Beware when upgrading to an AP

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbssenterprises

DIS Veteran
OK. so I purchased through an outside vendor (we all use them, very reputable).....So I arrive and go to TTC and try to upgrade my NEVER used 5 day park hopper PLUS to a Premiere AP (the one without the waterparks that is $849 and then $55 tax, for a total of $904)

Well, things got so confusing that they ended up charging me a total of $949. They tried to tell me that the 5 day never used Park Hopper with PLUS was only valued at $463. With everything they charged me for, the total came to $949.

So, I'm going to have to work this out somehow....

Just be careful!!!!

I remember reading somewhere that if you don’t use the ticket they know it was a discount ticket and give you the value of what you paid. To get the full ticket price you have to actually use it to get in the park one day first before trying to upgrade. I haven’t tried it but researched it as a possibility for my next trip, but then I got free dining so I had to buy the tickets from Disney.

What SG131 said, plus before you use it some of those tickets show up as four day tickets ( if they are buy four 4 days get one free) it is always best to use tickets before upgrading, just tap into the park and then go to guest services.

They might be able to help you out at guest relations, just please be patient and respectful.

Agree with previous posters, also it's a good idea to work out the math beforehand so you know exactly what you should be charged. If they are charging you a different amount, ask for the manager or just ask for your tickets back and try a different Guest Relations .
Read Robo's post, he explains in great detail, and then you can always come back here to have someone check your math!

Good Luck!

What SG131 said, plus before you use it some of those tickets show up as four day tickets ( if they are buy four 4 days get one free)

I'm sorry, but that's not a situation that can happen.
There are no tickets created that are "4 days, plus one day free" so they can't be "confused" with a 5 day ticket.
The ticket that is issued to the purchaser is a regular 5-day ticket sold at the price of a 4-day ticket.
(The "one day free" is mentioned as just an advertising hook.)

I'm sorry, but that's not a situation that can happen.
There are no tickets created that are "4 days, plus one day free" so they can't be "confused" with a 5 day ticket.

My mistake, I've never heard of this actually happening, but was told by a cast member that it would if I didn't use my ticket before upgrading. That is what I get for repeating information from a cast member. I should know better.

OK. so I purchased through an outside vendor (we all use them, very reputable).....So I arrive and go to TTC and try to upgrade my NEVER used 5 day park hopper PLUS to a Premiere AP (the one without the waterparks that is $849 and then $55 tax, for a total of $904)

Well, things got so confusing that they ended up charging me a total of $949. They tried to tell me that the 5 day never used Park Hopper with PLUS was only valued at $463. With everything they charged me for, the total came to $949.

So, I'm going to have to work this out somehow....

Just be careful!!!!

Look at the ticket sticky, maybe ask Robo for sure, and if they got it wrong write in with the situation and get it fixed.

I had let my pass expire because of work travelling and took a 4 month hiatus. When I went back, I had an 8 Day ticket I bought with a rather substantial discount, went to Disney springs, unused ticket in hand and then got the full gate price as the credit towards the AP. That was just in May. They have no way of knowing what you paid for a ticket. They are not coded. An AP holder can even buy a "resell" ticket and use it as credit, at full gate price, towards a renewal. The bridging process has been around a long time and not worth them investing time to closing because so few people know about it or use it.

They have no way of knowing what you paid for a ticket. They are not coded.
This is not exactly true. Now that Disney has set expiration dates on tickets they definitely know the max price that each ticket is worth based on its expiration date (or lack there of). I have no expiration date tickets (bought prior to the new expiration policy in 2017). If/when I try to upgrade those tickets I’m only going to get $467 instead of the
$521 they are currently charging for the same ticket. By setting expiration dates Disney is definitely trying to assign a max value to park tickets enabling them to collect upgrade fees if people try to use older tickets bought at lower prices. I don’t believe they currently have any way of knowing the exact amount you paid a company like Under Cover tourist though so I believe they will as of now upgrade the ticket to the max value based on its expiration date (2018, 2019 or no expiration)

You always need to know what you expect to pay. I bought tickets from Disney directly and still had to show them what I should have to pay. I had it all written down, with prices taken straight from their website. So I could show them what was going on. And that was for tickets that had no price increases to contend with.

I was speaking in terms of they dont know if it was bought from them directly or from a reseller. They know date issued, but, not who sold it.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally get the one that is good for WDW and Disneyland? That is called the Premier passport and would be about the right amount you were charged. The one for just WDW with waterparks is called the Platinum plus. Might want to double check that isn't the mistake they made.

I was speaking in terms of they dont know if it was bought from them directly or from a reseller. They know date issued, but, not who sold it.
They absolutely know if you purchased the ticket directly from Disney. In that case, they know exactly what you paid for it. They don’t “bridge” those tickets.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally get the one that is good for WDW and Disneyland? That is called the Premier passport and would be about the right amount you were charged. The one for just WDW with waterparks is called the Platinum plus. Might want to double check that isn't the mistake they made.

The way I read the OP is that the total payment for the AP upgrade (INCLUDING the $463 amount that the CM mistakenly allowed for the original ticket was $949.
(Not that the OP was charged $949 PLUS the $463 value of the original ticket.)

The way I read the OP would mean that the cost of a WDW/DLP Premier AP is far more expensive than what the OP was up-charged.

That "dual-coast" AP costs $1,579 plus tax

Last edited:
I only buy direct. I would not risk saving a few bucks and dealing with a reseller. That's just me though. I'm too paranoid about second market anything. I don't trust it.

OP--A few months ago I upgraded a 7-day PH that I bought from UT. I won't bore you--or myself--with the math, but I had calculated what the cost for the AP upgrade would be and WDW charged me more than I expected. But I'd upgraded on my way home from the park and was tired, so I didn't do anything about it.

Then I wrote to Robo on the ticket thread and asked if my calculations were correct. They were. WDW was incorrect. Next day I went to Guest Services at MK and explained what had happened. The CM went into the back, then returned and told me that, no, the amount they charged me was correct. Hmmmm.

I believe I double-checked with Robo at that point, just to make sure I hadn't miscalculated. No, my numbers were right. So the next day I went to Guest Services at DAK--figured I'd give another park a chance!--and was told not only that the price I was charged was correct but--get this!--that the WDW computers are infallible!

Robo gave me the telephone number for WDW Tickets--it's on the ticket thread--and told me to call when I got home. That people had had success getting the price difference refunded to them even after their trip was over. I followed Robo's advice and, sure enough, I'd been overcharged. It was about $45, iirc, and the person I spoke with on the phone was able to refund the difference to my credit card.

BTW, I kept the receipt for the initial upgrade, so I had a receipt number, etc.

So . . . keep your receipt and don't get convinced that the CM is correct if you know they're not.

Yeah, it was a very annoying experience. Drove my DH nuts.

Not only does it help to know the price difference before trying to upgrade, I've had good luck asking the CMs at Guest Services if that amount is correct. For instance, I start the conversation with something like, "I'm thinking of upgrading my X-day ticket to an AP. I hear that would cost $XXX. Is that correct? If so, I'll upgrade right now." I've had one talk to a manager before letting me walk.

I only buy direct. I would not risk saving a few bucks and dealing with a reseller. That's just me though. I'm too paranoid about second market anything. I don't trust it.

It is Disney who has set up the "authorized resellers/discounters" and it is Disney who actually prints the resellers' tickets and then
sends out those tickets to be re-sold to guests.

So, the "authorized resellers" are not a subculture of independent sales teams that somehow find secret supplies of shady WDW tickets. ;)
They actually perform a service that Disney has chosen not to do themselves.

There's a time-honored business axiom that states:
Don't give away (or discount) your OWN product on a regular basis.
(It lowers the perceived value of your goods/services.)
Instead, let OTHERS do the "sales" on your traditionally high-quality product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter