Beyond confused about morning-of transportation! Help!

So the buses from MCO are the "ground transportation" that are $39/person and run starting at 9. Am I getting it?

Would you take your chances with those buses or limo it? (personal preference)

We always fly in the day before and stay at the Hyatt inside of the airport. We pay for Disney transfers and go down a little bit before they start. There will be people down pretty early waiting in line. They do a first come, first served as far as the buses go. They are very organized and you check in at the desk and they assign you a to a bus. When it is your turn, they call you up, you line up and they check your ID before you get on the bus. You will get to the terminal before they start the boarding process. One of the benefits of booking your transportation through Disney is that if by some chance something happens to the bus, like a flat tire and you are running late, they will hold the ship for you. If you use your own transportation and they get a flat tire, there is a chance that you might miss the cruise. Small, but still. And do fly in the day before. There are so many delays with airlines now.

One thing no one has mentioned is that if you take Disney transportation the vacation feels like it starts at the airport. When you check in you don't get a boarding number for the bus, you get a character card and that is what they call to get your group boarded. First group would be Mickey Mouse, when that bus is full the will call Minnie Mouse and so on. The buses are all decorated with port holes and of course, more characters.

Once on the bus they play a movie about what to expect on the ship which, as many times as I've seen it, is always interesting. After that they play some Disney cartoons. Everyone is in a great holiday mood and you can feel the excitement.

What I'm trying to say is don't discount the fact that DCL sets this all up in a way that makes your vacation start immediately even though you haven't boarded yet. They give you that Disney start and the anticipation builds from there. Well worth the $39 pp especially if its your first time cruising DCL. We have mostly moved on to other cruise lines however we did a Fantasy sailing in October and took the bus from the airport, which we have done lots, and it just never gets old.
Enjoy your cruise!

We've taken private transport and the DCL bus. I much prefer the bus given that they take your bags and the next time you see them is your stateroom. With private transport you get dropped at the curb and you have to get a porter to take your bags (tip them too) and then start the boarding process. With the bus, you get on, you arrive, you check in and then you get on the ship when your boarding group is called. We love staying at the Hyatt before hand too. Super convenient.

I’m a cheapskate, but if I were flying in the morning of the cruise I would absolutely spring for the official DCL transfers. Imagine your vehicle gets a flat tire and is delayed. The ship won’t wait for you if you’ree on Joe’s Random Florida Shuttle. I would do it for the peace of mind.

The only time I've heard of late arrivals at port using DCL transfers is when they're coming from WDW hotels. The buses generally don't pick up until around noon, so you won't arrive at port until 1:30 or so. But even then, I've never heard 4 pm. Enjoy your first cruise! Hopefully you'll get hooked like the rest of us! :-)

The only time I've heard of late arrivals at port using DCL transfers is when they're coming from WDW hotels. The buses generally don't pick up until around noon, so you won't arrive at port until 1:30 or so. But even then, I've never heard 4 pm. Enjoy your first cruise! Hopefully you'll get hooked like the rest of us! :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter