Best time to take young kids out of school?

Mardigras2025

Earning My Ears
Hi all! What does everyone think is the best time of year to take young (5/6 and 3/4) kids?

I was planning for spring break 2025 - the week of March 24th. I thought with a late Easter, nice weather, flower and garden festival, genie+, lightning lanes, and early entry could make it bearable. I’m having second thoughts after seeing spring break 2024 and which districts line up with our plans next year. We have a 5 year old (6 in November 2024) and a 3 year old (4 in March 2025). We were fairly confident that by March 2025 our youngest would be above the 40” and oldest 44”.

Also having second thoughts because I see Miami, Chicago, broward, palm beach, Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, Washington DC all have spring break the week of March 24, 2025.

With my kids so young (kindergarten and pre-k), I think we are just going to take them out of school to avoid crowds and potentially save a little money. However, I still would like to avoid extreme heat/humidity, hurricane season, etc., but it would be nice to use the pool.

What do you think are the best times to take young kids to avoid intense crowds, extreme heat, rain, etc.?

Early May and early December might both be a good fit for your family. The crowds are lower during those time periods compared to the rest of the year and the weather isn't as extreme as the rest of the year.

Early May- Families are less likely to pull their kids out of school right before the school year ends since summer break would be coming up shortly after. It will be hot in early May but the heat won't be as extreme as it is June through mid-September.

Early December- Getting more crowded every year but still lower crowds overall. Since many people travel over Thanksgiving they are less likely to head right out to travel the following week. The weather is nice and you get to see all of the holiday decorations and parties. Pools are heated but sometimes the weather takes a dip and it gets too chilly to swim.

Also having second thoughts because I see Miami, Chicago, broward, palm beach, Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, Washington DC all have spring break the week of March 24, 2025.
I'm not sure where you're seeing that spring break for many next year is the week of March 24th. Is that spring break for where you live? Easter is very late next year - April 20, 2025. I live in the DC suburbs in the county with the largest school district in Maryland and our spring break is the week leading up to that so April 14th-18th. Many schools have spring break just before Easter or after depending on when Easter falls. DC public schools have the same week off (the week of April 14th) next year. I'm guessing most public schools around DC have the same week off next year.

With Easter so late in 2025- it may spread out some of the spring break crowd, but for those who travel on school breaks it will be that week in April. So perhaps early March will be better next year than it was this year.

Best way to know how busy the parks will be is to look at ticket and hotel pricing. Disney has a better idea of anticipated crowds than any crowd calendar. But note, when it is "slower" you will likely have shorter park hours and the park won't be staffed to run at capacity.

Based on your requests, I'd suggest the last week of April. December-March can still have cold snaps that could dampen pool time.

I'm not sure where you're seeing that spring break for many next year is the week of March 24th. Is that spring break for where you live? Easter is very late next year - April 20, 2025. I live in the DC suburbs in the county with the largest school district in Maryland and our spring break is the week leading up to that so April 14th-18th. Many schools have spring break just before Easter or after depending on when Easter falls. DC public schools have the same week off (the week of April 14th) next year. I'm guessing most public schools around DC have the same week off next year.

With Easter so late in 2025- it may spread out some of the spring break crowd, but for those who travel on school breaks it will be that week in April. So perhaps early March will be better next year than it was this year.
I looked up all of the school calendars like a crazy person when I was trying to decide between March 17th and March 24th (we have two weeks of spring break 2025). 17th has Orlando, Jacksonville, and a bunch of other Florida districts (Lee, Pasco, Brevard, Sarasota, Hillsborough), plus some Texas ones (Austin, Fort Worth, Plano, round rock, Killeen), Vegas, Kansas City, Oklahoma City.

24th also has Milwaukee, Denver, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, but seems somewhat lighter overall vs. the 17th.

There are some big ones the week before Easter - New York, LA and Long Beach, Baltimore and a bunch of Maryland, Philadelphia, Charlotte and North Carolina, Charleston and South Carolina, a bunch of Virginia, and Seattle.

So maybe the spreading out will help overall (most of Texas and Tennessee is March 10th for example). And even though there are some big districts on the week of March 24th, maybe we can get by and it won’t be as bad as spring break 2024.

Hi all! What does everyone think is the best time of year to take young (5/6 and 3/4) kids?

I was planning for spring break 2025 - the week of March 24th. I thought with a late Easter, nice weather, flower and garden festival, genie+, lightning lanes, and early entry could make it bearable. I’m having second thoughts after seeing spring break 2024 and which districts line up with our plans next year. We have a 5 year old (6 in November 2024) and a 3 year old (4 in March 2025). We were fairly confident that by March 2025 our youngest would be above the 40” and oldest 44”.

With my kids so young (kindergarten and pre-k), I think we are just going to take them out of school to avoid crowds and potentially save a little money. However, I still would like to avoid extreme heat/humidity, hurricane season, etc., but it would be nice to use the pool.

What do you think are the best times to take young kids to avoid intense crowds, extreme heat, rain, etc.?

Still hurricane season, but possibly consider mid-October, after the holidays. We always used to go the week before Halloween when my DS was younger. Also consider mid-December, after Thanksgiving but at least a week before the week that leads up to Christmas. Late April, early May as well.

The busiest week of the year is probably between Christmas and New Year’s days. I’ve noted lines to get into the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse ( true desperation!) in that timeframe. Thanksgiving week is pretty full but not as much as December.

To find out what times will offer cheaper rates input dates at different times. My guess is immediately after December when many people are broke/still paying for the holidays. On the other hand Disney heavily promotes running events during mid January to February 🤷🏽‍♀️

Maybe prices are lower during the early spring or later fall?

By the time we began taking children on longer trips the kids were older and it made more sense to wait for their school holidays.

Having taken our kids on Disney/DCL trips almost every year while they were in school we always chose Nov/Dec/Jan due to weather and crowds. I would encourage you to pick a time that is best for your family and just go as often as you can. You have your kids for such a short period of time and those trips together are invaluable. I often laughed at the paperwork our district required in order to give their blessing for us to take our kids out of school. We played the game but we were going regardless. Don’t sweat it and Enjoy the time you have!!

First week of December or May

I am a teacher. I hate "busy". I plan out trips based on Crowd Calendars I find online. Last two trips have been last week of Feb into March and Last week of Jan into Feb was our last trip with 2.5 year old and it was great, but also the last week of Splash Mtn.

I think mid Jan - Mid Feb is great just want to see what events Disney has going on and avoid them. I also live in PA so love escaping winter lol.

https://lovethemousetravel.com/calendar/2025-walt-disney-world-crowd-calendar/

We always pulled our kids out when they were younger in late Sept and Oct. We’ve also pulled them in early Feb a couple times for DLR and DCL. I’d avoid spring break at any costs as well as Easter. Worst crowds we’ve ever seen were over Easter and that was 25 years ago! We’ve avoided that week like the plague!

This or early December. Don't go in March or April.

Shortly before covid we went on a spring break trip in mid-March. I said never, ever again. It felt busier than when we have been in the parks between Christmas and New Years. Last year, my daughter's band had a spring break trip to Orlando. We spent one day at Disney, and I remembered why I said I would never go on spring break again. I highly recommend not choosing March or April for your trip.

Make sure to also avoid President’s day weekend and any other holiday weekends, even seemingly minor ones. Avoid Run Disney weekends.

We generally did early December when our kids were young. The parks are decorated really nicely that time of year and the weather is good. For us, early May is about the end of the School year.
I would do Spring Break time, only if there were no other options, super crowded.
March to early April is another good time.

We've only taken our kids out of school one time for a Disney trip (we usually go in June, the week after they're out of school). I had done a ton of reading/research to figure out the best week to go during the school year (at the time our 2 oldest children were in college, and then we had a 5th grader, a 3rd grader, and our youngest was in Pre-K). Matching up the best weeks at Disney with our school calendars (the college kids were finished around 5/9, and the elementary school kids had state/achievement tests the 2nd week in May and their last day of school was June 12) we went the 3rd week in May. I would do that week again in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, one of our sons is a teacher now so we're stuck going in June as his district frowns upon staff members taking weeklong personal vacations during the school year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter