Best Waterproof Camera?

schrammalot

Mouseketeer
I know a bit about photography, and I have a bunch of cameras... but I'm not risking my big DSLR camera in Disney.

SO.

What are your favorite waterproof cameras?

My phone with a lifeproof case just isn't going to cut it.

I gave 2 9 year old DD each a Kodak PlaySport when we went to DisneyWorld last. They took them everywhere, including the water parks. In my opinion it is the best bang for the buck. Films underwater, and uploads easily to a laptop when you get back to your room. You can get extra batteries and SD cards if needed to you don't have to upload each night. It takes both video and pictures.

It's a great waterproof camera. I also recommend the the wrist floatation holders. That way when you drop them in the pool, they float to the top. :cool1:

I take my Nikon DSLR and it doesn't get wet... Good case keeps it nice and dry...

Why buy a camera and leave it home...

I don't understand your problem...

The Panasonic underwater camera is awesome! Maybe bring both and use the DSLR when you know you won't be near water? Sounds overboard but I'm always so much more impressed with the quality of my photos when I've got my DSLR and a great lens with no shutter delay.

I've used the Olympus Tough Series cameras for 8 years and love them. We have had no problems with them. The newer TG series even uses SD cards now and you can get a fish eye and a tele lens for it. It also has built in "Magic" effects, which make for some really cool photos!
We also have the kodak playsports, but they have been discontinued..(still available on auction sites though). The HD quality on the TG and on the PlaySport is very good.

Best Wishes!

I love my Olympus tough camera, takes great shots and film in and out of the water. Good battery life and easy to use.

After 4 years our Sony TX10 finally took on some water even though they door was firmly closed, so I did a lot of research and picked up the Olympus TG-2iHS. Here are my initial impressions after a couple weeks use:
- The styling of the Olympus just cannot compare to the sleek looks of the Sony. Olympus just looks like a rugged camera.
- access doors - both had 2; one for cables, one for battery/sd. Olympus' gaskets appear to be a little thicker. The Olympus however has a double lock system on both it's doors to prevent accidental opening underwater.
- the TG-2 is a tougher all around camera by specs (deeper, falls higher, etc). However the TX10 is two generations older.
- the lens on the olympus is in the middle of the camera. Sony's is on the top corner. This takes a bit of thinking at first to make sure your fingers aren't in the shot. And when it becomes second nature, you'll ask someone to take a pic of you and it'll have their finger in it. Hold your cell phone sideways. Look where your fingers are. Not use your index finger, but all the rest too.
- startup speed: wow the olympus is quick to take the first pic on power up. Not quite dslr quick but much better than most p&s.
-underwater pic quality: what most of you are here for. I personally found the Olympus colours to be more vivid. There are 3 underwater scene settings, or you can do automatic mode and let the camera pick. Focus is good for underwater. -- Autofocus is quick and accurate, and face detection works well.
-videos: this is supposed to be the biggest area of complaint with the TG-2. Apparently the focus motor/zoom motor are very loud in recordings. I tried one and played it back on the camera and yes, you can hear it, but I did not find it horrible. Again, this was playback on the camera only so the speakers are not very big. Will upload it later and see how it is when played on my tv.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter