• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique + Two Autistic Toddlers/Preschoolers

Ella de Vil

She's practically human, or so it would seem
Yay or nay? Any experiences?

It's looking like it'll be about this time next year when we go, at which time they'll be 3.5. They are 2.5 now. One little lady is basically non-reactive and hyposensitive, and the other is hypersensitive and afraid of new things to the point that she ran away from presents this Christmas (which was adorable... ). Currently, neither are functionally verbal.

I've heard people say they brought their autistic daughters to the boutique and the girls loved it, but they were always older than mine.

The reason we likely won't wait longer is because of the costume age limit and the age of our second-eldest, who turns ten in May of next year. I want most of my children to be able to do this together if it is an option.

I would book the appointment at the end of the trip and then take then to "visit" the castle to see if they are interested at the start of your vacation.This way if you need to cancel you can without costing money as you must cancel before 24 hours( some other little girl will fill the spot so no worried:). I would really be worried about your daughter with anxiety. I would have a back up plan...

As the other poster mentioned, many 10 year old dont want the princess experience, so I would see if the 10 yr old even wants to do it. I would probably ask closer to the time, since she may want to do it now, but not be into it when you go. If she really wants to do it, I would consider doing it as an only older kids experience for only those who want it.

For the other 2 younger children, I would personally not advise it because there are many elements to the experience that most people with autism find difficult or don't like.
The only people who have posted here who took children with autism who loved it had children who were older, the child was able to express their feelings and the child really, really wanted to do it.
I would be very cautious, especially if your 2 can't express themselves. If they don't like it, that will impact the older girls who really want to be there.

These are the issues I can see:
- the first issue is the sit. People have posted that the whole transformation takes up to 45 minutes; much of it sitting nicely in the styling chair. During their time in the chair, other kids nearby will be getting sprayed and glittered, which may be more activity and stimulation than your kids can tolerate.

- the hairstyles are uncomfortable even for children without autism. The basic hairstyle is a tight bun on the top of the head. It is sprayed or gelled to the point of the hair not moving. Glitter is added.
If your children do not like their hair combed or styled, they will not enjoy the experience of doing the hair. And, once it is done, the hairstyle is going to 'feel' different than their hair normally feels, which many children (even the younger ones without autism) may not like.
Getting the gel, spray and glitter out is not an easy wash or comb. So unless your children really like hair washing and combing, getting it out will be an issue.

- the second part of the makeover is make up. That will involve strangers touching the girls and putting on make up. Some of the younger kids (even without any sensory issues) don't like the experience or the feeling of makeup on their skin once it is on.
Again, afterwards, removal of the makeup will involve some scrubbing.

Those are the basic package things.
As was mentioned, the dresses you can buy there are scratchy and uncomfortable for many kids. Quite a few parents of small kids without autism have posted that their child did not like the feel of the dress and wanted it off right away.
The dress is additional, so you don't have to buy it. Some kids wear their regular clothes or an alternate more comfortable dress.

I agree...this would be an iffy proposition if they were neuro-typical. See if the 10 yr old wants to do it and see what the little ones think about it for another time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter