Best time to bring someone new

GinnetteM

Earning My Ears
So my son and I love WDW. We actually just got back from a trip a couple weeks ago. But my mother has never been and would love to go.

Mind, this woman hasn't taken a vacation in 15 years.

So the kiddo and I are trying to bring her next year, all expenses (for her) paid. We fly from Washington state, so it has to be at least a week long trip because neither of us fly well. Ouch would be an understatement. There's 2 possible times next year that I could go and she could come with. Last week of August, beginning of September or over Christmas break. I know it'll be crowded either time, but my son brought up the good point it'll be cooler and she'll enjoy that more than the heat.

I'm just looking for opinions and ideas, if anyone has one.

September - I'd rather brave triple digit temps (which are unlikely in September anyway) than Christmas crowds.

We went the beginning of Sept in 2014. The heat index did get over 100 several times. It was hot, but crowds were low. If she can't handle the heat, I'd try to find a different time. Just reading some peoples experiences over this past week at thanksgiving break is enough to scare me off bringing someone new during the holidays. I did go three years in a row over Christmas break and did tons - but it was just me and my husband and we have similar touring styles. If she has a high sense of adventure and you're a good planner, then there's a chance you could make Christmas break work.

It was above 90 every day this last trip. The thing is she hates heat. Plus, our Aug/Sep trip would be - at the latest- the first weekend of September because school starts right after Labor Day.

How bad are the crowds that time of year? I figure if we have enough sit down meals in a/c planned and cooling towels handy, she'll be okay with the heat.

And has anyone rented DVC points before? I want to stay on-site but I'm not sure if I want to do a regular resort or try DVC point rental.

I would do August/September. Yes, it's hot, but the crowds are definitely manageable. We've gone the last week of August for the past 4 years and our strategy is to hit the parks in the morning and tour until about 1 pm, have lunch and then leave the park. We then go to the pool and relax for a few hours, change, and head back out as the sun starts going down. The evenings are very pleasant. I can't imagine braving Christmas crowds with a newbie.

Since you are in Washington, have you thought about going to DLR instead?

She's done DLR before, but never WDW. She hasn't been since California Adventure opened but she's more likely to take a short vacation there in the future than she ever is to do WDW unless I drag her.

She'll have fun but wouldn't plan it for herself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter