Best time frame for Killamanjaro Safari in morning?

Destinyz12

Mouseketeer
For those that have ridden it, up to what time in the morning are most of the animals generally still active? We can't make our FP's yet but it will be good to have an idea especially not knowing when (or if) we can even get FOP FP's and most likely rope dropping at least one of the pandora rides. Chances are we won't have time to do KS at dusk due to having TH dinner and ROL package.

It doesn't matter what time.

(No, I'm not kidding.)

Having ridden literally dozens and of times, at all times of day, year after year,
each ride can be different, with different combinations of animals being more
and less prominent,
and those animals behaving in different ways based on temperature, weather
conditions, feeding eccentricities, and biometric patterns of the species..

I've heard that they are much more inactive in the afternoon there (which makes sense since its much hotter and a lot of animals generally sleep then)

I've heard that they are much more inactive in the afternoon there (which makes sense since its much hotter and a lot of animals generally sleep then)

You can hear a lot of things about this attraction.

Just pick a time to ride that suits your needs.
You can't go wrong.

While this may be correct in nature it's not correct at Disney. That's to Keeper Magic
The keepers bait the feeders located throughout the attraction to "stimulate" the animals to move around. If you've ever noticed any truck on the attraction you'll often notice the animals follow it around, they have learned what the trucks are often there for (sometimes it's clean up though, not feeding)
They do this throughout the day, not at one time.
Though they still don't force them to get up and eat, if they don't want to.
So we're still talking about wild animals who do what they want, when they want, and for how long they want. That's why it doesn't matter when you take the safari and there is no Best Time.
You never know when you'll encounter an animal who decides he/she is ready to move, eat, play, etc. They do it when they want to do it.

Plus, with the added hours of the evening safari, they now rotate animals on the attraction. What they told us was they used to let them all out for the entire day but now they don't. They have "on stage shifts" for lack of better words. They'll use their calls to bring them in and out at different times, sometimes single animals, sometimes group/herds. So that's another level of movement you can't time/plan or base on weather, etc.

You never know when you'll encounter an animal who decides he/she is ready to move, eat, play, etc. They do it when they want to do it.
And, another outgrowth of this is that it would make a lot of sense to ride the attraction more than once within the same day.

More rides... more animals.

I agree, Best times to ride Killamanjaro would be mornings because the animals are more active and being fed till about noon time feeding; usually they go into hiding after that to rest or find shade. It also depends on the animals mood really. [ they have feelings too :) ] If you really want to get that 1-o-1 feeling i recommend the Wild Africa Safari Trek. It's absolutely worth the experience!!

And, another outgrowth of this is that it would make a lot of sense to ride the attraction more than once within the same day.

More rides... more animals.
Yep, the Safari is one ride we do every trip and more than once. It's also the only ride at Disney that is never the same twice. Most everything else is pretty much the same each time (other than a few shows) which is fine but often, once and we are good for the entire trip

There is no "best" time to ride it. Just like Robo and AngiTn said, it's wild animals. They do what they want, when they want. WDW tries to keep them active, but there's no way anyone could say "You'll see more in the morning" or "You'll see nothing at dusk". Purely random.

We've gone at all different times of the morning and they all seem about the same.

Dan

We rode it seems like 3 times on Saturday morning, probably 2x between 8-10am, and then once after that in the late morning, we had various animal movements throughout the morning, they always seemed to be more mobile during their feeding time, which was different for each animal...we took it 6 times during our trip, and it was only the last time we were on it we FINALLY saw the lions.....

I would just ride it whenever there is a wait time that you are willing to wait for....its so great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter