Big and tall ECV rental?

Wadecool

DIS Veteran
For our upcoming trip to WDW, I will be renting an ECV for the first time. I am 50 and have foot and knee issue that don’t allow me to walk great distances.

I'm 6'7" and about 375lbs. The largest ECV that most places rent and is supposed to be "transportable" is the Prime Victory 10 and has a max weight of 400lbs. The next size up is the Prime Maxima with a 500lb capacity, but isn't supposed to be transportable due to more being involved with disassembly, however I am mechanically inclined and Although I have mobility issues, my strength is still above average so lifting 75-100lbs isn't an issue. I'm bringing a full size pickup with a tonneau cover so I'll have plenty of room for anything i get. The Victory 10 looks like it may not have enough legroom for me and i'm concerned about being so close to the maximum capacity. What are your thoughts on all this? Are my concerns legitimate?

Thanks in advance.

Walker Mobility has a scooter that goes up to 450 lbs. I don't know about accommodation for your height, as my hubby is about 5'10". He had no trouble with the weight capacity of the scooter (but he's well below the 450, but too big for their smaller scooter). You might want to give them a call. Theirs are transportable, but you should verify with them.

Last edited:
I rented the larger scooter from Walker Mobility for the last 2 years in a row. I had excellent customer service and a great scooter so I would definitely recommend them. I am a 5'7" 320 lb female so I am not sure about the legroom but I would guess it would be adequate. The scooter does come apart for transport with no piece weighing more than 50 lbs I think. My DH and I were able to disassemble and load into the back of my SUV without difficulty. Somewhere I have a photo of me on the scooter. I've posted before but I'll try and post again. I requested bright pink so I could spot it easily in the parks but they also have red and blue. In the picture the legroom looks short but I think you legs can extend on either side of the steering column.

They have a nice video on their website showing how the scooter disassembles.

Last edited:
For our upcoming trip to WDW, I will be renting an ECV for the first time. I am 50 and have foot and knee issue that don’t allow me to walk great distances.

I'm 6'7" and about 375lbs. The largest ECV that most places rent and is supposed to be "transportable" is the Prime Victory 10 and has a max weight of 400lbs. The next size up is the Prime Maxima with a 500lb capacity, but isn't supposed to be transportable due to more being involved with disassembly, however I am mechanically inclined and Although I have mobility issues, my strength is still above average so lifting 75-100lbs isn't an issue. I'm bringing a full size pickup with a tonneau cover so I'll have plenty of room for anything i get. The Victory 10 looks like it may not have enough legroom for me and i'm concerned about being so close to the maximum capacity. What are your thoughts on all this? Are my concerns legitimate?

Thanks in advance.

I would narrow down your vendor selections to a handful (say 2 or 3) and then call them directly. They are the experts on which ECV in their fleet will be the best "fit" for you. If you intend to drive the rental ECV all the way through most queues, be sure to let them know that you want something that can make tight turns easily. You can actually rent ECVs that are nearly the size of a small golf cart - but they won't be allowed in the Parks, or on any Disney Transportation, so make sure that whatever you rent falls within Disney's guidelines (which every reputable Orlando vendor already know)

You are about to see Disney from a whole new perspective, even though seated you are probably still taller than me! You are going to see a veritable ocean of human behinds, and you will make eye contact with a whole lot more kids in strollers than you ever thought about! Oh, and get ready, because you *will* hear at least once "You're so lucky to have a place to sit!" (often with just a wee bit of sarcasm LOL)

There's tons of other advice we can give too - or you can search this board for "first time scooter tips" or similar.

My husband is 6'4 and 350 LBS and he has used both the Victory 10 3 wheel scooter and 4 wheel scooter. They both come apart for easy transport. The 4 wheel is a bit more stable with his height. We have used every brand out there, and the Pride Victory has been the most easy to drive and the most trouble free. A lot of companies rent the no name import knock off scooters, and we have had nothing but issues with them. There are a lot of companies rent the pride Victory scooters. When your looking around to decide who to rent from alway always always check the reviews on yelp they give you good idea of who is good and who is not for local rentals. We didn't last month on a Las Vegas trip and boy the issues we had. Good Luck!

DH is 6'2" and around 400 lbs, he has a Victory 10.2 that he uses (purchased from Gold Mobility) and it works well for him. Yes, there will be a hit to the battery with the weight, but it still should easily last all day.

Could you get ramps and drive the scooter on your truck?
The Victory is rated for 400 lbs but your battery life is reduced once go go over 300 lbs, per a conversation with Gold.
That is an idea I’m considering. I have some ramps I use for a 4 wheeler. I’m afraid it’ll bottom out at the transition between ramp and tailgate. I’ll bring them and try it though.

That is an idea I’m considering. I have some ramps I use for a 4 wheeler. I’m afraid it’ll bottom out at the transition between ramp and tailgate. I’ll bring them and try it though.
You could split the difference. Remove the seat and battery to reduce the weight. Push it up the ramp.

Seriously, the 10.2 should be fine at your weight, especially with the higher capacity batteries that Gold Mobility is now using. DH is over your weight and a charge usually lasts 12+ hours on his scooter with the smaller 40 AH batteries.

They are now using 50 AH batteries and his scooter is having some issues that will hopefully be repaired next week, but the issues are causing extra battery usage and he still does fine.

With the scooter in top working condition (which theirs generally are and if not, talk to them, they will fix it) and the larger batteries, you will be fine. In general if you are well within the weight limit you won't loose any bars of charge during a full park day as long as you remember to turn it off when stopped, except at Animal Kingdom you may loose 1. If you start getting close to the weight limit, you may loose 2 to 3 by the end of the day, still plenty of power.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter