Best Tip or advice

Do read/research a lot but don't overwhelm yourselves with it all at once. Make plans and lists and than re-make them. Try to be as fluid as possible and when you feel a melt down is impending take a break. Going into knowing that things can go wrong, rides break, lines take longer than expected, etc. so when the plan actually works you'll enjoy it more.

While there’s a lot to be said for waiting for the return to the full WDW experience, there is an equal argument for not waiting! Since you can’t do everything, does it really matter that some experiences are not available?! And, since this is your first trip, you won’t be missing thing you’d previously enjoyed.

Also, there will only only be so much time left before the parks resume full capacity. Crowded parks lose a LOT of their charm, believe me!

Everything said so far is really great advice! Overall, take care of each other, making sure that neither of you gets too hot, tired, hungry, or thirsty to have a magical time.

As a totally addicted, child-free veteran, in addition to the “research and plan” advice (it might seem crazy, but a little bit of discomfort - such as getting up early to make ADRs - can make for a much more relaxed trip later), here’s another tip. Communicate! Understand what both of you hope to get out of your trip, plan as best you can accordingly, and be flexible if needed. Left on my own, I’m a commando. It took me a few trips with DH to realize that he was less than delighted with this approach to vacation - when I took it down a notch on our last trip, staying at a resort within walking distance of his fave park, building in afternoon rests, etc, it was better all around :). One other thing, if you’re looking for meals that have slightly fewer families, we’ve found Swan and Dolphin to be really great. Enjoy!

Research and have a plan, but be willing to ditch the plan if circumstances dictate that. Trying to strictly adhere to a plan can lead to some stress. Be flexible and go with the flow if need be.

Buy a copy of The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. IMHO, don’t get hung up on dining. It’s almost all overpriced and in many cases just OK. There are some good restaurants but we don’t go for the food.

Last edited:
My #1 tip: Don't over-plan. Keep it simple and fun!

#2-Keep it simple and fun!

By those, I mean don't try to micromanage every minute or every detail of the trip. No visit ever goes 100% the way we think it will, and the biggest stressor I see is when people get upset the trip isn't going the way they envisioned it going. If something isn't going according to plan- roll with it and modify!

For a first trip, I wouldn't plan many table service meals (less than 1 per day), or any other of the pre-paid activities WDW offers. (or did in the before times.) When looking to book a table service meal, if you are staying onsite, consider booking the ones offered at your resort. Otherwise, getting around WDW on time can be stressful. WDW transportation and weather can be a bit unpredictable.

Another - what I would call mistake- I think many first timers sometimes make is to go overboard with matching outfits or costumes and trying to have everyone look a certain way. Too often I have seen miserable families, because the items are uncomfortable or a family member is rebelling, and the family planner is yelling at everyone because it isn't going according to the plan they envisioned.

I can't keep it to just those, but most of the following also mostly = stay flexible:

#3 Do try to arrive early AND/OR stay late- BUT - only as much as it doesn't make your family miserable. If someone is tired/stressed, take a break.

#4 Break the rules a little! One of our secret little trip solutions is to eat ice cream for lunch, or at least it before lunch. DO NOT try to eat lunch at noon. Again, flexible! Eat a cookie for breakfast! whatever is easy.

#4- Zig when everyone else zags. Don't turn your brain off. Again, don't eat lunch at noon when everyone else is trying to eat lunch. Along the same lines, try to avoid ALL of the WDW rush hours if possible, like avoid starting your trip on a Friday night. For attractions, you do NOT need to research every nook of the parks, just know the 3 most popular attractions in each park. Do those early, late, maybe skip. (MK=Mtns + PPan. HS=Rise, Slinky, and M Falcon. Epcot = TT, FEA, Soarin', and will be Ratatouille when it opens. AK = Pandora+ Safari. US = H Potter rides). Also, WDW is SO much more than just the attractions. Your favorite part might just be a quiet garden or water fountain! Just go with it!

Mid-day, stick mostly with short(er) line attractions - via the app - if possible. Most attraction lines ebb and flow. If a line is long, walk away/skip it. Maybe come back later. Unless someone in your group has very limited endurance.

#5 STAY FLEXIBLE! As much as possible do NOT promise anyone that any specific thing will happen, or require any specific thing to happen. Attractions do go down, someone might get too tired, etc. Adults often throw the worst temper tantrums of all!

#6- Get in shape/be comfortable! Go for daily walks before you go, buy the most comfortable new shoes you can find! Highly consider the type of sandals that are water-tolerant + have robust support (Teva is one brand) AND a pair of high quality sneakers for everyone. Also in this category- minimize what you carry, and maybe even what you pack. Again, think comfortable. Maybe get a new roller bag if it is easier. I also love ziploc bags for WDW trips; many ways they come in handy. Along the same lines, I'm not sure how to say, but sometimes paying for an little extra service can make the day- like paying for transportation, or an upgrade of some kind: maybe that stupid fancy drink/stuffed animal. Some smiles are free, others cost $10. A small slush fund at WDW is a good idea for those unexpected little treats.

#7- Stay hydrated! One place you must be rigid is to make sure everyone drinks LOTS of liquids (except alcohol and soda), even if it means more bathroom breaks, and paying for them. Apple juice and lemonade are great, even watered down.

Last edited:
You will have a great time. There is soooooooooo much to do. I think first trips are getting the lay of the land and 100 percent discovery. Subsequent trips will unpeel the layers of all things Disney that Orlando has to offer. My first trip with DH I thought three days would be plenty. THREE DAYS does not scratch the surface. Since that first trip with DH in 2010 we have spent about 140 days additional days in Orlando at all four parks and at DS. We have the must dos but add new things each trip.

As a totally addicted, child-free veteran, in addition to the “research and plan” advice (it might seem crazy, but a little bit of discomfort - such as getting up early to make ADRs - can make for a much more relaxed trip later), here’s another tip. Communicate! Understand what both of you hope to get out of your trip, plan as best you can accordingly, and be flexible if needed. Left on my own, I’m a commando. It took me a few trips with DH to realize that he was less than delighted with this approach to vacation - when I took it down a notch on our last trip, staying at a resort within walking distance of his fave park, building in afternoon rests, etc, it was better all around :). One other thing, if you’re looking for meals that have slightly fewer families, we’ve found Swan and Dolphin to be really great. Enjoy!

Thank you for you comment and your service! Im a Marine mama! We are staying at the Swan, ill have to look at their restaurants! I will have to get up at 3 am when my ADRs open up. Hubby doesn't want to pick places to eat two months out but I explained to him that he will be happy I did when were there in the moment. It will be our first time going without kids.

Make sure you get on a boat at some point. Everything slows down and you can really just relax and enjoy the world around you.

There's somethign really, really special about being on the water in WDW.
Thank you, were staying at the swan and I did think taking the boat back the room a good idea to get a different perspective.

My #1 tip: Don't over-plan. Keep it simple and fun!

#2-Keep it simple and fun!

By those, I mean don't try to micromanage every minute or every detail of the trip. No visit ever goes 100% the way we think it will, and the biggest stressor I see is when people get upset the trip isn't going the way they envisioned it going. If something isn't going according to plan- roll with it and modify!

For a first trip, I wouldn't plan many table service meals (less than 1 per day), or any other of the pre-paid activities WDW offers. (or did in the before times.) When looking to book a table service meal, if you are staying onsite, consider booking the ones offered at your resort. Otherwise, getting around WDW on time can be stressful. WDW transportation and weather can be a bit unpredictable.

Another - what I would call mistake- I think many first timers sometimes make is to go overboard with matching outfits or costumes and trying to have everyone look a certain way. Too often I have seen miserable families, because the items are uncomfortable or a family member is rebelling, and the family planner is yelling at everyone because it isn't going according to the plan they envisioned.

I can't keep it to just those, but most of the following also mostly = stay flexible:

#3 Do try to arrive early AND/OR stay late- BUT - only as much as it doesn't make your family miserable. If someone is tired/stressed, take a break.

#4 Break the rules a little! One of our secret little trip solutions is to eat ice cream for lunch, or at least it before lunch. DO NOT try to eat lunch at noon. Again, flexible! Eat a cookie for breakfast! whatever is easy.

#4- Zig when everyone else zags. Don't turn your brain off. Again, don't eat lunch at noon when everyone else is trying to eat lunch. Along the same lines, try to avoid ALL of the WDW rush hours if possible, like avoid starting your trip on a Friday night. For attractions, you do NOT need to research every nook of the parks, just know the 3 most popular attractions in each park. Do those early, late, maybe skip. (MK=Mtns + PPan. HS=Rise, Slinky, and M Falcon. Epcot = TT, FEA, Soarin', and will be Ratatouille when it opens. AK = Pandora+ Safari. US = H Potter rides). Also, WDW is SO much more than just the attractions. Your favorite part might just be a quiet garden or water fountain! Just go with it!

Mid-day, stick mostly with short(er) line attractions - via the app - if possible. Most attraction lines ebb and flow. If a line is long, walk away/skip it. Maybe come back later. Unless someone in your group has very limited endurance.

#5 STAY FLEXIBLE! As much as possible do NOT promise anyone that any specific thing will happen, or require any specific thing to happen. Attractions do go down, someone might get too tired, etc. Adults often throw the worst temper tantrums of all!

#6- Get in shape/be comfortable! Go for daily walks before you go, buy the most comfortable new shoes you can find! Highly consider the type of sandals that are water-tolerant + have robust support (Teva is one brand) AND a pair of high quality sneakers for everyone. Also in this category- minimize what you carry, and maybe even what you pack. Again, think comfortable. Maybe get a new roller bag if it is easier. I also love ziploc bags for WDW trips; many ways they come in handy. Along the same lines, I'm not sure how to say, but sometimes paying for an little extra service can make the day- like paying for transportation, or an upgrade of some kind: maybe that stupid fancy drink/stuffed animal. Some smiles are free, others cost $10. A small slush fund at WDW is a good idea for those unexpected little treats.

#7- Stay hydrated! One place you must be rigid is to make sure everyone drinks LOTS of liquids (except alcohol and soda), even if it means more bathroom breaks, and paying for them. Apple juice and lemonade are great, even watered down.
Thank you for all your advice! Hubby and I did start walking each day to help prepare ourselves. I was planning on bringing my Tevas and got a good pair of running shoes that I am now breaking in.

Without crowds is the best time to go. Even if you have to wear a mask.

Try one day rope drop. Then try one day late wake up and close the park down. Figure out which you like best.

Make Table Service reservations once a day to really relax and soak it all in. Go back and take a nap or pool break in the middle of a long day if you want. :) Don’t feel guilty about 3 hours of restorative rest in a 12 hr park day. 8 hrs of quality time is better than an extra 4 hrs of crankiness and more days ahead.

Realize that you WILL be walking 5-20 miles/day and plan accordingly. Bring an extra pair of shoes and definitely make sure that both pairs are comfortable. You can have the best plans in the world and if your feet are killing you, you won't be able to do much.
You make an excellent point on bringing extra shoes. In addition to needing to switch out shoes when doing this much walking, it is not uncommon for a deluge to hit and for one's shoes to be soaked. It's good to be able to leave a soaked pair of athletic shoes in the hotel room in the A/C to dry out while you begin a new park day with fresh shoes.

I went to WDW for the first time as an adult in my late 30s. Fortunately, my husband had been a few times and knew how to prepare.
I would like to piggy-back on the people who said, "Do your homework."

I read these boards for close to a year before we actually went. There are so many ways to do WDW. Read all the suggestions, lots of trip reports, lots of threads, and come up with a plan that you think you and your dh will like best based on your personalities, budget, and desires.

We absolutely LOVE dining out at WDW. We normally make our own food and travel in our camper on most vacations, but we like the food enough at WDW that we budget for it. Some people say it's a waste, but it is worth it to us. And we love those character meals. My mother finds them annoying, but we enjoy them.

We do not need to stay moderate or deluxe--not important to us. We are happy with value resorts since we really don't hang out at the resorts much. (We did stay at the campground, which is technically a moderate, but we are more into saving money on lodging.) I have colleagues that would never stay in a value. That's them. The deluxe resorts are important to them, so that is where they spend their money.

We are there at rope drop. Some people prefer to get there closer to 10am or noon and stay late. Some like to rope drop, go back to the hotel for a nap, then return and stay until late. Take into consideration if you are larks or night owls.

If/when fast pass + returns, use those fast passes wisely. We like to schedule our fast passes starting at around 10am. We arrive at rope drop and take advantage of the shorter lines, and those fast passes take effect once the crowds start getting heavier. Works for us. YMMV.

You make an excellent point on bringing extra shoes. In addition to needing to switch out shoes when doing this much walking, it is not uncommon for a deluge to hit and for one's shoes to be soaked. It's good to be able to leave a soaked pair of athletic shoes in the hotel room in the A/C to dry out while you begin a new park day with fresh shoes.

This is why we check the weather report every morning. If rain odds are above 50%, we wear our water-tolerant sandals. In WDW's warmer/humid weather, it can take DAYS for wet shoes to dry.

On top of that, if they aren't new shoes, the smell can be terrible when do they do finally dry out.

The good news is that WDW sells shoes! The parks sell sandals, Disney Springs has- if nothing else- an Under Armor store (probably other places as well, that's just one store I know for certain sells shoes.) Also very close to WDW is an outlet mall with at least 4 footwear stores; a short uber ride if all else fails.

Luggage space allowing, we try to bring 3 pairs of shoes each: the 3rd pair = cheap flip flops/slides. We usually only use them in the room, but they also serve as potential back up if our good shoes get wet AND there's even more rain. (If so, we bring 2 pairs of shoes to the park, and only wear the cheap slides while it is raining.)

Mostly though, the above only happens in summer. Another tip is to bring the kind of bandaids that are for blisters. We normally don't need them, but if someone does, they are a trip-saver! (Moleskin is also good option, but it comes in a sheet that has to be cut with scissors.)

Along the same lines, another product many people love is called bodyglide. (In a pinch, a sub for bodyglide is any solid deoderant. It is used to protect chafing skin.) Right now, I'd also strongly consider bringing a little tube of petroleum jelly or some other similar super-strength skin moisturizer, to counter all the hand sanitizer.

Mostly though, the above only happens in summer. Another tip is to bring the kind of bandaids that are for blisters. We normally don't need them, but if someone does, they are a trip-saver! (Moleskin is also good option, but it comes in a sheet that has to be cut with scissors.)

Moleskin was the #1 thing I was about to say! So I second that. I just precut a few different sizes to have with me.

Also, don't underestimate the amount of time that Disney transport will take to get you places. Expect that it will take a while.

And I'd also say - bring something so you can create your own shade. Hat/visor or sun umbrella. With SPF/UPF protection.

And really think about how you like to vacation and plan accordingly. One of my biggest errors in planning for our first visit was to book table service breakfasts. Some people/families love them! But my family wasn't hungry enough in the morning to make it a good value, we were really eager to get going on the rides and we lost morning park time that we would have enjoyed. So I won't book ANY breakfasts for future trips and we'll just nibble on our room supply stash until we sit down to eat lunch. So, as others have said, do your research but don't take any one piece of advice as canon. Know your own preferences and vacation style as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter