Best tips for August trip

goofy4wdw2

DIS Veteran
What are your best tips for a summer/August trip to Disney? We haven’t been during the summer in a very long time and never with kids but we’re going in a few weeks with our kids ages 13, 10, and 7.

First trip without stroller so don’t want to carry too much in the heat but anything you definitely recommend other than sunscreen, visor, sunglasses and maybe ponchos? Planning to freeze water bottles overnight and keep them with drinks in a backpack cooler. Are the cooling towels actually helpful and if so, what brand do you recommend? Possibly a spray bottle fan but not sure if it’s more of a hassle to carry without a stroller?

Our plan is to get up early most mornings, your then mid/late morning fast passes, sit down lunch for the A/C, then break at the hotel and go back to the parks in the evening. We don’t usually take breaks so this is new for us. Any suggestions for time to head back to hotel or back to park to avoid the most crowds and heat? Wondering if we should just grab a quick dinner before touring again or if we should make dinner ADRs.

I wear supportive flip flops but some of my family prefer sneakers/socks. Any tips to avoid blisters if caught in a storm?

Thanks!!

I think you've got it covered. I don't find the spray bottles to be all that helpful and, with the heat, I would try to travel as lightly as possible in the parks.

We typically only do half days in the parks in August, but your RD, break in the afternoon, then going back out in the evening is a solid plan. When we go to the parks in the morning, we typically leave after lunch around 1 pm. If we go back, we don't go back until after 5 pm. Even then, it's still really hot out. You can leave your dinner plans up in the air unless there is somewhere you absolutely have to eat. We either do QS or I'll check the MDE app in the afternoon to see if there is anything interesting available for dinner.

This sounds exactly like our plan for this August, except we are not bringing water, we will just grab free waters as we need them from counter service. As PP mentioned, I really don't want to carry much. Last time we had a stroller with a cooler in the basket which worked well. No one wants to carry a heavy backpack. I'm just bringing a crossbody with the essentials and DH will carry a small pack with the ponchos. We went in Sept which is pretty much as hot as August, and the heat really does get to you. One thing I am planning this time is making sure to add in air conditioned attractions even in the early morning, even if they aren't high priority. Having a 10-20 minute break in air conditioning spread throughout the morning can make a big difference. We tried the towels and the spray fans and to be honest, it was so humid, neither really helped (you can't cool off if the water won't evaporate). One thing we found to help was to bring washcloths and dip them in ice water and wipe the dirt and sweat off my face and put a cold washcloth on my neck for a few moments. I can't imagine keeping a towel on my neck all day like some do with the cooling towels.

Take laundry detergent and dryer sheets and be prepared to do laundry! The first time we went in the summer, our clothes were so sweaty I felt I didn't have a choice but to wash them before we could put them back in the suitcase! It was so easy, we usually always do laundry now! There's also an app that lets you know how many washers/dryers are open and how long is left in wash/dry cycle!

I travel as light as possible, stroller or not. DH has a backpack that holds his camera in a compartment on the bottom, and then we put in a few diapers, wipes, ponchos, and sunscreen. I carry a cross body purse that holds my camera.

I also toss in blister band aids, anti-chafe gel (Body Glide, or Monistat makes one as well) so if anyone’s shoes (or thighs :-) ) rub, that cuts down on the chafing before a blister happens. If there is rain in the forecast we toss socks into the backpack, and if we’re planning on splash mountain or Kali rapids we bring flip flops as well. It sounds like a lot but it all fits in one small backpack and my very small cross body.

For water we bring refillable water bottles that have filters in them. We fill them with water from fountains or QS counters (and even TS restaurants have offered water so we can fill them).

As above, one way of being able to travel light is to bring some laundry gear and use the onsite laundry facilities. Staying in a DVC resort makes this easy! But most hotels on and off site will have some kind of amenities to clean clothes .

As for going into the parks I think you have most things down....

Cooling towels:

There are basically 2 kinds, 1 that uses 2 layers of microfiber type material to aid in the evaporation process, or ones that are more 'chamois' like and are a single piece of absorbent foam. We use both to good effect... the material ones are great for flexibility of use... head, legs, neck etc... but they dry out really fast. The foam ones tend to last a little longer but are much less versatile when it comes to application spots. Get the cheap ones off Amazon that come in a 5 or 6 pack, work just as well as the branded ones!

Shoes and socks in rain:

I use a product by Reshoven8r that is a spray application to create a hydrophobic layer on the shoes. I do this to all of my material sneakers / tennis shoes and it works a treat! IT doesn't make them like hiking boots lol but it does a fantastic job of keeping your feet dry in a down pour! It's breathable too so not going to create excess sweat.

Spray fans?:

We will use a pump and spray atomizer that creates a fantastic mist for the kids and fill it up with ice and water. We hand it off the stroller which you are not taking so it may not work for you. Target sells an 02 Cool brand that is compact, however, never tried it so cannot comment really. If we really need a fan we will purchase one in the parks and then use it all day and keep getting refills for it, so that may be a good option?

Timing:

Taking breaks is key to maximizing your time and enjoyment, one of the biggest issues and errors I see all the time. It's easy to do but a lot of people treat kids like mini-adults, but their body's are far from it. They do not regulate body temperature as well and are much more sensitive to sun that adults. As a result, it tends to be the kids that suffer the most in parents quests to maximize value. I think you have the general idea, we tend to go in at rope drop or a little after, get some cool attractions in then come home for lunch for an hour or two to relax and recharge. We tend to try and miss the 1-3pm timeslot as this tends to be the hottest in our experience as well as very busy. We usually go back in later in the afternoon / early evening until the park closes. That way we get lots of park time but do so in chunks so as not to get over exposed or burnt out.

The hard thing is convincing the kids that they are not missing anything by being home, it was a hard sell at first! But they got to enjoy the breaks and the fact they were able to go for longer in the evening etc.. We add an ADR to most days in the early afternoon so if we cannot get back or want to start a little later we can stay in the park and get some down time in a cooled sit down restaurant. This obviously adds to the budget, but it is worth it for us.... gives you a great way to recharge.

Just remember you will sweat a lot, drinking just water will never fully re-hydrate you due to the loss of electrolytes, so add a little Gatorade or powerade to your diet, or if those are not tolerable, you can purchase flavored or un flavored tablets to drop into water that will help keep you topped up. A lot of people drink lots of water which is great! But they are not as quick to replace those lost electrolytes which are very important when exerting so much energy! IF you are staying off site, a little trick I use with my own kids is to freeze Gatorade in an ice cube tray and add them to their water bottles... a nice burst of flavor, keeps the water cool but also adds some much needed electrolytes.

I already know I am going to be the odd man out here but we did the whole break for the hotel in the middle of the day thing and just found that we exerted double the amount of energy coming and going in and out of the parks 4 times in a day vs. 2. Granted, we had little ones and were not staying late for fireworks or anything so maybe that makes it different but we prefer to take long breaks in the park in a/c areas. This may be different in a few years if we are pushing through til 10pm, I don’t know. But walking to and from those entrances in 100 degrees and 99% humidity isn’t a walk in the park (pun not intended). Plus, Once we are back in our cool hotel room, it’s hard to get us to get out in that heat again.!

I already know I am going to be the odd man out here but we did the whole break for the hotel in the middle of the day thing and just found that we exerted double the amount of energy coming and going in and out of the parks 4 times in a day vs. 2. Granted, we had little ones and were not staying late for fireworks or anything so maybe that makes it different but we prefer to take long breaks in the park in a/c areas. This may be different in a few years if we are pushing through til 10pm, I don’t know. But walking to and from those entrances in 100 degrees and 99% humidity isn’t a walk in the park (pun not intended). Plus, Once we are back in our cool hotel room, it’s hard to get us to get out in that heat again.!

We don’t do a mid-day break either. I plan our day as best as I can to make use of anything air conditioned (I don’t love the Little Mermaid show at HS having seen it 50 times but I won’t turn down 1/2 an hour of decadent AC!). Leaving the park, waiting for a bus, walking to the room and then settling everyone in (when they’d rather be seeing the little mermaid show for the 51st time) just adds work for us. This time I’m bringing a 2 year old and I still won’t do it.

I can see that, this is the reason why we always stay at the monorail resorts. We can either walk back, catch a boat or jump on the monorail. Makes it convenient, but I can see being elsewhere may be much different!

We are also going in August for the first time 'summer' trip (we usually do cooler months) and this time I have two brooding teens. I tend to think going with younger kids may be easier in the heat because they may be hot but they most likely won't complain as much. I did get a 4 pack of the cooling neck wraps as they seem simple and very light weight and we always freeze our water bottles and bring Gatorade. We have been to DW so many times that our focus is first on the new things and then a slow pace to see favorites. I did make ADRs for either lunch or dinner but we also tend to do QS at places that have indoor seating with AC or seating that is out of the sun. We planned our trip with 'break' day as well to ensure we are not constantly on the go. Many of the tips posted in this thread are very helpful. Thank yo to OP for posting!

I will probably also take travel fresh wipes, travel deodorant, and travel size powder in my bag. Any other suggestions to keep the stink away?

Where are you staying? In the past, when we have stayed off the monorail, we did not take a mid day break. We powered through and took breaks while in the parks and then headed back to the hotel around 3-4pm to hit the pool, etc. Having to go back and forth mid day with 4 kids was an exhausting nightmare in the heat. This year, however, we are staying at the Contemporary, so we will come and go from Magic Kingdom during the day. We have a 13, 11 and 6 yr old twins. This will be the first time we don't have a stroller for the little ones, and I'm hoping it goes well ! We grab ice and free water in the park and bring refillable water bottles. The summer is a totally different beast in FL. We have gone in August as well as March, and when traveling in August, the key is to minimize what you are carrying. You will wear yourself out and get way too hot carrying a heavy backpack.

Where are you staying? In the past, when we have stayed off the monorail, we did not take a mid day break. We powered through and took breaks while in the parks and then headed back to the hotel around 3-4pm to hit the pool, etc. Having to go back and forth mid day with 4 kids was an exhausting nightmare in the heat. This year, however, we are staying at the Contemporary, so we will come and go from Magic Kingdom during the day. We have a 13, 11 and 6 yr old twins. This will be the first time we don't have a stroller for the little ones, and I'm hoping it goes well ! We grab ice and free water in the park and bring refillable water bottles. The summer is a totally different beast in FL. We have gone in August as well as March, and when traveling in August, the key is to minimize what you are carrying. You will wear yourself out and get way too hot carrying a heavy backpack.

We are staying at Wilderness Lodge (Boulder Ridge Villas) so not too far to take a break during MK day. Kids are just about the same ages except we only have one young one. We took a stroller in November with our 6 year old and he only sat in a few times so you should be good! We only really used it to hold our stuff so not taking this time.

I can see that, this is the reason why we always stay at the monorail resorts. We can either walk back, catch a boat or jump on the monorail. Makes it convenient, but I can see being elsewhere may be much different!

Ha! We were at the GF villas! Epcot is a beast to leave and the transfer at the ttc isn’t fun either. Maybe b/c we did Epcot on the first day and AK on the second, it just took all the steam out of us...

Ha! We were at the GF villas! Epcot is a beast to leave and the transfer at the ttc isn’t fun either. Maybe b/c we did Epcot on the first day and AK on the second, it just took all the steam out of us...

I agree that monorail transport to Epcot, although really awesome riding through the park and getting a sneak peak before getting off the monorail, is time consuming and the transfer at TTC can add to the time and exhaustion...those walking ramps are tiring when you’re already tired!

I will probably also take travel fresh wipes, travel deodorant, and travel size powder in my bag. Any other suggestions to keep the stink away?
Simply, don't wear old tennis shoes/sneakers to WDW in summer. If they get wet, man, the stink is horrible.

Too many times we've been stuck on a ride next to a family with stinky feet, and it is just nasty.

We don't carry any extra travel wipes, and don't like baby powder.

The only little thing we do carry is chapstick-style sunscreen. Our first line of defense is a good coating of sunscreen before we leave the room (usually a combo of lotion on our faces and spray). The chapstick is mostly just for a re-apply or in case someone forgot.

We also don't do any kind of towels or water squirters. We generally prefer to stay dray. Folks using the misters just look sweaty. Though we sometimes run through the WDW fan water misters or riding Kali.

Ah one more thing, take pictures early! If you want a little extra thing, maybe bring blotting papers (or use a tissue/napkin to wipe your face). Braids are a good idea for long hair.

I've never drank Gatorade in my life, BUT, we drink lots of water, and make a point to buy electrolyte infused water if possible. If not, then just eat fresh fruit, or drink some apple juice or lemonade for a slightly more natural electrolyte replacement.

lol the GF is one of the only places we haven't stayed, I feel the guests there get hosed on the monorail.... its the last stop before it gets to the MK so it is always near full, and its the last stop on the return leg! lol its the worst of all worlds on both ends haha.... but i'm sure its a great hotel.

Epcot can be a beast to get to, not too bad from the Poly as you just walk over to the TTC and get the monorail, AK is a little different, we tend to grab a cab or the like when we go here. Although I have found the buses not to be too bad. We always schedule Epcot to be a one shot deal and do a day there and that's it, its our family's least favorite park for many reasons.... personal choice I know. We spend most of our time at the MK and so grabbing the boat from WL, Poly etc... is a great way to go. My favorite is walking to the Contemporary though, although haven't done that since they implemented the whole Bag check shenanigans so I guess we will see in a few weeks.

On the 'stinky shoe' front, as a soccer coach that lives in sports gear and shoes whatever the weather, i can suggest some deodorizer balls to simply pop in once you've used them. Helps keep the stink to a minimum as well as kill some of the potential for athletes foot and the like. I just got my new shoes for our trip, moved away from my most comfortable shoe ever (Nike Air Zoom Pegasus!) as they changed the design, and have gone with a more expensive Adidas Ultra Boost model. They are a running shoe and the ultra boost technology is simply ridiculously comfortable. I'd check out some reviews on YouTube regarding the material from hardcore runners... great stability, comfortable and give a great bounce! I'll do a review once I'm back!

Just a note for those with IBS or sensitive to the fructose in Gatorade, as above, get some neutral tablets to add to water so you are not having a flair up in the parks!

If you're worried about getting shoes wet, toss some flip flops in a bag as well as some gallon sized ziploc bags. When you see a thunderstorm approaching or when you're in line for the water ride, put on the flip flops and put the other shoes and socks into the gallon storage bags to keep them dry.

Don't wear new shoes!

Following. We’re leaving in twenty-some days for our second summer trip....9 years ago we went in late may/early June and vowed to never do summer again. Yet things change, turns out pulling a high schooler out of school/sports isn’t feasible so here we go.
This time I think I’ve got a better plan, similar to yours: early morning, mid-day break and possibly back in the evenings plus at least one, sometimes 2 adrs each day.
I’m not going to be a pack mule, I’m carrying a small backpack with a couple of waters, my phone, backup charger, trial size thing of sunscreen, couple bandaids, tissues, wet wipes, wallet and ponchos. If they want more than that they can carry it themselves.
I’m also expecting that we’ll split up (or more likely the 7yo and I will leave dh and the 17yo at the hotel).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter