Beyond Big Thunder

Brayden from Mickey Views just posted an informative video update with rumors for "Beyond Big Thunder."

The rumors from his sources indicate that the two themed areas will be "villains" and "desert" (although desert seems to be Brayden's own term...since he used it back when the concept was Coco and Encanto, which are certainly NOT desert themed).

Radiator Springs Racers is the current major attraction being discussed for the desert/southwest area to pair with Thunder Mountain (but NOT a full Cars land, just this ride), and there is potential for a Woody themed attraction (with the western Woody's Roundup aesthetic).

Despite having many sources, he says he has not heard a peep about potential attractions for the villains area and it is Disney's currently best kept secret. All he knows is that its been in Blue Sky for many years, and that the Haunted Mansion restaurant appears to be axed.

Also sad news: there's a strong possibility that Rivers of America gets shortened or removed altogether. I think shortening the river will be necessary but I REALLY hope they don't remove it and the Liberty Belle. Please Disney Imagineers: Dont make the same mistake you did with Galaxy's Edge! Part of what makes this area of MK special is the kinetic energy! You can walk by the pleasant water, hear the horn blow as the steamboat pulls out of the dock, spy a raft crossing the river to Tom Sawyer's Island, and hear people scream as logs cascade down Splash Mountain/Tiana's and the train from Big Thunder races around the bend. We can't lose that energy. Shrink the river if you must, but removing it altogether would be an enormous mistake.
The rumors are being started by users on the WDWMagic forums, and on WDWNT!

Brayden consistently breaks stories before they are officially announced because he is friends with a few low level people in Imagineering. A rumor is a rumor, but I don't think he would report on them (based on his history) unless he also heard rumblings from his contacts.

Plans change all the time of course, so things could look totally different, ride ideas swapped in and out etc, by the time the announcement comes. But I dont think he would make a video based on forum posts (in the past he has even referenced various forum/internet rumors and compared them to what he has heard from his contacts).

Brayden consistently breaks stories before they are officially announced because he is friends with a few low level people in Imagineering. A rumor is a rumor, but I don't think he would report on them (based on his history) unless he also heard rumblings from his contacts.

Plans change all the time of course, so things could look totally different, ride ideas swapped in and out etc, by the time the announcement comes. But I dont think he would make a video based on forum posts (in the past he has even referenced various forum/internet rumors and compared them to what he has heard from his contacts).
I definitely take less salt grains with him especially as there were some things (country bears) not on anyone’s radar but he commented about it as a rumor before destination d23

Radiator Springs Racers is the current major attraction being discussed for the desert/southwest area to pair with Thunder Mountain (but NOT a full Cars land, just this ride), and there is potential for a Woody themed attraction (with the western Woody's Roundup aesthetic).

If it is RSR, I hope they announce it by saying "Beyond Big Thunder is... Big Lightning!"

The rumors are being started by users on the WDWMagic forums, and on WDWNT!
Exactly. I don’t see Radiator Springs Racers being added when it’s very similar to Test Track. And why would they add a Toy Story ride in MK when they already have a whole Toy Story land in DHS? (And before someone mentions Buzz Lightyear, that ride was in MK for years before they opened the whole Toy Story Land at DHS). I think these are just speculations by folks of what films/characters/established rides could match with a western theme to go with Big Thunder. I wouldn’t take these rumors with any more weight than any of the ideas those of us here have been tossing around.

I definitely take less salt grains with him especially as there were some things (country bears) not on anyone’s radar but he commented about it as a rumor before destination d23
Brayden also called this one, which kinda came out of nowhere. (I believe his specific tweet on the matter was something to the effect of "Zootopia is coming to AK but not how you think") I'm not sure how much I'd trust his word above other insiders, and I'm not convinced that what he's saying here *will* happen, but what he says certainly has more weight than a lot of people commenting in this thread.

Brayden from Mickey Views just posted an informative video update with rumors for "Beyond Big Thunder."

The rumors from his sources indicate that the two themed areas will be "villains" and "desert" (although desert seems to be Brayden's own term...since he used it back when the concept was Coco and Encanto, which are certainly NOT desert themed).

Despite having many sources, he says he has not heard a peep about potential attractions for the villains area and it is Disney's currently best kept secret. All he knows is that its been in Blue Sky for many years, and that the Haunted Mansion restaurant appears to be axed.

Also sad news: there's a strong possibility that Rivers of America gets shortened or removed altogether. I think shortening the river will be necessary but I REALLY hope they don't remove it and the Liberty Belle. Please Disney Imagineers: Dont make the same mistake you did with Galaxy's Edge! Part of what makes this area of MK special is the kinetic energy! You can walk by the pleasant water, hear the horn blow as the steamboat pulls out of the dock, spy a raft crossing the river to Tom Sawyer's Island, and hear people scream as logs cascade down Splash Mountain/Tiana's and the train from Big Thunder races around the bend. We can't lose that energy. Shrink the river if you must, but removing it altogether would be an enormous mistake.
Please no Radiator Springs Racers. Loved the ride the few times I’ve been to Cali Adventure but give us something new. Hate that they made the two Galaxys edge exactly the same for example. We don’t need a 30 year old ride mechanism, innovate baby!!!!!

I agree totally. It would be beyond stupid to alter Rivers of America or anything in that area.
I understand what you are saying. I'm not trying to pick a fight. Stupidity has nothing to do with this decision. Fear does.

You need to understand that TWDC is removing "racist" theming. Rivers of America and Tom Sawyer's Island cannot co-exist with TWDC's inclusion key (and desire to incorporate IP theming in their parks). There is literally no way. And, if TWDC chooses to expand MK, this is the perfect opportunity for TWDC to make significant changes to WDW to remove more "racist" theming.

If I was a betting man (and coincidentally I am) I'm thinking that TWDC believes that there is nothing inclusive about Tom Sawyer or the source material. Some schools have actually removed Tom Sawyer from cirriculum. Schools often cite racism or other inappropriate race based language concerns. It makes no sense to have a rethemed island if you are going to build around the north/northwest side of MK. Just eliminate the island, the boat and the river altogether and insert some IP (any IP) and call it fulfilling their goal for diversity and inclusivity. And, to buttress this argument, TWDC doesn't care if the new IP attraction is popular IP, see e.g. Tron:LR.

For anyone who reads this post and thinks that TWDC doesn't make decisions out of fear, go look at the history about the Israel pavilion in EP that never came to be. Fear is a motivation for TWDC to make decisions. I'm old enough to remember the billboard for Israel when I went to EP as a kid (my recollection was it was adjacent to the Morocco pavilion, but I was quite young and may mis-remember).

Removal of Tom Sawyer Island and Rivers of America is like Thanos...inevitable.

To give you an idea the area we're talking about. It REALLY is a lot of available space. The only thing I can't figure out is how they plan on opening the dead end at Haunted Mansion/Small World.

If they're going to connect this new land on both sides, it's really going to have to do a weird button hook near HM. View attachment 849371View attachment 849372
Isn't that the space for the rumored Haunted Mansion themed restaurant? Maybe that's how they open that area up?

I should have kept reading and I would have seen Brayden saying the restaurant is cancelled. Though the restaurant was never officially announced by Disney.

I understand what you are saying. I'm not trying to pick a fight. Stupidity has nothing to do with this decision. Fear does.

You need to understand that TWDC is removing "racist" theming. Rivers of America and Tom Sawyer's Island cannot co-exist with TWDC's inclusion key (and desire to incorporate IP theming in their parks). There is literally no way. And, if TWDC chooses to expand MK, this is the perfect opportunity for TWDC to make significant changes to WDW to remove more "racist" theming.

If I was a betting man (and coincidentally I am) I'm thinking that TWDC believes that there is nothing inclusive about Tom Sawyer or the source material. Some schools have actually removed Tom Sawyer from cirriculum. Schools often cite racism or other inappropriate race based language concerns. It makes no sense to have a rethemed island if you are going to build around the north/northwest side of MK. Just eliminate the island, the boat and the river altogether and insert some IP (any IP) and call it fulfilling their goal for diversity and inclusivity. And, to buttress this argument, TWDC doesn't care if the new IP attraction is popular IP, see e.g. Tron:LR.

For anyone who reads this post and thinks that TWDC doesn't make decisions out of fear, go look at the history about the Israel pavilion in EP that never came to be. Fear is a motivation for TWDC to make decisions. I'm old enough to remember the billboard for Israel when I went to EP as a kid (my recollection was it was adjacent to the Morocco pavilion, but I was quite young and may mis-remember).

Then that means you also think both Disney’s The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Disney’s Tom & Huck should be removed from Disney+, because they’re based on banned literature! Don’t be such a "Ken". Per Theme Park Insider:
Iger said that Disney will be filing permits, presumably with the Southwest Florida Water Management District, for construction preparation on a site west of Frontierland. A graphic shown by Iger showed a work area that spans both the waterway connecting the Rivers of America with the Seven Seas Lagoon as well as Floridian Place, north of Maple Road.
That indicates that RoA and TSI are safe.

I actually think Radiator Springs would be a great addition to the Magic Kingdom. It fits thematically with Big Thunder Mountain, it's a popular attraction for all ages and has merch potential. It's also an underutilized franchise at Walt Disney World.

Toy Story, no thanks.

Most people don't go to all the Disney Parks. If you are on the East coast or in the Midwest/South, you're more likely going to Walt Disney World. Same with Disneyland and the West Coast. You'd have to be a true Disney nerd to go to both on any regular basis.

It's inevitable, but not for the reasons you cite. Those attractions are on premium land, have outlived their utility, should be replaced to increase capacity and appeal to the current crowds.

It's not the 1950's anymore. Davy Crockett isn't on TV. Riding a steamboat around a fake island on a track isn't all that thrilling.

Some of these attractions like Tom Sawyer Island, The Liberty Square Riverboat, Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, etc. have had a good run, but attendance is low and it's time to move on.

Disney should take a page from Silver Dollar City or even Tokyo Disneyland. Announce the attractions are closing in 1 year, have a 1 year "goodbye" event for them and close the book in a respectful way.

50+ years was a good run. These are theme parks, not museums.

It's inevitable, but not for the reasons you cite. Those attractions are on premium land, have outlived their utility, should be replaced to increase capacity and appeal to the current crowds.

It's not the 1950's anymore. Davy Crockett isn't on TV. Riding a steamboat around a fake island on a track isn't all that thrilling.

Some of these attractions like Tom Sawyer Island, The Liberty Square Riverboat, Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, etc. have had a good run, but attendance is low and it's time to move on.

Disney should take a page from Silver Dollar City or even Tokyo Disneyland. Announce the attractions are closing in 1 year, have a 1 year "goodbye" event for them and close the book in a respectful way.

50+ years was a good run. These are theme parks, not museums.
I was agreeing with you until you included Carousel of Progress. Pump your brakes kid, that ride's a national treasure. :cool2: But it could use an update, and I think the Riverboat can stay if it's repurposed as Tiana's restaurant with maybe Louis playing music.

Attractions shouldn't be "thrilling". They should be entertaining.

Well, they can be both - but not all attractions need to be thrilling.

I was agreeing with you until you included Carousel of Progress. Pump your brakes kid, that ride's a national treasure. :cool2: But it could use an update, and I think the Riverboat can stay if it's repurposed as Tiana's restaurant with maybe Louis playing music.

I love COP but it could definitely use an update. It should probably go 1900's, 1940's, 1980's, then today. If they could squeeze another scene that would be great, but I don't see how that could be done without massively reconfiguring the building.

Then that means you also think both Disney’s The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Disney’s Tom & Huck should be removed from Disney+, because they’re based on banned literature!

First, that's not what I think. I am not advocating removing these films from D+ and I do not advocate warnings or changes to the film either.

Second, you're suggestion that I think that is not warranted. I am on record that Splash Mountain shouldn't be rethemed to TBA and it is a mistake to retheme it.

Third, my reaction and opinions about TSI and related areas are based solely upon the direction I see TWDC headed using recent announcements (inclusion key and expansion of MK) and recent history (changes to JC, PoTC, CBJ, SPLASH, etc.) Frankly, I wouldn't at all be shocked if Liberty Square has planned changes too (e.g. stockades are removed and the 13 lanterns in liberty tree will be removed).

I honestly believe that TWDC sees the parks as better with these changes. I don't necessarily agree, andI don't think I am Bob Iger's burner account on the DIS Boards. Or am I?

I never had an issue with the Splash Mountain theme. I am in my early 30s now and I never even knew what it was based off of until I was in my 20s. I don't think many reasonable people see the briar animals and think to much about it. I don't think they should have updated it but here we are.

I do, however, think that they should get rid of Tom Sawyer Island and Rivers of America if they end up doing beyond Big Thunder. I would rather they start that whole area from scratch vs trying to work around something that is usually way down on people's to do list.

First, that's not what I think. I am not advocating removing these films from D+ and I do not advocate warnings or changes to the film either.

Second, you're suggestion that I think that is not warranted. I am on record that Splash Mountain shouldn't be rethemed to TBA and it is a mistake to retheme it.

Third, my reaction and opinions about TSI andm related areas are based solely upon the direction I see TWDC headed using recent announcements (inclusion key and expansion of MK) and recent history (changes to JC, PoTC, CBJ, SPLASH, etc.) Frankly, I wouldn't at all be shocked if Liberty Square has planned changes too (e.g. stockades are removed and the 13 lanterns in liberty tree will be removed).

I honestly believe that TWDC sees the parks as better with these changes. I don't necessarily agree, andI don't think I am Bob Iger's burner account on the DIS Boards. Or am I?
I'm slowly coming to the realization that Bob Iger/senior DIS management care little about what we muggles who cruise and attend parks think or say. We're but sheep to be shorn for the wool. Nothing more.

He's way above us, and pays attention to what the Hollywood Elite tell him. His entire professional career has been that way ever since he started as a TV weatherman. He ain't gonna change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter