best time to do laundry at WDW?

K

Kate-n-sam

We do laundry when at disney as we have 2 little ones and would have to pack 20+ outfits each if not. I usually do laundry around 8:00 when kids are in bed. My problem has been that the laundry rooms are always packed and not being the assertive type, always get cut waiting for a machine etc....

So basically my question is........What time have you found to be least crowded for throwing in a couple of loads?

We would throw in a couple loads when we got up then we would clean up go throw them in the dryer and get breakfast them after breakfast we would grab the clothes and put them away and then go off to the parks.

I did ours while we enjoyed the peace of the quiet pool in mid-afternoon. It was deserted -- as was the quiet pool. My DD came in with me while I loaded the washers. When I went to check it for changing to the dryers, she came out of the pool with me and did it. When it was done, we had gotten a good deal of swimming in and were ready to head to the room with our newly cleaned clothes.

There are just the two of us, so we can do laundry anytime. We did our laundry at 6pm one evening right after we left the park...only one other person there, I got all three loads quickly and we were off for the evening then...Let me add it was pouring rain, and we had returned to the hotel to change clothes anyway........

Disnee Dad says.................................... If you have two little ones then you must take a midday break from the parks. Our daughter is a little older so we plan only a couple of those breaks. When we planned a midday break, we have never had a problem with the laundry room. In fact my wife loves it because while on vacation I do all the laundry!! Daughter finds a friend or two at the pool, lovely wife enjoys quiet time with a book, and I take care of laundry and I enjoy a couple adult beverages between the wash and dry part!! Everyone wins!!!

I often have trouble sleeping on vacation and am up at 4 or 5am. This is a great time to do wash. I load the washers, go to snack bar and get breakfast, take a slow stroll back to laundry room while enjoying the grounds. By this time I swap clothes over to the dryers and then read or relax. By the time I am finished everyone else begins to wander in. I like to plan this for days when we are not trying to get to a park early. Added benefit the laundry room doesnt feel like a sauna yet!

YOu don't say where you are staying, and that would impact when you do laundry. We used to do it late evening when we stayed in the regular resorts, but now we have the luxury of laundry facilities in our own room at OKW. It makes a big difference in how much we pack. I usually do a load of laundry a day switching off whites and colors. Many of the WDW resorts have laundry facilities near the pools, so that is a good diversion as well. I would probably sit in the hot tub while I waited!

We were at PO Riverside at the end of August. Twice I did laundry around 4:00 PM. One day we went swimming in the quiet pool while laundry was going. The other day it was raining. The kids and Dad were watching a movie in the room. Both days there were only 2-3 others using the laundry.

A lot of families seem to do laundry mid to late afternoon.

We stayed at ASMo (obviously lots of families) and I did laundry once during naptime, about 2pm. When I went in, I had the place to myself and was able to get two washers going. (We changed twice a day, so this was 4 people x 2 outfits x 4 days). I set my watch timer for when the wash would be through and went to the pool with the kids. When I came back, the place was packed! I think I put everything into one dryer, set the watch timer again and went back to the pool.

Funny part of the story: when I came back to the dryer, it still showed lots of time left. I was perplexed, but one elderly lady said she had put more $ in my dryer. The clothes were so hot they were about to burst into flames! I thanked her for her "helpfulness" and apologized that I had left my coin purse back in the room.

One tip: everyone thought I was so clever to use our rolling suitcase to transport our clothes. If I hadn't, I would have left a trail of socks and underwear back to our room!

I'll try the mid afternoon or early AM this time. BTW, we are going to be at WL, mid-Oct. We've previously stayed at WL 3x (once at villas, so I was spoiled w/ laundry in the room) and at PO 1X. PO was the worst, there was a line out the door to do laundry.
Thanks again!

That's a great tip about the rolling suitcases. I used our stroller. It worked great. I just piled the bags of dirty laundry on the way over. On the way back to the room, I folded the clothes in the laundry room and piled them neatly on the seat and the hood.

I was staying at the Poly and used a fabric laundry bag. This time I have an inexpensive pop-up hamper which works great. It is light enough to throw over my shoulder and haul back and forth. Tried it out during a trip to the shore just to be sure.

Haven't tried it yet - but this is my laundry plan ....

On our 5th morning at WDW - staying at the Polynesian - I plan to do
laundry on a Sunday (5th day) before the 8 am Mass - maybe hit the
laundry room around 6:30 am.

Then .... on our 9th day, Thanksgiving, I plan to do laundry again
around 7 am

We would then have 2-3 days of dirty laundry for home.

Would 1 1/2 hours be enough time to do 1 round of laundry (wash/dry) ?

Laundry is in only in one section of the Polynesian.
I hope we get Tokelau or Tahiti (paid for GV) to be somewhat close.

Our suitcases do have wheels. Thanks for the suggestion.

Would my laundry plan work ?

Thanks ;)

We were at the Poly and I found the laundry room got busy around 7am on a weekday, I dont know about the weekends. If it is empty you can use all 4 washers at one time. The dryers were slow and took a long time, one kept stopping and the clothes were still wet. They were like household dryers not commercial ones but this was several years ago and I am hoping they have been replaced. Going in 2 weeks, so I could let you know.

we stayed at the dolphin. I used the rolling suitcase also. Thank goodness because it was quite a hike from our room to the laundry room. It all worked out well though. I did the laundry while my dh and ds were in for the night. By the time i got back they were sound to sleep. I actually got some peace and quiet. I was the only person doing laundry. I also used the wisk tablets and they worked fine. Don't forget dryer sheets!!

I have found the best time to do laundry is on our afternoon breaks at the pool. At Dixie, now Riverside, the laundry is in the pool area. One adult can keep an eye on the kids and the other can run in and out of the laundry while still jumping in the pool in between cycles.:pinkbounc :pinkbounc

Disnee Dad Says.............................................. The midday break never failed to find an empty laundry room. We(I) have also done early evening, get back at 7PM or so and the laundry may be 25-50% full. This is where the guys need to pitch in!!! Here is your chance to be a hero! GO DO THE LAUNDRY!! On a calm fall evening it takes two beers to wash and two beers to dry!! If you fold it nicely and put it a rolling suitcase, it takes one more beer. To be a superhero, takes the children to the pool to swim while you wash. Mom get 2 hours of quiet, and that is what her vacation is all about!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter