• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

best time to ride splash to minimize getting wet

azgal81

<font color=blue>I am such a big fan of color<br><
I love splash mountain but am a little worried about riding it when it is only 67 degrees outside. I will be in the parks next week and I don't want to get wet then freeze. I have riden this ride multiple times in the summer but never had to worry about how wet I got since I dried quickly. Sometimes I ride this and get soaked other times I barely get wet at all.

I was wondering if anyone knows the best time of the day to ride this ride and not get that wet. I already know it's not the smartest thing to ride in the front I did that once and got soaked.

I love this ride and I don't mind getting wet at all I just don't want to get so wet that I can't dry and catch a cold.

Anyone have any tips??

Well, first of all, you absolutely don't get colds from getting wet or cold. Only viruses can give you a cold! So don't worry about that at all.

Second of all, you could consider purchasing a plastic poncho. They are quite effective! I used one for the grizzly water ride in California Adventure and you get even more wet on that than you do on Splash Mountain. And you are right to not be in the front. I found that being in the third of forth position is optimal to avoid getting wet. It does seem that sometimes you get more wet on these rides and I think maybe it has something to do with water levels in the ride and probably it would be hard to predict the best time to ride.

I actually considered bringing a change of clothes for this purpose. I'm not bothered getting wet at all, even when it's cold, but I always have mole skins on my blisters that I don't want to get wet. That, and I tend to get chaffed when I wear wet clothes, so I definately understand the desire to stay dry!

My room mate loves to use getting wet on Splash Mountain as an excuse to purchase a new Disneyland sweater! lol! I think she has the best idea of all! :)

Anyway, have a great time!

Dakota_Lynn said:
Well, first of all, you absolutely don't get colds from getting wet or cold. Only viruses can give you a cold! So don't worry about that at all.

And next you'll tell me Santa isn't real. And what about spontaneous generation?
I bring a change of clothes for the kids. For me, I wear shorts under my sweats. Take the sweats off for the ride, put them on after, and I'm nice and warm. The laughing place gets awfully chilly though. Oh, a pair of dry socks always helps.

SANDIEGOFAN said:
And next you'll tell me Santa isn't real.

Oh no I won't tell you Santa isn't real! He brought me all kind of really cool Harry Potter stuff last month so you better believe he is real! Santa Clause is my hero!
63.gif

Shorts under your sweats; great idea! But how do you keep the sweats dry while on the ride? Do you stick them in a back pack or something?

I found a neat trick to keeping my feet dry (and therefore my poor mole skinned blisters). I go and get plastic shopping bags from a store and wrap them around my feet and legs. It makes me look like a total idiot, but it works amazingly well unless it's one of those "get really wet" days. You know the kind where the water just comes over your canoe like a tsunami. When that happens there's nothing you can do but pray. lol!

I just friggin' love Splash Mountain even if it does get me soggy!

Oh, i know he's real just from looking at my credit card bills - Disney Visa BTW. Got to earn those points.
About the sweats, I cheat. Another reason to bring the kids, and a stroller. I do however, take several extra-large ziplocs with me for any valuables.
Funny, I've done the plastic bag trick as well. And yes, I looked like a moron judging from the looks I received.
All in all, getting soaked at night, when it's 60 out, is still worth the ride.

Do you really get soaked up to bring extra bags, wrap yourselves in bags/ plastics whatnots?

I don't think so unless you are riding it back to back.

It'll dry out as fast as you move to your next ride/ destination.

If you are afraid of getting wet, (clothes) remove as much as article of clothing as possible. When the ride is done go wipe yourself.

If you don't want cold water, go mid afternoon.

Be practical.

Bring one of your motel shower caps and wear it to save your hair-do. Talk about getting funny looks! I saw someone else do this, then tried it myself. It works great. I also second the poncho idea. I love the bags to protect your shoes. In summer, I wear TEVA sandals so it doesn't matter. I was there last week on 12/31 and 1/1 when it was raining and used some bags to keep my camera and wallet dry in my packpack (which got soaked through).

I'd worry more about Grizzley River Run!!!! Never really got that wet on Splash! We do the poncho thing - also - ride midday so that you have the best chance of drying off before it gets dark..... have fun!

The only thing I do is tear a plastic bag (Von's or Walmart type) and hold the handles and sit on the bag part. It keeps my bottom dry, and I hold it around my hips. There is nothing worse than trying to walk around for hours in soggy panties!!

You're just sunk---no pun intended---on GRR. You could curl up in a fetal ball covered in dollar store ponchos, you're still gonna get soaked!

IMO, the amount of soaking depends on the weight in the canoe, and honey we've got weight! We generally travel as a group of 7, and that's one low-sitting canoe! To protect the valuables (namely the adults!) we generously place the children in the front, so they absorb the brunt of the tsunami.

Why suffer with soggy undies when you can always go to a bathroom and use their dryers?

:rotfl2: Now there's a sight no vacationer should see: me drying my panties in the bathroom!!! :rotfl2:

"So, little girl, what was the most memorable thing you saw at Disneyland?"
"Weelllll, I was in the bathroom, and this crazy lady was doing the funniest thing..." :rotfl2:

I've always brought the wimpy 2 for $1 ponchos in my purse and used them for the ride and then throw them out or give them to someone in line. Lawn-sized garbage bags with holes for hands and head work, too.

Then, after Splash, head over to Big Thunder Mountain and "blow dry" yourself by taking a ride on it! :teeth:

These are all great ideas. On my last trip in dec 04, we happened to be over at splas around closing. jumped on and went 3 trips without getting off, got really wet and went straight to the hotel. i think were gonna try that again this march.

ron808 said:
Why suffer with soggy undies when you can always go to a bathroom and use their dryers?

They don't have the dryers at DL! Not at least when I went looking for them!

I was told that when you sit at the back you don't get really wet! WRONG!

I was soaked! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

But I guess that was my initiation due to the fact that it was the first time I rode Splash Mountain! Not to be my last!

Bring a change of clothes just in case! I didn't but walked around wet and guess what.........I did not catch a cold! :cool1:

janet

Scratch42 said:
They don't have the dryers at DL! Not at least when I went looking for them!

I was wondering about that because I went looking for them and couldn't find any either! They probably know that if they installed them they'd have dozens of people in line at any given time in various states of undress waiting to dry their clothes! ;)

I do know if you want to get wet to try going first thing..we did that once and got soaked. My guess is that later in the day the flume is not as full and you will get less wet then first thing.

My plan is to go mid day right before we go back to the room to rest. Then I won't have a cranky wet kid or wet clothes to deal with.

AFMom said:
I'd worry more about Grizzley River Run!!!!

seriously...I always get hit from the back....you know what else worries me? there are so many times when riding SM that my shoes get soaked :scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter