker pace, and found that we were constantly being held up by people who were walking LOL.

One thing go think about - bus rides. We stayed onsite and had the wheelchair at the resort too...Mom wanted to walk onto the bus and just fold up the wheelchair like if she was usinga stroller, but some of the bus drivers were not comfortable with that and would make her stay in it and be loaded (these days wait for a special bus, right? Not sure as this was 3 years ago). Anyway - this part was a bit of a pain. She would sometimes get on the bus with my stepdad and maybe one other person in our group and the rest of us might have to wait for the next bus. But no way would we take 15 seats on the bus (not allowed anyway). It would have been easier if they just let us treat it like a stroller since she is mobile enough to get on and off the bus herself, but it wasn't a huge deal. Overall - renting the wheelchair was by far the best choice for our group.

All Disney buses are now equipped with ramps; all DME buses have lifts (although not all DME buses are configured at MCO for lift use)

Any Disney bus at any Disney bus stop that has the available space (2 spaces for wheelchairs and/or scooters) can pick up a person who is on wheels.

Disney does typically require that the HA equipment be driven on board, however, sometimes a family member or companion can take the equipment up the ramp for the guest.

Most of the scooters we saw last week at WDW can easily pace anyone walking, the exception being a the Park-rental scooters (which I have no personal recent experience with since they rolled out the new fleet) My personal scooter can go so fast that my daughter has to jog to keep up with me. What slows me down as an ECV user at the parks is the people who are walking and taking selfies, or otherwise looking at their phones and NOT paying attention. I can't tell you the number of people who walked into me, or right in front of me this past week. Ridiculous. We like to move at a quicker pace, and found that we were constantly being held up by people who were walking LOL.

All Disney buses are now equipped with ramps; all DME buses have lifts (although not all DME buses are configured at MCO for lift use)

Any Disney bus at any Disney bus stop that has the available space (2 spaces for wheelchairs and/or scooters) can pick up a person who is on wheels.

Disney does typically require that the HA equipment be driven on board, however, sometimes a family member or companion can take the equipment up the ramp for the guest.
I don't think an ECV should be going so fast that someone has to jog to keep up. I use an ECV & sometimes I'm fearful of other ECVs that are zig zagging through crowds. I can imagine how people walking must feel when one comes zooming up close to them. An ECV should be used as a way to get around, not a way to get around quickly. As was mentioned, people are not always attentive to what's going on around them. If an ECV runs into a walker, the walker would be most likely to get hurt. I would feel terrible if I ever ran into someone, especially a child. I always go slow & cautious. My family just has to wait for me.

I don't think an ECV should be going so fast that someone has to jog to keep up. I use an ECV & sometimes I'm fearful of other ECVs that are zig zagging through crowds. I can imagine how people walking must feel when one comes zooming up close to them. An ECV should be used as a way to get around, not a way to get around quickly. As was mentioned, people are not always attentive to what's going on around them. If an ECV runs into a walker, the walker would be most likely to get hurt. I would feel terrible if I ever ran into someone, especially a child. I always go slow & cautious. My family just has to wait for me.
I do not think that poster was going fast in crowded areas they just wanted to point out that they could go fast I know some one in an electric wheel chair he goes very slow in crowded area stopping a lot until things are clear for him to go how ever on the way back to our room when no one was around besides the people in his group he went full speed head he also did this a few times like at EPCOT when we came in the back entrance and there was no one around us.

I do agree that every one should be aware of others around them the ride show or what ever will believe it or not still be there when you get there

I never travel in an unsafe fashion when around others - especially in the crowds at Disney World. I have never injured - or struck any one, any where with my scooter. (Although I have been walked into, elbowed, and struck by other guests at WDW) But that was a nice jump to an uninformed conclusion.

The ORIGINAL post that prompted that comment was made by someone who alleged that scooters are slow and will hold people back. I was merely pointing out that scooters are NOT inherently slow, and that often it can be the guests who are walking who slow everyone (literally) to a crawl.

I never travel in an unsafe fashion when around others - especially in the crowds at Disney World. I have never injured - or struck any one, any where with my scooter. (Although I have been walked into, elbowed, and struck by other guests at WDW) But that was a nice jump to an uninformed conclusion.

The ORIGINAL post that prompted that comment was made by someone who alleged that scooters are slow and will hold people back. I was merely pointing out that scooters are NOT inherently slow, and that often it can be the guests who are walking who slow everyone (literally) to a crawl.
I really didn't mean to imply that you have ever struck anyone, but saying that walking guests slow you down sounds as if you go faster than the average walker. I use a scooter myself so I don't mean to sound critical of scooter users. I just see too many going way too fast & some are apparently inexperienced drivers. It's just a safety hazard. As far as the concern about scooters slowing the group down, it can. If we're with my daughter & her double stroller, I have no trouble keeping up. If it's just my husband & I, he'll squeeze through small openings in the crowd that I can't do in my scooter or a group of people will cross in front of me & he's always having to stop & wait for me to catch up.

As some one who as used ECV both off site rental and park rental, I think it depends on your dad's abilities. I would never use a wheel chair as I like my independence and find the ECV's are very easy to use. I do not like the park ones though as they are cumbersome and slow. I prefer the lighter ones that turn easily . I have no problem with the buses, monorails or handling in tight crowds like you will find at the end of Wishes on main street. If your Dad is not anxious in new situations, or doesn't have fear of the controls then he should love it. I chose the speed I want to go depending on crowd around me as you do have to go at a snails pace at times but walkers with strollers have to do the same thing not to run into people. I have rented for my sister in law and frankly she was a mess trying to control it so you don't know till you try. Last trip I didn't get one as I was with my toddler grand son and didn't want him riding on it for safety reasons so I suffered walking full time. Decided to try a park rental for one painful day and just felt it was too slow, big and inconvenient. EVC's are a godsend for those of us who still very young at heart who want to travel solo at times.

If my family expected me to hold the grandchildren on my lap while I drive the ECV - that would be the reason I would stay home. I am not on a "ride" in my ECV - it is my legs! Please understand the difference between a ride and necessary transportation.

Thank u!

And - no - I don't enjoy driving the ECV & taking the easy way out. I would rather be walking with you!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter