• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Between the BLs (Biggest Loser) Summer Challenge 2010 Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
In last week's episode of Losing It with Jillian, Jillian mentioned that exercise can be fun and family time. How do you get in exercise that meets either or both?

We love to kayak, bike and hike/geocache together! I love doing any or all these activities together, not only are we moving our bodies in a good healthy way, it is FREE!

I have to make a DVD of the whole year for my kindergarteners class, bake cookies for her end of year party tomorrow(which is dangerous for me, chocolate chip is deadly..but I will be ok), have a play day, go to a end of the year picnic for her tonight, and shop/pack for camping in VT this weekend for the balloon festival. I don't know how I will do all this..but I will.

Happy Thursday all..stay on track!

QUOTD (finally one I have time to answer)

My 14 year old and I walk one of the dogs every morning together. She usually will talk more on the walks then at other times. We also walk as a family on weekends.

Ann's right, killer quads, Connie! :thumbsup2

Well, it's 4:24. I had some sort of Disney dream, can't remember it. Tried to go back to sleep, couldn't. So here I am! :surfweb: I guess I need some extra time in this day.....soooo much to do!

6am update. I'm giggling now. Forgot to mention that when I got up, I almost stepped on DD1 (10). She bunkered down beside my bed at some point during the night. When DH got up at 4:45, DD2 came pitter pattering, and I finally got her back to bed. DH came downstairs smiling. HE NEVER DOES this, so not a morning person! Our chihuahua, that's usually really chill in the mornings, is even acting like he had one tequila shot too many! Yep, it's almost WDW time!

30-45 more minutes should see my class work done, provided the pixie dust stops flying! I've got some stuff printing now, so I had to check in! Once that's done, my mind can totally focus on getting ready. I'm also one of those obsessive people that HAS to have a clean house when I leave. I can't stand to come home sad from a trip to a messy house. I'll be popping in and out all day, just to help me focus!

Taryn

I had a restless night last night too. I woke up at 2:30 and didn't fall back to sleep until the birds were chirping and the sun was coming up.

I dislike coming home to a messy house too. Even if we are just going to the grocery store, I feel like I need to have the whole house clean before we go. I think it is because my living room is the first room I see when I walk through the front door. It's hard to keep up with though because my 3 and 5 year olds are MESSY!

Hope that all of you with headaches, colds and sick kiddos get to feeling better soon! :flower3:

A big thank you to cclovesdis for being our coach this week and a big welcome to maiziezoe our new coach tomorrow. We couldn't do a challenge without you! :love:

Thanks Lisa (when I type your name I say "Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeesaaaaaaaaaaaa" to myself because that's what I call my favorite neighbor. lol)

I am excited to be the coach next week. I have some fun questions... and every day I am going to ask "what's for dinner?" I am hoping it will help others in the group think of new things to eat when the dreaded meal time is approaching.

Good morning everyone!

The kids and I were going to hop the train and head to Chicago to have lunch with DS-22 to celebrate his birthday but he took pity on me (I am NOT a city girl and we were just there last Friday for the Blackhawks parade) so he is coming out here and we are going to lunch, picking up Stanley and I am making him his favorite dinner, Chicken taco's. He is going to spend the night here too. I am so excited. My DD-3 ADORES her biggest (and best, she says) brother and her excitement is contagious. I love how much my bookends (oldest kid and youngest kid) love each other. :love: I have some friends that thought I was crazy having kids so far apart in age (19 years) but they are so very close. I love watching them interact. It warms my black old heart. :rotfl:

In last week's episode of Losing It with Jillian, Jillian mentioned that exercise can be fun and family time. How do you get in exercise that meets either or both?

I am another one who doesn't exercise with my family. It's really the ONLY time I have away from my kids. My DD-13 keeps asking me if she can run with me, and I would love for her to come along, but the selfish side of me wants to be alone with my thoughts.

However, when the weather is nice, the little kids and I will walk to the park, which is a mile round trip. But I don't really consider that exercise because we walk R-E-A-L-L-Y slow.

I'm off like a dirty shirt! :)

Welcome to our Challenge of the Week (COW)!

Please know that you do not have to participate but the COW is here to help you build good habits and have fun as you focus on your health and fitness for the challenge.

It is summertime and that means it might be time to mix it up a bit with our Challenge of the Week (COW)! Here is how our new COW will work.

PART ONE:
The first part of the COW will be based off the wonderful work of Donac who taught me that if I do something for 30 days, it will become a habit. Each week I will post two to four habit suggestions for you and at the end of the week, you report your points to me.

NEW and EXCITING: If you report your points, you will be eligible for wonderful prizes! I will randomly select one person each week to win a fabulous prize (maybe not fabulous but it will at least be a bit fun)!

PART TWO: The second part of the COW will be a fun task for you to complete during the week and then post about your experience here on our thread. Again, there will be FUN and FABULOUS prizes (for one randomly selected poster each week).

COW 4

PART ONE
Eat 2 vegetables each day (1 point for each day)
Exercise 20 minutes each day (1 point for each day)
Journal your food each day (1 point for each day)
Spend 10 minutes on yourself (1 point for each day)

When you send me your points please post your total in your RE and then in the main part of the pm list your points as follows:

XX eating 2 veggies
XX days of exercising for 20 minutes
XX days of journaling food
XX days of doing something for yourself

This challenge runs from Friday, June 18, 2010 to Thursday June 24, 2010. On Friday June 25, 2010 PM me your points for the week. The COW results will be posted the same day the weekly totals are posted.

PART TWO
It seems there are a few of us here who like to paint our nails different colors. I know that I do it because it makes me feel just a bit more fun!

Part 2 of the COW this week is on one day when you do something special for yourself, try to paint your nails a “summery” color. Be sure to post about the color you used and describe it to us all!

Great Job with week 3 of the COW! :thumbsup2

Thanks for sending your information...I hope you are enjoying the COW and enjoying a healthier you!

Keep up the great work!
Jen

Morning Everyone! I posted the COW early because we are off on our way to our cabin. I am not sure if I will have access to the internet until Monday afternoon.

Please still send your COW information to me via PM tomorrow (my box is cleared out so there is plenty of room for everyone!)

Taryn - HAVE A WONDERFUL TRIP! I won't chat with you until you are back but I hope you have a magical vacation!!!

pjilla - HAVE A HAPPY BIRTHDAY! In case you missed it...you are one of the winners of the COW for last week!!! If you PM me your address, I will mail you fantastic prize!

COW Winners - All other prizes are on their way! Be on the lookout for an envelope from Minnesota!

That's all because I have to go! Have a wonderful and healthy weekend!
Jen

H
Shelby, your Lord Stanley is adorable, too. I love dogs with gray muzzles -- it makes them distinguished and shows they have humans who care for them even as they age. :goodvibes

:hug: Awww, thank you! He's 13 now and I know our time with him is limited. :sad1: He brings us so much joy!!!!

So..........................as for my diet and all this week. I've been doing pretty well but still not seeing any results. I think I need to kick it up a notch, I have had NO time to exercise at all. But I see a light at the end of the tunnel and will get some in tonight (if time allows between dropping my DS at baseball then my DD at softball only to go back and get him to go back to her game. Then when I get home I need to make cupcakes to take into my DD's class tomorrow to celebrate her summer birthday). So, I don't know if after all of that I will get a chance but if not, by Sunday my schedule will be more open!! :)

I'm thinking that maybe after I tuck my DD in that my DS and I will go for a walk. It'll be cooler then and a nice way to end our day! :love:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PJILLA!!!!!!!!!! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Great picture!!! You look like a runner!

Ann's right, killer quads, Connie! :thumbsup2

Connie, you look great! Like an experienced runner and not even looking like it was the end of the race! :thumbsup2

Yall are so sweet. I'll tell you, though, I FELT like a real runner that day. After thunderstorming all night, the sun came out bright and gorgeous, but still cool out. It was a FANTASTIC day for a race. I set my current 5K PR that day at 27:55 and didn't even come close to placing - EVERYBODY had a great race that day.

My 3 year old tries to do things with my 5lb weights! :scared1: She can lift them over her head at the same time, but I am scared to death she'll drop them or hurt herself. I discourage this as much as possible, I see a torn rotator cuff in that precious little clutz's future!

Well, thankfully, DD goes for the little ones. She's grabbed up the bigger ones before, but she likes the little ones better. Clutz?? :rotfl: I'm surprised *I* haven't broken parts of me yet. And, DD's little shins are constantly covered with little bruises. I don't know what she bumps into all the time, but it must be a daily occurrence to keep bruises like that! :laughing:

PART ONE
Eat 2 vegetables each day (1 point for each day)
Exercise 20 minutes each day (1 point for each day)
Journal your food each day (1 point for each day)
Spend 10 minutes on yourself (1 point for each day)

Well, if we count our DIS time, I think we'll all get our points for "me time" this week!

PART TWO
Part 2 of the COW this week is on one day when you do something special for yourself, try to paint your nails a “summery” color. Be sure to post about the color you used and describe it to us all!

I know there are very quiet lurker guys out there participating in our challenge. I think we'd all like to hear from you guys this week! :lmao:

I really haven't painted my fingernails in... well, just over 3 years. My two sisters and I got manicures on Mother's Day 2007, two days before DD was born. I generally like my fingernails clean, but I do try to keep my toes polished during sandal season. When it comes to colors, I'm a traditional red, pink, beigy non-color or French kinda girl, but DD has been asking for green, so maybe I'll give it a try. Maybe...

And... :bday: pjlla!! Have a great one!

QOTD- I usually walk with my family. Most often my sister but also my Mom, dogs, and even my niece in her stroller all come along sometimes! But I can go faster if it just my sister and I!

Fell asleep too early last night and didn't have my healthy evening snack so I only consumed 970 calories! I woke up feeling empty and lethargic this morning....but once I drank my slim fast I felt better almost immediately! I walked 2 miles yesterday so I definitely needed more than what I ate!

Well, thankfully, DD goes for the little ones. She's grabbed up the bigger ones before, but she likes the little ones better. Clutz?? :rotfl: I'm surprised *I* haven't broken parts of me yet. And, DD's little shins are constantly covered with little bruises. I don't know what she bumps into all the time, but it must be a daily occurrence to keep bruises like that! :laughing:

When I re read, I could see how that could be taken wrongly. MY DD IS A CLUTZ!!!! Not referring to yours! We call her Kramer, b/c she always makes an entrance by crashing into something! 2 ER visits, very scary ones, due to accidents for her, in 3 years!

Well, I have to leave for gymnastics in 2 hours, and virtually NOTHING has been accomplished. Did get the memory card cleared off, after spending a full hour trying to find CD's to transfer it to!!!! I gave DD a full list, by the half hour, of what she needed to accomplish. I think she's more on track than I am! Got some laundry done... Ugh. Time to "dig a little deeper", b/c I am "almost there"! (Can you tell we are watching Princess and the Frog?) :lmao:

I was just sitting here at work a little while ago (after I posted above) thinking how I wish I had time to exercise. So, we have a VERY long hall here at work. I'm here pretty much alone all the time. So, I measured it and calculated to see how many times back and forth would equal a mile. I just got done so at least I have 1 mile under my belt for the day!!! This is something I can do each day that I'm here!! :cheer2:

When I re read, I could see how that could be taken wrongly. MY DD IS A CLUTZ!!!! Not referring to yours! We call her Kramer, b/c she always makes an entrance by crashing into something! 2 ER visits, very scary ones, due to accidents for her, in 3 years!

Oh, I knew what you meant. It was just saying she hasn't quite cornered the market on clutz-y-ness. :rotfl: Although, I can say that my DD hasn't ended up in the ER so far, so maybe we're doing better than I thought. ;)

I was just sitting here at work a little while ago (after I posted above) thinking how I wish I had time to exercise. So, we have a VERY long hall here at work. I'm here pretty much alone all the time. So, I measured it and calculated to see how many times back and forth would equal a mile. I just got done so at least I have 1 mile under my belt for the day!!! This is something I can do each day that I'm here!! :cheer2:

Way to go, girl! I like knocking out a little exercise at the office too. Sometimes I walk the parking lot during a break and I try to always take the stairs. You definitely gotta take it where you can get it!! :thumbsup2

For those of you who eat cold cereal for breakfast (or for anyone, of course), have you ever tried almond milk? Honestly, on cereal, I'm not sure I can tell the difference from cow's milk. One cup of the Blue Diamond Almond Breeze, unsweetened vanilla is 40 calories/1 point (I believe the sweetened vanilla is 60 calories) versus 110 calories for a cup of 1% milk. Big calorie savings there. You might want to give it a try.
I tried the almond milk last summer. It was too thin/watery for my liking to have on my cereal, but it tasted pretty good on its own. I can’t do skim milk, but if you’re used to that consistency the almond milk may work for you in cereal. I haven’t bought any more than the one or two cartons last summer since I wasn’t in love with it. I’m not sure about the calcium, most brands are probably fortified, but I guess you’d really have to read the packages to know for sure.

Kathy – Congrats on your race! That is so awesome!

Shelby – Your Stanley is also a cutie! And I love the new profile pic, you look great!

Thursday’s QOTD - In last week's episode of Losing It with Jillian, Jillian mentioned that exercise can be fun and family time. How do you get in exercise that meets either or both?
DS and I like to play Wii and “play” tennis – “play” because we’re both pretty horrible at it, but at least we sweat and have fun. We rarely have time for either during school because of all the activities and homework, but I am going to try to make that kind of healthy fun a priority for the summer.

Connie – Great race picture! You make running look so effortless there.

I wish I could shop at a Goodwill/Salvation Army:sad2:. Then I’d be able to actually buy myself clothes on a regular basis instead of having to wear too big stuff until I save up enough money for the smaller sizes. Maybe I’ll start small by actually going inside one (as opposed to just dropping stuff off outside) and see how I can progress from there. :confused3

DSIL usually has a relative who has a cleaning service come in and clean while she is gone... she leaves a messy house, goes on vacation, and comes home to a clean house.... IDEAL!!! I gotta see if I can swing a situation like that this year!!

Insomnia can definitely cause STRESS...which of course, can easily turn into stress eating!

I can sympathize a bit. I sleep well, but when I am tired that is when I am MOST VULNERABLE to making bad choices about food and exercise. I have discovered this over the last two years and it was a bit of an eye-opener. I can resist almost anything of temptation.... EXCEPT when I am tired!

Get the sleeping situation under control. That will make you feel better. THEN you can work on getting the food and exercise under control. One step at a time! Before you know it, your life will feel more in control, you will have more motivation and ambition, and maybe you will even be sleeping better! Good job getting off the meds!
I used to have a cleaning service, but haven’t been able to afford it since we moved into the townhouse (we were in a condo). I will be paying off my car early next year and have already planned to use that “extra” money to hire a new service. I cannot wait! Having a clean house makes me happy and not having to clean it myself makes me ecstatic:woohoo:!

I completely agree about being especially vulnerable to making bad choices when I’m tired. When I don’t get the rest I need, I’m grumpy, hungry, and have no motivation to do anything. Getting good rest is my number one health priority because if I can’t do that I know it’s infinitely harder to keep up with my eating and exercise. Good luck to you, MushyMushy, sending you good sleep wishes!

pjilla - Happy Birthday! :cheer2:

Gotta get some work done, I'll try to check back later.

Happy Thursday everyone!

Bree

Oh, I forgot to mention how the picnic went last night...

There was no salad :sad1:. Her CSA pickup is on Wednesday and she didn't have enough time to get everything washed and prepped before the picnic so she ended up just bringing tomatoes (which were pretty good) and onions (white, store bought, meh). I was getting pretty antsy until I saw that the hostess was grilling and she didn't burn any of the hotdogs (or hamburgers either, but I couldn't have eaten a hamburger since they were "homemade":rolleyes:). So, I had a hotdog with onions, a little ketchup and mustard, and some tomato slices. I also had a smallish piece of cake since I was still hungry. I don't have the calorie count on the cake, but I'm pretty sure I still ended up within range. I was really looking forward to that salad though... oh well.

I'll definitely have to get to the farmers market this weekend and get some good lettuces. I've been disappointed in the ones I've been getting the past few weeks from the store, even Whole Foods' have been wilty for some reason.

Anyways... back to work!

Bree

We love to kayak, bike and hike/geocache together! I love doing any or all these activities together, not only are we moving our bodies in a good healthy way, it is FREE!

I have to make a DVD of the whole year for my kindergarteners class, bake cookies for her end of year party tomorrow(which is dangerous for me, chocolate chip is deadly..but I will be ok), have a play day, go to a end of the year picnic for her tonight, and shop/pack for camping in VT this weekend for the balloon festival. I don't know how I will do all this..but I will.

Happy Thursday all..stay on track!

Hey there friend! Glad to see you on here again! Have 1 cookie but eat it slowly! I need to make some too! Maybe I'll do that while Izzie watches Toy Story!

Have a fun weekend! Hope to see you soon!

Happy Birthday pjlla!!!!

Hanging out with DD2 watching TS. She's happily a preschool graduate! She looked so cute with the cap on! She's wearing her Preschool Graduate shirt I made her thanks to the Disigns board.

Been good so far today. I ate fruit at the graduation. I did just have my handful of M&Ms. Fighting another headache. I think it's the weather. It's thinking about raining but nothing so far. DD1 will be home in a bit and we're going to run over to DD to get her a Coollatta and I need to pick up a gift card for DD2s dance teacher. We already bought the gift for the other dance teacher.

I ground up carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, and green beans to put in our meatloaf tonight. I'll also make some low fat crescent rolls to go with it!

Hoping to get in another walk tonight but that depends on the weather. I'm going to have some Crystal Light lemonade now and just relax a bit. I'm kind of tired and we will be up late tonight watching the Celtics game tonight so maybe I should try and catch some zzzz's for a bit.:headache:

Great thinking to use your work environment to get some exercise in! I work from home, so when I let the dog out to go potty and play for a bit, I use that time to make laps around the fence line. I did the same thing..measured and figured out how many laps I need to make a mile! Happy walking!

QOTD - DS and I take the dog to the dog park at least 3x a week, it is nice to let puppy play, and it gives DS and I time to talk. We also have a membership at our local nature center, and there are several 1-2 mile trails that we like to walk on the weekends. DS occassionally does Wii Fit and EA Active with me, but now that it is summer, he would rather be out playing with his friends, so his willingness to work out with me has greatly diminished.
DH will go on a walk with me around the neighborhood every once in a while. Other than that, I am on my own, which is not necessarily a bad thing!

Happy Thursday and :bday: pjlla!!!!

Dahly

Hey there friend! Glad to see you on here again! Have 1 cookie but eat it slowly! I need to make some too! Maybe I'll do that while Izzie watches Toy Story!

Have a fun weekend! Hope to see you soon!

It is good to be back. Yes, that is a good idea..I will have one, and really enjoy it! Did you get your wedding shower tape? I gave it to your hubby last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter