• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Way To Book A Cruise?

I use a Travel Agent. Never understood the concern about "losing control" of my trip. All I lose is work that the TA does for free.
I agree. I booked my first Disney cruise on my own. This time I booked with Dreams Unlimited for my December cruise and it has been an excellent experience. At the time of booking he had me go online and let me know what rooms were available and where it was located. He was also able to give me his insights. My TA has always been available and has handled everything for me. He even handled the letter to concierge sent out at midnight when my window opened and got every request I wanted including a cabana. On top of that I received an OBC. I don't feel for a minute about losing control. I can still access my account and book or make changes.

Do all TAs provide onboard credit, of just Dreams Unlimited? Can you give me a range or the onboard credit you received? Like, a certain percentage of your total cost? Trying to decide if I want to use them vs the one I currently have lined up.

Do all TAs provide onboard credit, of just Dreams Unlimited? Can you give me a range or the onboard credit you received? Like, a certain percentage of your total cost? Trying to decide if I want to use them vs the one I currently have lined up.
Travel Agents work on commission. A percentage of the commission is used to determine onboard credit.

Not all TAs provide onboard credit. They should list it on their website. Dreams Unlimited has a chart for the amount of credit received based on the cost of the cruise. Transferred cruises and on board bookings/placeholders receive half the OBC since the TA receives less commission for those bookings.
https://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/disney-cruise-line/discounts-specials.htm#sbc

I compared prices between DCL site, Costco, and DU. Costco gave me the lowest price of all. And the biggest booking bonus.
We also went through Costco. After comparing cash back (executive member + credit card) and cash card, we got 220% more compared to agencies like DU offering on board credit (+ credit card cash back). I get less personal service but it's well worth the extra money back.

We go with Costco for the biggest discount. You shouldn't expect a full service experience though. If you need handholding don't use Costco.

For our first cruise, I used a TA that was recommended to us. She was fantastic and held our hand all the way through but no OBC. After a couple of cruises, I decided we didn’t need a full service TA and transferred to Costco for booking. Never again. Opening day was such a mess. I called and waited on hold forever only to be told they would have to call me back later. We got it booked eventually, but I don’t have time to sit on the phone or around the phone all day.

I put out feelers on this board for a responsive TA that gave a good OBC and received a great recommendation. We have used her for the last two cruises and she had been fantastic. No, it’s not as much as Costco, but she handles the booking. She got me opening day prices and I told her what I wanted and I was done. Thank goodness we were using her during the COVID reschedule mess.

I’ve never had any issue about not having “control” of my reservation, have someone to handle the opening day booking fiasco, and get decent OBC for using it. No brainer in my book.

We own DVC and made reservations thru DVC to DCL. Multiple problems occurred because of the shutdown. The reservations (B2B) were made in March 2019 for the B2B in Sept 2020. The first cruise was to be with family (3-night) and the second cruise was just the two of us (5-night). The family wanted their money back (3-night), and we wanted the 125% FCC (5-night). Dealing with DVC/DCL was a nightmare in July 2020. Maybe going thru DVC RS will be easier on you and a nightmare for them.
DCL treats DVC cruisers like barnacles on the bottom of the ship: have to drag them along with the ride. That's another story we endured with the Fantasy and Hurricane Sandy (2012).
Twice burned, never using points again; besides, it's an extreme waste of money to point value (look at a DVC Fan vlog and Pete W.'s rant on this subject).
It is not a waste of points if you book through DVC Rental Store. They give you the $18/point credit that they would normally give you as cash if you were not swapping (unless you are booking 7 months or less or using points from a non-elite resort, then it is $16/point). If I have problems, though, I won't do it again.

Used to use Costco bc of the great gift card deal, but if you ever have any changes, want to make a request, have any issue, you call Costco travel and wait on hold for them to answer and then they call Disney and you wait on hold for Disney to answer and it's a huge PITA (once we needed to make a change and were coming up on the deadline, and it took several times of me waiting on hold all day to get it done). Now I will only use Dreams. Got an issue? Want to make a request? Send one email and it's DONE!

Costco has an online form for simple changes (name changes, cabin changes, dining requests, transfers etc). Also, the if you ask the Costco agent to call you back when they get DCL on the line they will. We always book cruises with Costco, and no one else gives you 10+% back (Costco card plus executive member). We have also booked Princess and RCCL cruises through Costco, and with those cruise lines there was never an issue with hours long wait times for the Costco agent to reach the cruise line. Costco also gives you the full amount if you transfer the reservation into their agency...this was very helpful with the recent Disney+ promo, as it was just easier to book the cruise on the Disney site and then transfer to Costco. Another huge benefit at Costco, is that any of the agents will help you, which isn't how things work at most of these other travel agencies. In the 12 cruises or so booked through Costco, I have never had an issue with them that was not the fault of an external party (ie. wait times to call Disney Cruise Line).

Im sure the recommended agency on here is great, but if you know exactly what you want (sailing, cabin etc) then it is better to get as much back on the agent commission as you can.

Last edited:
I am using a different agency and they give onboard credit as well. I made my own reservation because I wanted a specific room. I transferred it to my TA and I'll get an OC, but not as much as I would have if they booked it for me.

A Costco closer to me will open soon, so their rewards back may benefit me more than DU OBC. However, when I use the Costco Travel site to book a cruise, so many less rooms are available to pick from then the DCL site. Will a Costco agent have access to all rooms as opposed to the average Joe? TIA

A Costco closer to me will open soon, so their rewards back may benefit me more than DU OBC. However, when I use the Costco Travel site to book a cruise, so many less rooms are available to pick from then the DCL site. Will a Costco agent have access to all rooms as opposed to the average Joe? TIA

All agents will have the same availability and pricing that is displayed on the Disney site. Things are constantly changing so sometimes the sites don't get updated instantly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter