Beware of Very Cold Lazy River

OK, let's assume that no investment money is ever used. Only excess salary. If one person pays cash, and another finances 100% of the initial buy in for 10 years (a very bad idea), for the first ten years the yearly cost is almost exactly the same. One pays rack rates, the other pays Maint Fees and payments on the loan.

After ten years, the first is still paying cash, the second has paid off the loan and the cost drops to less than half.

Both still have exactly the same investment portfolio. If the dvc member chooses to sell early after the loan is paid, they are WAY ahead.

No matter what, there is no cash rate or discount that will beat DVC if you pay the long game

You're still using rack rates. I don't pay rack rates. No one should.

Discounts and renting DVC points are options.

You're still using rack rates. I don't pay rack rates. No one should.

Discounts and renting DVC points are options.
I think most If not all the DVC projections used a 25% discount, which is what is available to most people, and the numbers do work.

I believe many people finance their DVC purchase so I would urge those planning to do that route crunch those numbers.

That said, DVC works for us b/c we prefer suite type rooms and travel to Disney enough yearly just as a baseline and don’t feel a FOMO about funds that would go to other trips. It’s a highly personal calculus.

Okay. Not really sure what you are trying to accomplish. I will never buy a timeshare. It's not a good use of my money.

Thank you for your service as a military spouse.

I don’t think anyone wants YOU to. If you don’t travel often, are OK with hotel room size accommodations, and when you do travel it’s on a discount that most people don’t have access to…then I agree that it wouldn’t make sense for you at all.

I think other posters want to disprove your earlier comments where you implied that it doesn’t make sense for anyone and is basically a rip off.

For people who want to travel to Aulani/Disneyland/WDW every 1-3 years, want deluxe accommodations and larger room sizes, and have the upfront capital…. It has been and COULD be a great long term deal.

It’s cold in Austin today. Any word on lazy river temps at Aulani?

Just a subject changer. Hate it when mom and dad fight. 😂

Okay. Not really sure what you are trying to accomplish. I will never buy a timeshare. It's not a good use of my money.
I think posters might be a tad offended by what might be perceived as a dismissive attitude toward DVC. Maybe that’s not what you intended.

I think posters might be a tad offended by what might be perceived as a dismissive attitude toward DVC. Maybe that’s not what you intended.

I can't be responsible for how others take my comments. If people feel secure in the financial decision they have made with DVC, why should what anyone says matter at all?

I can't be responsible for how others take my comments. If people feel secure in the financial decision they have made with DVC, why should what anyone says matter at all?
Of course you own some responsibility. I think most people on these boards are both good natured snd respectful.

Even if they disagree.

I think you need to go back and read what I actually posted.

You mean this:

“ I've done the math. It's never worked out to be any savings at all, just a massive expenditure and loss of opportunity costs on the upfront purchase.”

“ The dues kill it for me, math wise. Too many people "don't count" the dues, which is ridiculous. You have to count everything.”

Have you been to FL in January? Weather is a crap shoot....one day 70 next day 38....after about 5 January trips we finally said never again...was it warmer than home (MD) yes. But not by much...
We’ve been multiple times in January and it’s always been great. On of my favourite times to visit.

You mean this:

“ I've done the math. It's never worked out to be any savings at all, just a massive expenditure and loss of opportunity costs on the upfront purchase.”

“ The dues kill it for me, math wise. Too many people "don't count" the dues, which is ridiculous. You have to count everything.”
We just booked our second DVC stay - headed to WDW in September. With this second trip, we’ve offset 30% of our (resale) contract costs, cash discounts and dues included. I’m hoping over the next 38 years we’ll be able to get the remaining 70%…. Somehow I think it’s gonna work.

Outside of DVC I’d agree - timeshares never made sense for us. DVC is very different. To each his/her own of course, but the math is definitely different with DVC.

Staring at the light dusting of snow outside my window, I wish I could dip my toes in a cold lazy river right now!

We just booked our second DVC stay - headed to WDW in September. With this second trip, we’ve offset 30% of our (resale) contract costs, cash discounts and dues included. I’m hoping over the next 38 years we’ll be able to get the remaining 70%…. Somehow I think it’s gonna work.

Outside of DVC I’d agree - timeshares never made sense for us. DVC is very different. To each his/her own of course, but the math is definitely different with DVC.

Staring at the light dusting of snow outside my window, I wish I could dip my toes in a cold lazy river right now!

I play the Aulani soundtrack in Apple Music when my stress level gets too high. Can’t wait to go back in August!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter