Best way to pay in other Countries

PrincessNelly

DIS Veteran
Sorry if this is silly. But we are booking our first ever Disney Cruise on the Fantasy. This will also be our first time traveling internationally.

We'll be stopping in Jamaica, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman. We would like to explore and find some good local food spots but what's the best way to pay while on shore?
Should we carry cash or can we use our credit cards?

Most restaurants and shops will accept credit cards, which are much safer than carrying cash. Most tourism-related businesses will also accept USD. You could bring some from the US and then carry a smaller portion with you while in port.

Use your credit card where possible. You might have to pay a bit of an exchange premium, but it will save you a lot of angst if things go awry.

That is not a silly question. I agree that using credit cards is the best method (assuming, of course, that you will pay off the balance on the next statement — paying interest will negate any benefits). If asked whether you want the charge in dollars or local currency, choose local currency, because credit card companies typically have better exchange rates than restaurants do.

If you have multiple credit cards, check which, if any, have no foreign transaction fees. (My husband and I each carry different no-fee cards when traveling, just in case one gets lost or stolen.) Then call customer service for the card(s) you intend to use to let them know you will be traveling out of the country. Otherwise, your charges could look suspicious and get rejected.

We just did that itinerary and here is what we found. All the shops took cards.

Where we used cash was for the bus in Grand Cayman. We took it to 7 mile beach, they are more like shared vans and the driver was super friendly and helpful and we met some fun fellow passengers. Cost was 2.50 USD per person each way. They do accept local currency too but US was easier and readily accepted.

There is quite a large and nice port area in Falmouth Jamaica. The main spots all took cards. There was an artisan market where some of the stalls needed cash. Also there is a local food stand that sells patties a Jamaican fast food that I highly recommend trying! We paid cash there but I’m not sure if that was the only option or I just assumed since it was a little stand and not very expensive.

We also needed cash for tips for porters etc during our travel so helpful to have some. Others have already called out be aware of foreign fees on your credit cards. We have one without fees that we used for all our purchases and no problems. We bought souvenirs in all the ports and after our excursion was cancelled in Jamaica ended up doing a lot more shopping than we intended but it was fun.

Happy to answer other questions we loved that itinerary on the Fantasy!

At those ports, I have found that shops, especially close to the port, generally take credit cards or accept USD. The tour operators also accept USD for tips.

Whenever you're charging always charge in local currency. You're CC company will always have a better (if not the best) exchange rate.
Get a travel CC (Chase Sapphire cards are the best, IMO). Travel oriented cards will typically not charge a foreign transaction fee.
For the same reason as charging, never exchange/convert cash at a currency exchange booth, etc. Use an ATM. And take out the money in the local currency. Your bank will always give you a better exchange rate. I typically will do this when arriving at my destination airport. Be aware of the ATM fees, though. Some banks will refund those, some will not.
I typically will end up with a few extra Euros/Pesos/whatever. If I think I'm ever going back I will hang on to them. If not, that's the only time you would ever want to go to an exchange booth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter