Best way to assure a rom request when going through special services?

cinderella73

<font color=magenta>I stand for strollers at wdw a
I was wondering if any of you had any advice on the best way to secure a room request when going through special services . I did have things noted last trip but it didnt seem to matter.

Last trip we stayed at the Contemporary and nothing we requested happened. And I dont mean location , I understand if they cant get you a certain one . But we asked for a NON hanicapped room . We were traveling with a service dog but did not physical mobility issues and we really needed a bathtub for my son. We also asked due to immune issues that the curtains be washed and comforters removed ( immune issues) .

Well they never had our room ready when we checked in and It was Sept and a slow time of year so I dont think it was that. When we finally got our rooms we saw they were handicapped with no tub and while the comforters were removed and the sheets nice and clean the curtains had food and stains on them. There was even food on the wall . It didnt like anything had been done other than the comforters taken off.

We had tickets for the MNSSHP so we didnt have time to wait yet again fot another room. We didnt make it to the party till 830 because we didnt get our room intil 630 and had to get everyones costumes and all of that situated. It was a bit of a mess trying to rush around.

Anyway what I am getting at is it seems no one even read anything we requested. Does anyone haqve any good tips on how to avoid something like this again? is there a better time to check in that might help . ( By the way at the Contemp. we did check in at 1 pm , but it didnt help) .

Should I just go over it again with special services before I a arrive , fax anything , or just show up at the resort super early so they have plenty of time to meet any request ?

EDIT: I meant to add that they mentioned to me that they have already assigned you a room , one you book with special services. So how does that work if you are making a request ? That confused me , especially since we got a room opposite of what we needed. Thanks

Because of allergies and such Disney offers a special cleaning of the room, but it has to be on your reservation. They use no chemicals for the cleaning which helps, too. This will not help probably on the curtain issue, but ask if it includes the curtains in the special cleaning. If it does problem solved there. No matter what you will get the best cleaning that Disney offers with the special cleaning.

I wouldn't mention handicap in any which way when you talk to special needs. Be very specific stating you want a regular bathtub. You have special requests, but you don't have special needs like needing a roll in shower.

After all is said and done see if you can get a Disney e-mail sent to you with your special requests. If anything is wrong then you can get it corrected.

Also, I wouldn't plan anything special to do on your first night. Why? You may have to be a hold out and insist on another room or an instant cleaning if it's possible. Have your reservation with you with your special requests listed. That should give you some leverage.

Usually, I go into the room first alone. If it's not up to my standards then I will request another room. I do believe the earlier the better for arrival. If you have delays for whatever reasons at least you can get it all cleared up that day.

Some will call the resort direct a few days beforehand to make sure the requests will be followed; it's like a reminder to them. Sometimes this is not so easy to be done; Disney doesn't want you going direct. You can do the same with special needs to verify everything one last time. Have a doctor's note of some kind as a back up indicating how crucial these requests are and that may help if you have any troubles once you are there.

After dotting all your i's and crossing all your t's it still could come out wrong. Anything above the ordinary can be iffy.

If you aren't requesting an accessible room, then there's no need to go through Special Services to block the room. I agree with the PP to check back to see if the special allergy cleaning has been noted and would also check directly with the resort a few days before your arrival. I know once I had made a request for something I didn't want and when we arrived, we got what I didn't want. I think they were confused and read the request the wrong way.---Kathy

If you aren't requesting an accessible room, then there's no need to go through Special Services to block the room. I agree with the PP to check back to see if the special allergy cleaning has been noted and would also check directly with the resort a few days before your arrival. I know once I had made a request for something I didn't want and when we arrived, we got what I didn't want. I think they were confused and read the request the wrong way.---Kathy

They made us go through special services because of the service dog. We didnt actually request to. We do ask for the special cleaning though. And good point Kathy. I think thats what happened with us. I think they missed the do not want part and just read it wrong. Makes sense. Thanks

Because of allergies and such Disney offers a special cleaning of the room, but it has to be on your reservation. They use no chemicals for the cleaning which helps, too. This will not help probably on the curtain issue, but ask if it includes the curtains in the special cleaning. If it does problem solved there. No matter what you will get the best cleaning that Disney offers with the special cleaning.

I wouldn't mention handicap in any which way when you talk to special needs. Be very specific stating you want a regular bathtub. You have special requests, but you don't have special needs like needing a roll in shower.

After all is said and done see if you can get a Disney e-mail sent to you with your special requests. If anything is wrong then you can get it corrected.

Also, I wouldn't plan anything special to do on your first night. Why? You may have to be a hold out and insist on another room or an instant cleaning if it's possible. Have your reservation with you with your special requests listed. That should give you some leverage.

Usually, I go into the room first alone. If it's not up to my standards then I will request another room. I do believe the earlier the better for arrival. If you have delays for whatever reasons at least you can get it all cleared up that day.

Some will call the resort direct a few days beforehand to make sure the requests will be followed; it's like a reminder to them. Sometimes this is not so easy to be done; Disney doesn't want you going direct. You can do the same with special needs to verify everything one last time. Have a doctor's note of some kind as a back up indicating how crucial these requests are and that may help if you have any troubles once you are there.

After dotting all your i's and crossing all your t's it still could come out wrong. Anything above the ordinary can be iffy.

We did mention the special cleaning request and were told they mentioned it to special services since they had to get them in regards to the service dog anyway. Good point about not making plans that day. I learned after last trip what a disaster that can be. I think we will just arrive early like you said and then plan a low key evening. I always get the fun of getting everything and everyone set up and am usually exhausted after anyway.

I heard that like you said its hard to get the resort directly. But probaly worth a try. Doctors note is a great idea. I didnt check to see if our room confirmations had the cleaning noted but thats a good idea. I will check.

Thanks for the advice

They made us go through special services because of the service dog. We didnt actually request to. We do ask for the special cleaning though. And good point Kathy. I think thats what happened with us. I think they missed the do not want part and just read it wrong. Makes sense. Thanks
That has happened over and over to people.
If you read the Resorts Board and the DVC board, there have been many posts from people who requested "non- accessible room" or "non-handicapped room," who ended up with what they didn't want the same as you did.
The biggest assumption seeing that request would be that it was a typo and you want an accessible room.
With a Service Dog, you probably get a double whammy to make a typo more believable.

So, the best advice is to ask for what you want, and not mention what you don't want.

We did mention the special cleaning request and were told they mentioned it to special services since they had to get them in regards to the service dog anyway. Good point about not making plans that day. I learned after last trip what a disaster that can be. I think we will just arrive early like you said and then plan a low key evening. I always get the fun of getting everything and everyone set up and am usually exhausted after anyway.

I heard that like you said its hard to get the resort directly. But probaly worth a try. Doctors note is a great idea. I didnt check to see if our room confirmations had the cleaning noted but thats a good idea. I will check.

Thanks for the advice
It is very difficult to call the resort directly - you will almost always get a call center, even when calling the front desk from your room.

I noticed recently ( like the last 2 years) that our confirmation doesn't say anything about our special requests listed (room with roll in shower). I have had good luck just calling Special Reservations and asking them to check that it is noted.

Just to note that we do NOT have to notify the resorts in advance that we are travelling with a service dog. Many people do not as they feel they might be given inferior accommodations. This has never happened to me at Disney but people have had it happen to them at many different non-Disney hotels in particular and are adamant to advise everyone not to notify about the SD. The only reason that I DO mention it is that I want them to clean the room properly after we're gone due to another guest possibly having allergies to pet dander but I'm sure that could be noted upon check-in. If you think that will help, then that's another suggestion.---Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter