Best Table for Dining

JOY K

Earning My Ears
I always thought for some reason that the table numbers were placed so if you had an obstructed view for whatever show or entertainment might take place in one resteraunt, that they made sure that your table had a great view in another resteraunt. I don't know why I thought that, but it isn't accurate. Our first DCL cruise on the Dream was the best thing I have ever done in my life, and all the meals were delicious, but none of our tables were what I would discribe as "good tables" they were all far away from the action of obstructed views.
I am wondering is it just luck of the draw, or do the best tables go to concierge, large groups, a certain Castaway Club level or what. I know ypu can request a certain resteraunt on a given night or a specific rotational order, but can you request a table location? I really don't care about sitting with other guests. If they are friendly we will make new friends and if not, we will chat with each other and eat our dinner and they can do the same.

They now have a table request section, can access through the website (haven't seen it on the app yet just the website), 'already booked', 'special requests', 'table requests'. Options include: by a window, near a screen for entertainment, near the center of the dining room, in a quieter location, and at a private table.

They do try to give the "best tables" to Concierge guests. Our waiters have often mentioned that we were given a preferred table position on the first night. I don't think they consider anything else, like CC status, outside of group size.

That being said, someone's best table is someone else's least desirable. When sailing Concierge on Fantasy/Dream, we were assigned the teacups on our first two cruises. The second time, we checked with the Maitre D' when we boarded to make sure we didn't have that type of table and requested to be moved when we learned we did. We made sure to ask for anything but the teacups in our request email to Shoreside after that.

They now have a table request section, can access through the website (haven't seen it on the app yet just the website), 'already booked', 'special requests', 'table requests'. Options include: by a window, near a screen for entertainment, near the center of the dining room, in a quieter location, and at a private table.
I had no idea about this. I'm going to have to check it out. Thanks for the info.

I enjoy eating dinner in peace and would rather not be near all the action. We definitely try to avoid Crush at all costs. :teeth:

I've been on over 20 DCL cruises and never get a good table. It is always on the perimeter and not near a window.

We did one concierge cruise and were also put in a teacup in Enchanted Garden. They were awfully small. The other tables were good. But that was the only time.

This thread got me thinking. We've never booked Concierge...always Oceanview when the kids were young and Verandah afterwards. Each time we dined at the Enchanted Garden, we always had the tea cups...we liked it, but were fine if we didn't get it. We were also assigned the "centre of the action" tables for most of the restaurants except AP but we always had great views of the screens.

However, the first time my husband and I went on the cruise with just the two of us was this past Sept and we had what would be considered the worst table. We were fine because it was quieter. Perhaps they thought we wanted a quiet table for 2, but we were surrounded by families with children, so that couldn't be the reason. We did request our favourite server, but she wasn't on the ship.

I suspect concierge does receive some preference-on our recent trip on the Wish, we had a private 4 top (for 2), in 1923 we were next to the window so observed the lovely sunset and in Arendelle 3 tables away from the stage and next to the walkway so were able to chat with Elsa and Stefan when they walked through. On the Dream we've had the teacups as well...the Magic was too long ago but my parents were happy so I'm guessing we were well located:rolleyes: I hadn't actually thought about the placement of the tables until this cruise but some of the tables in 1923 are reallly close together so we appreciated the window placement (I could've lived without awkward conversations with characters though).

What are these teacups tables?! I've been on the Dream (and am going again in December), and don't remember. Anyone can post a pic?

What are these teacups tables?! I've been on the Dream (and am going again in December), and don't remember. Anyone can post a pic?
Yeah, they're not there any more, but here's a picture
tea cup booth dream 2014 1752 P1020861 500.jpg
dream 2019 enchanted garden A6F53DDE-DED2-49C0-A19C-6D34AA1005BE.jpeg

Not my favorite table, too small if there are more than 3 of you. Difficult to get in and out of, watch out for the step up and the corner at the bottom edge (it sticks out a bit).

Last edited:
I once asked my server is there a map of all of the table numbers and their locations. He said, "No. Each cruise the table numbers and configurations change. You may have the same exact table 2 cruises in a row and the table numbers are totally different." I thought that interesting.

I once asked my server is there a map of all of the table numbers and their locations. He said, "No. Each cruise the table numbers and configurations change. You may have the same exact table 2 cruises in a row and the table numbers are totally different." I thought that interesting.
Agreed, the numbers are not always assigned to a given table. (My last cruise I had 3 different tables in the same MDR. Always in the same vicinity, but slightly different.)

I assumed that was to prevent people from requesting certain table numbers.

Although, I think it takes the servers a bit of time to remember the first time they take you to the table. We had one CM take us clear across the whole dining room before finding it...he was very apologetic, but it really wasn't a big deal and it was just lunch.

In my experience over several cruises the table numbers were nothing more than a way to identify your table at the different MDR's. The tables we were at in each of the MDR's on a specific cruise were never a similar place. This was before DCL allowed online requests such as in a quiet place, near the stage or near a window. Personally our first priority is to have a table to ourselves so where the table is placed is secondary for us.

That's interesting. When on the Wish last week the person seating us in 1923 on embarkation day had to search a bit before finally locating the right table. At the time I thought it was somebody new who didn't know the layout. Apparently, its just the way they do things.

I think view is subjective to everyone's opinion. I had concierge on wonder and was definitely away from the live show at Tiana's. I had a window view at Triton's. Animator's not close to a video screen, had to view at an angle.

On the wish, at Arendelle not close to the stage. But sat at an aisle where the characters will go through and chat. Marvel had own table with a video screen.

I think main perks of concierge is the private table.

In terms of getting a good view at a restaurant it's gonna be hard to match criteria. The drop down menu on website only gives you one option as a priority.

I even requested ahead of time to get good views of stage with Tiana's and Arendelle and definitely did not get it. The host was trying to tell me for Arendelle I got the best of both being on an aisle to talk to characters and to see the show. But the show was blocked with the waiters so that didn't matter.

I think if you can give them specific number tables that might help, but probably those numbers might change for each cruise.

It will just be me and my teenage son this go around. We don't really care one way or the other about being seated with other people especially if they are also traveling with a teen or even a friendly couple. It would be uncomfortable if they seat us with a big family, but I have heard they try not to do that. My main objective is to be able to see the show in Arendale and Marvel without major obstructions. If we meet some nice people then that is a bonus. If not, we can just keep to ourselves.

I just did a b2b on the Wonder, had table 14 both times but was in a different position in the restaurant (same servers) for the second cruise. My table was much better for Tirana’s the second time around!

I have had a mixed bag of table locations. I have also had a cruise where it was a great table location in one restaurant and not great in another due to the table numbers. My example is at Rapunzel's Royal Table we had a great table close to the stage and action, then the same cruise we were basically at the servers entrance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter