Best week to go for Christmas festivities ?

maryj11

DIS Veteran
Well we went the week after Thanksgiving this year thinking crowd might drop off. They didn’t. Next year we want to go again when all the Christmas festivities are going on. We can only go after December 10. Are decorations taken down right after New Years? I know we don’t want to go Christmas week into New Year’s Day. I guess that only leaves us 2 weeks before Christmas 🤷‍♀️. I wish we could go before Thanksgiving, but we can’t.

Well we went the week after Thanksgiving this year thinking crowd might drop off. They didn’t. Next year we want to go again when all the Christmas festivities are going on.
1. We can only go after December 10.
2. Are decorations taken down right after New Years? I know we don’t want to go Christmas week into New Year’s Day. I guess that only leaves us 2 weeks before Christmas 🤷‍♀️.
3. I wish we could go before Thanksgiving, but we can’t.
1. Then, go on or following that date.
2. Not all of them, but many will start coming down starting Jan. 3, 2023.
Regardless, there will be no significant Christmas "events" after Dec. 30, 2022.
3. There are many significant Christmas "events" that usually do not begin until Thanksgiving.
Only "for sure" Christmas decorations will be at MK starting within a day (or a few days) after Halloween.

Last edited:
Your date is the ideal time to go. Minimal crowd levels, but with all the holiday festivities. Chances are before Thanksgiving you may miss out on some of the decorations, specialty foods and activities. Enjoy!!

December 10 to the 22 should be fine. You don't want to be there during school break.

Your date is the ideal time to go. Minimal crowd levels, but with all the holiday festivities. Chances are before Thanksgiving you may miss out on some of the decorations, specialty foods and activities. Enjoy!!
That’s what I thought this year, but it was pretty crowded. I’m guessing because so many cancelled last year because of covid along with the 50th anniversary. It made it packed. We still had fun, but wow it was hard to walk at times.

That’s what I thought this year, but it was pretty crowded. I’m guessing because so many cancelled last year because of covid along with the 50th anniversary. It made it packed. We still had fun, but wow it was hard to walk at times.
Yeah, we went December 6th through the 12th and it was very crowded with long lines and people everywhere. We've seen December crowds picking up every year for the past 5 years or so. The low crowds thinking of December at this point is just old information that doesn't ring true anymore.
It was probably made worse this year with "revenge travel" of people re-scheduling their trips from last year, International travel opening back up, crowd eating shows and meets that are still not back, and the introduction of the Lighting Lanes driving up the standby line wait times.
Granted, this still beats the week before and week of Christmas.
Generally speaking we have been finding that more and more people have been piggy-backing off of Thanksgiving weekend and going the week after. If you have your heart set on the Christmas season and all of the festivities, then I would do 2nd week after Thanksgiving.

Yeah, we went December 6th through the 12th and it was very crowded with long lines and people everywhere. We've seen December crowds picking up every year for the past 5 years or so. The low crowds thinking of December at this point is just old information that doesn't ring true anymore.
It was probably made worse this year with "revenge travel" of people re-scheduling their trips from last year, International travel opening back up, crowd eating shows and meets that are still not back, and the introduction of the Lighting Lanes driving up the standby line wait times.
Granted, this still beats the week before and week of Christmas.
Generally speaking we have been finding that more and more people have been piggy-backing off of Thanksgiving weekend and going the week after. If you have your heart set on the Christmas season and all of the festivities, then I would do 2nd week after Thanksgiving.
Thanks! That’s what I was thinking the second week after thanksgiving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter