"Better" days of the week to visit?

kas808

Earning My Ears
My family and I will be visiting CA from September 2-12. We have 5 day park hoppers and I am struggling to figure out which days should be our park days. Prior to the Halloween time announcement, I had planned on the 4th (Tues), 5th (Weds), 6th (Thurs), 10th (Mon), and 11th (Tues). Now I am thinking of switching things around to include the 7th (Fri) so we can catch Fantasmic and fireworks. I saw a thread recently about how terrible Mondays have become but I'm not sure if this would improve in September..?

I guess my question is, are there any days of the week you would avoid -OR- any that you would recommend over others? The 2nd, 3rd, and 12th are the only days we cannot choose as park days. Of the remaining 3 days, 1 will be for Universal Studios and 2 will be left open to explore, shop, etc. I understand the parks are busier in general these days and it's impossible to predict how each day might pan out, but since we can be flexible with our itinerary I figured it's worth trying to be somewhat strategic.

Have you checked Touring Plans? They have a crowd calendar that could help. I think since you are going for so many days try not to worry about it. You will have plenty of time to do what you want. You could also consider MP for any days where it does seem crowded. I don’t think it’s ever going to be low crowds anymore but you are not going during the high season when it’s going to be packed. We are going around the same time and the only thing you might not be aware of is that the Halloween decorations and overlays go up 9/7 which can attract crowds. It could also mean some things are closed during your first visit period, like HM and maybe SM, for the overlays. I love seeing the decorations so it’s a great time to visit.

I personally always check the AP blockout calendar to see when the lower passes are blocked. Saturdays have been fantastic this summer with Deluxe and lower blocked, and Sunday has been decent as well. Hard to say what it’ll look like once school starts up, but the 8th is definitely blocked for all the SoCal/SoCal select APs.

The 7th might be somewhat crazy since it’s the first day of Halloween... It’s definitely hard to predict, but with 5 day PHs you’ll be good (especially if you use MP at least a couple days)! Have fun! I’m personally super excited for Halloween time at DLR!

ETA: We NEVER do Mondays!

Definitely check the hours the park is open. I went last year when park hours were 10am - 9pm and it was busy busy busy! It felt like peak time. It was busy from the moment we entered the park until close. We barely made it on all the fastpass rides and that was with Buzz down and the purchase of Maxpass and there was just 3 adults. We didn't even get on any rides in Fantasyland.

Looks like a few of your days you'll have similar hours. Be sure to pick days when you have longer days to get stuff done. I would definitely add a day or 2 with later hours - even if it's a weekend.

You've got a 5 day pass so you'll get on everything but don't expect it to be quiet during the week.

Saturday is the best day of the week to go to Disneyland. Long operating hours, all the shows and all but the two highest annual passes are blocked out. Historically Sunday has been an awful day to go due to most of the annual passes can attend and it's a weekend so many locals are off work and the kids are out of school.

But now people are saying Mondays are worse than Sundays. Just know almost every day is crowded. If you go and it's not then considered yourself blessed.

Just curious. Why are Mondays the worst? You'd figure people are goin to work,kids are in school. Is it a late in the day thing or what?

Just curious. Why are Mondays the worst? You'd figure people are goin to work,kids are in school. Is it a late in the day thing or what?
All day. Theories include: people starting their trip on a Monday; last day of a weekend trip on a Monday; service workers having Monday off because some restaurants are closed Monday. In reality your guess is as good as mine.

Between Friday and Saturday, I would probably choose Saturday. Saturday's are expensive "peak" days for the park on top of being blacked out for almost everyone except premium and deluxe passholders. Also a lot of local AP's like to go in just for Friday afternoon, so if your motivation is the shows and fireworks, you might end up with a bigger crowd than you expect.

Between Friday and Saturday, I would probably choose Saturday. Saturday's are expensive "peak" days for the park on top of being blacked out for almost everyone except premium and deluxe passholders. Also a lot of local AP's like to go in just for Friday afternoon, so if your motivation is the shows and fireworks, you might end up with a bigger crowd than you expect.
Agree

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter