Best Trip during Pregnancy...Disney World, Cruise or something else..

Hawkeyegirls

Mouseketeer
Hello! We had hopes of going on a Disney cruise this Fall, but I recently found out that I am pregnant, so that trip wont work out!

Our options are free dining at Pop for 6 nights in early August (I will be 23 weeks).
Positives: lots of yummy food, shows & rides I can mostly go on
Negatives: I love roller coasters and wont be able to ride and the heat/walking!

Disney Cruise in August:
Positives: Perfect trip I think
Negatives: I cant get over the summer price tag! Especially compared to the fall and compared to the great price for Disney World.

Have you done any of these pregnant, and which did you prefer, or do you have other family trip suggestions for me?! Thanks!

I haven't done a cruise while pregnant, but my coworker did. She was miserable the entire time....she couldn't handle the motion of the boat and basically puked the entire time with the exception of the times she was on land. I think she was pretty early in her pregnancy though...so it was morning sickness on top of the motion sickness.

A) Will you need to fly to get to WDW?
B) If not flying how long is the drive?

I don't know if I'd want to deal with the heat and humidity while pregnant (I was seriously my own furnace and had an August baby, that was awful).

I haven't done a cruise while pregnant, but my coworker did. She was miserable the entire time....she couldn't handle the motion of the boat and basically puked the entire time with the exception of the times she was on land. I think she was pretty early in her pregnancy though...so it was morning sickness on top of the motion sickness.

A) Will you need to fly to get to WDW?
B) If not flying how long is the drive?

I don't know if I'd want to deal with the heat and humidity while pregnant (I was seriously my own furnace and had an August baby, that was awful).

Good to know I didn’t think about motion sickness! I haven’t experienced that cruising before but I have never cruised pregnant either. We would fly but it’s only 2 hours.

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I went to Disney in September when I was 23 weeks. While I wasn't able to ride everything, there was more than enough to keep me occupied all day. It was great, I was watched more shows than usual and took it easy with breaks when needed. It was hot, but I figured it would have still been hot and humid in NJ when I went. Just rest when needed, those indoor air conditioned shows are the best) and drink plenty in the heat.

Personally, I’d rather be on land if I had some kind of medical emergency while pregnant. I know that for most women, the chances of anything bad happening are minuscule, but I would still not be comforted by being in the middle of the ocean. I did Disney at 15 weeks...less than 23 obviously, but still second trimester. We went over Memorial Day and it was hot, but I managed well with a lot of breaks and a lot of water. I just went in with the mentality that I would have fun because hey, it’s Disney! And I had a really good time, despite not being able to ride the restricted rides.

Every woman has to do what makes her feel comfortable, though, and I realize I tend to lean conservative.

Congrats! Disney while pregnant can be great. I think staying hydrated, rested, and not pushing yourself too hard are key. I'm currently pregnant with our second and we'll be doing two WDW trips this year (second one I'll be about 26 weeks). There's plenty to do without the thrill rides and you can really choose how much you want to do. I've scheduled a prenatal massage during one of our trips at the Senses spa. You could also look into taking maternity photos while there if that's something you're interested in. Personally I choose not to cruise while pregnant since I prefer to be on land and near medical facilities just in case anything happens, although we're definitely hoping to take the kids on a Disney cruise within the next few years.

I have done both. We went on the Dream when I was expecting #2 and was 18 weeks and had a wonderful time. No issues at all with sea sickness. Then we went to DW when I was expecting #3 and I was 30 weeks. Again I had a wonderful time. I believe the deciding factor would be the kind of vacation you want. The cruise will be relaxing and DW will be so much walking.

I went on a Disney cruise in my second trimester. I was pretty miserable--nauseous the entire time, with one day of vomiting that resulted in basically an entire day ruined--I just lay in bed. But I should point out--I don't "do" pregnancy well, I pretty much feel motion sick for 9 months. So, someone else could be perfectly fine. But, since this is your first pregnancy, and you don't know how things will go, I wouldn't risk the money/time on a cruise. Keep in mind, cruises have restrictions on pregnancies (can't travel past a certain point--it's earlier than flying). Plus, you can't use dramamine/bonine.

Besides all that, I probably would feel safer on land. Not to sound paranoid, but I once found myself with a sick toddler in Jamaica on a Friday night. It really drove home to me the reality that we were in a third-world country.

It might be kind of sad to go to WDW and not experience your favorite coasters. OTOH, you could have a laid-back Disney trip, see shows that maybe you've missed while racing to Expedition Everest, do a deep exploration of the countries in Epcot (with appropriate snack/rest breaks, of course!), relax in the pool. Just have it be a different style of vacation. Maybe have a different vacation theme--see all the minor/overlooked attractions that you haven't been to, maybe resort-hop around the monorail, that sort of thing.

Disneyland? California wins for weather compared to Florida in August. We went the third week of August in 2017 and found it very pleasant. Many schools were already back in session so crowds were managable as well.

And walking is less as well. A much more compact park system. Hotels within walking distance. Check out the Disneyland forum for more info.

No way I'd do the parks in August - especially being pregnant.

You're cutting it a little close with the cruising. Disney won't let you sail if you're 24 weeks.

Honestly, I'd be looking into different options entirely.

Thanks all for your replies! Its given me a lot to think about. This trip is mainly for my daughter- shes is 7, and will have a sibling for the first time coming up,I thought a summer trip would be a good treat -since we both love everything Disney that is why its the only place I can think to go! We also cant just go to a beach resort and lay in the sun (fair skinned) so that leaves all those relaxing vacations out.

Thanks all for your replies! Its given me a lot to think about. This trip is mainly for my daughter- shes is 7, and will have a sibling for the first time coming up,I thought a summer trip would be a good treat -since we both love everything Disney that is why its the only place I can think to go! We also cant just go to a beach resort and lay in the sun (fair skinned) so that leaves all those relaxing vacations out.

Not sure where you are, but maybe something like Williamsburg/VA beach or Hershey PA.

I went to Disney during both of my pregnancies - both around 24-28 weeks. I didn't go during August, but I went in December for my first pregnancy and September for my second. I thought WDW was a great place to be on vacation while pregnant. There aren't that many rides you can't do - and you can certainly find enough to fill your time without them. Your trip has a much more relaxing feel to it when you eliminate some of the headliners from your itinerary!

Things I loved about Disney as a vacation while pregnant:
-Lots of places to sit
-Free ice water everywhere
-People are especially nice and attentive to you
-Alcohol is not really a big part of a Disney trip (at least for me) so it's not like going to an all-inclusive in the Caribbean where you're the only one not sipping tropical drinks all day
-Even though there is a lot of walking, there's an equal amount of sitting
-I made sure to schedule a sit-down meal every day...which is not something I normally do - and I really enjoyed it!

I stayed at Pop on my first pregnancy trip and we booked a preferred room so we'd be right next to the main building. It was totally worth it while pregnant. On my second trip, we stayed at Caribbean Beach, and I requested a room right by a bus stop.

If you go, have a great time! Bring a bag full of snacks and water with you each day to the parks :-)

This is exactly what we did! One last "hurrah" for my son before his sister was born. It was a fantastic trip, and I'm so glad we did it :-)

So, when I was pregnant 2 years ago, we were supposed to do a Disney cruise with my in-laws. I would've just made it under the 20-something week mark that cruises allow. However, I had some issues, and the doctor grounded me, so we did WDW instead. We did 11 days, and I was about 5-6 months pregnant. It was nice to schedule in some resort days to just relax and enjoy meals and things because I was moving a lot slower. And PS....NO ONE ever gave up their seat to the pregnant lady (me!) on the busses, so plan to stand a lot. It was fun, but riding things was certainly limited. For example, it's not recommended to ride Autotopia because if you get smacked from behind, it may cause jarring. It's also not recommended to ride Star Tours because of all the movement of the seats. I could've risked it, but waited 5 long years to get pregnant, and didn't want to do so. So my hubby rode a lot of the rides himself, and we would just trade Magic Bands so he could FP twice. I, on the other hand, just walked around shops, and sat a lot and waited.

Disney pregnant can be fun, but not as much fun as when you're not pregnant! Hope this helps.

I just went to Disney at 17 weeks pregnant (best trip my husband and I have had there together, it was really a blast) - HOWEVER, it was in late March. Perfect weather (not hot or humid at all). August would be tough for sure, but if you're smart about it (lots of breaks, hydration, etc.) and are more used to hot weather (I am from Ohio, so I'm NOT used to Florida in August), I'm sure it's doable.

For cruising, I'd call your OB's office and ask them about wherever your itinerary is stopping. We had a cruise booked for December this year on the Dream (Nassau/Castaway Cay itinerary). On a whim, I checked the CDC website and saw that Zika had been reported in the Bahamas...called my OB's office as we were trying to get pregnant than and they recommended that we cancel, so we did. It sounds like you're okay time-wise (DCL doesn't let women sail in their 24th week) but I'd look at the Zika info: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/health-safety/pregnant/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter