Best Stroller Scenerio for 3 kids...help?

letsgoagainsoon

North Central PA
Ok, so next trip our twins will be 1.5 and DS will be 5. DS is very small for his age and will definitely need a stroller most of the time.

These are my scenerios:

1) taking 2 strollers...a double for the twins and a single for him, but hate the thoughts of dragging 2 strollers and 3 kids plus gear on the busses
2) renting a dble, but I see that they changed them and I'm not sure all 3 kiddos would fit or be comfy in the new ones, plus if the twins fall asleep, we have the walk back to the busses and then back to our rooms carrying them..., also it would cost us about $200 to rent one
3) i have seen those BIG joovy strollers, the one with 2 seats and the back seat for an older kid, but as I said they are big (and expensive for only using a few times), but I like the fact of just having to bring one stroller and the seat on the back seems perfect for DS

Any suggestions or am I way overthinking this?

While spendy I would look into a Valco twin with toddler jump seat. We will eventually be in one once we have our 3rd child. DS #1 will be in a stroller longer than his peers for long days and the ability to have it go from a double to a triple is a great option. It's only one stroller to haul everywhere, fits thru standard doorways, very comfy, big air tires for an easy push and you could always re-sale it once you were home or just continue to use it as a double. It's nice not to have to look after 2 strollers, we've done it and it's not horrible but it's not easy either with small non-walking children.

I would definitely bring a double for the 1.5 year olds. You will want a stroller outside the parks for them (and the airport?), and the rented strollers stay inside the parks.

For the 5 yo, I would look into renting from a non-Disney source. It is less expensive than Disney, you don't have to haul it to Orlando, and you have it outside the parks. The only downside is that you will have to haul it on/off buses. I would either do that or rent from Disney.

Have you seen this company? http://www.orlandostrollerrentals.com/
There was a thread by someone who rented a double and loved the service, the stroller, etc., but now I can't find it!

While spendy I would look into a Valco twin with toddler jump seat. We will eventually be in one once we have our 3rd child. DS #1 will be in a stroller longer than his peers for long days and the ability to have it go from a double to a triple is a great option. It's only one stroller to haul everywhere, fits thru standard doorways, very comfy, big air tires for an easy push and you could always re-sale it once you were home or just continue to use it as a double. It's nice not to have to look after 2 strollers, we've done it and it's not horrible but it's not easy either with small non-walking children.

This looks like a very cool stroller and a great idea, but we have the Baby Jogger City Double, so I doubt DH would let me invest in another pricey stroller. Too bad BJ didn't have something like this...it's exactly what we need.

i would get a double umbrella like the Graco IPO Twin and then a additional umbrella that can hold a 5yo. They both fold small so they are easy to carry and you will be able to get them on and off the buses NO problem! There may even be times when you won't need the extra stroller.

My other suggestion would be the double with the standing spot on the back. Either a stroller that is this style or a nice double you like with a board on the back(they make these attachments). You might even be able to add one to your jogger!

Good Luck!

Jackie

The first time we went to WDW, my twins had just turned two and my oldest was 4. We used the twins double stroller and an umbrella stroller for my oldest. Transportation was hard with all the stuff, but doable. My DH and I used backpacks for our gear so our hands were free, he would carry both strollers onto the transportation. I would carry one twin in each arm, and my four year old would hold on to one of our pinkies. We stayed off site, so our transportation issues were with the trams and the monorail. I am not sure where you are staying, and if it is available or not, but boat transportation was the easiest for us since we didn't need to take the kids out of the strollers. I personally think that WDW is too expensive to add the cost of a new stroller or renting a stroller to the cost.

Three kids = two strollers. The younger two in a double and the oldest in a single. For the sake of your backs/legs/arms, use strollers that are a bit bigger than an umbrella stroller. Umbrellas are great for the smooth floors of a mall but will be a bear to use over long distances outside (at least that's my experience).

Lugging the double on the flight / bus, etc. is a pain but considering that you'll have it for when you really NEED it, which is all day in the parks, the few minutes of headache when dealing with public transportation make it worthwhile.

For our last trip, we brought our beast of a double (Tike Tech Trax 360 double) and our big single (Baby Jogger City Elite) and it was WONDERFUL to have them in the parks. The kids were comfy which means they were happy which means we all had a great time. :goodvibes

However, this year we're planning on renting the BJ City Mini double from Orlando Stroller rentals for our 2 and 3 year olds and bringing our BJ City Elite single for our oldest. While it still costs money to rent for the week, this is a much better option than renting from Disney (strollers are much nicer and you have it for your entire trip, not just in the parks).

I personally think trying to fit all 3 kids into one stroller makes for too much weight to push around, even when the kids are smaller. I'd rather break up the work load by putting both parents to work. :lmao:

I think you have convinced me to take 2 strollers, our Baby Jogger dble for the twins and my Mac volo for DS. As a PP said, it will be worth the hassle of a few minutes on transportaion to be comfortable all day at the parks.

Thanks!

how old is your double city ? BJ does make a jump seat. I have one. it just came out last year. If yours has the accessory mounting bracket the jump seat will work - it came out Aug 08.

I would definitely bring a double for the 1.5 year olds. You will want a stroller outside the parks for them (and the airport?), and the rented strollers stay inside the parks.

For the 5 yo, I would look into renting from a non-Disney source. It is less expensive than Disney, you don't have to haul it to Orlando, and you have it outside the parks. The only downside is that you will have to haul it on/off buses. I would either do that or rent from Disney.

Have you seen this company? http://www.orlandostrollerrentals.com/
There was a thread by someone who rented a double and loved the service, the stroller, etc., but now I can't find it!

This is great advice. We're sort of doing this- our kids will be 6, 4 and 3 when we go. We plan on bringing our single Maclaren Quest from home, and renting a double from the above company. I have heard excellent things about them. We thought about just renting a double from Disney but not only are they crazy expensive, but we also wanted a stroller that we could have with us after we left the parks. I'm sure we'll do at least one late night while we're there and we will definately want strollers for all 3 for the walk back to the car and also for some strolls around the resort!

Have fun!

I think you have convinced me to take 2 strollers, our Baby Jogger dble for the twins and my Mac volo for DS. As a PP said, it will be worth the hassle of a few minutes on transportaion to be comfortable all day at the parks.

Thanks!

I think this is the perfect solution and is exactly what I would do. The baies really need a good double stroller and the volo will be easy to use and transport for your 5 year old. Getting to Disney on the airplane will be a pain and getting on and off the bus will be hard as well but honestly, you have 3 kids so no matter what your solution is, getting through the airport and on and off the bus will be a pain!

Another option is to look at the Budget Board section of Disboards.com and look into a stroller swap while at Disney. You can rent a double stroller for your entire trip for $20 or less. Some are free. Bring the Volo with you on the plane. This will allow you to put a napping child in the stroller at the airport. Once at Disney pick up the double stroller for use. Another factor to consider, the airlines are not responsible for lost or damaged strollers & car seats under their carriage rules. Personally, I am choosing to participate in a stroller swap, instead of risking the loss or damage of my $600 Double BOB Stroller & the hassle of carrying 2 car seats, diaper bags, & misc. items through the airport.

how old is your double city ? BJ does make a jump seat. I have one. it just came out last year. If yours has the accessory mounting bracket the jump seat will work - it came out Aug 08.
I actually checked into this after the PP mentioned the other jogger that has one of these, so I contacted BJ, unfortunately I have the city mini dbl and they tell me that the jumpseat is only compatible with the classic/elite single. Too bad. :sad1:

Also, we will be driving, not flying, so we won't have to deal with the strollers on the plane, just on Disney transportation.

I have 10 mo twins and a 5 yo daughter. We took two strollers when we went back in October-- and the twins were only 5 months old then.

We brought a combi twin and a combi single-- both were light weight and had carrying straps.

For our next trip in November, we'll bring two strollers again. The twins will be 1.5 years old and my daughter will be 6. I just bought my daughter a MacLaren Volo-- she's grown out of the combi and we'll take the double combi stroller for the twins.

Carrying straps and light weight are high on my list for three kids, two adults and Disney buses.

I think the OP will do fine with her decision of the double Baby Jogger and the Volo. We too have the city mini double, but it just seems too bulky to bring on the bus. That and I don't think I can convince my DH to carry it!

On our trip this past December, we brought two strollers for our three kids - DS (turned 3 on the trip), and twin DDs (13 months at the time). We had a Chicco Trevi single for DS and a Chicco Trevi Twin for the girls. Yes, it was a pain on the plane and getting on and off the Disney buses, but to have the kids comfortable in the parks and in familiar strollers, it was soooo worth it.

Have a great trip!

Another option is to look at the Budget Board section of Disboards.com and look into a stroller swap while at Disney. You can rent a double stroller for your entire trip for $20 or less. Some are free. Bring the Volo with you on the plane. This will allow you to put a napping child in the stroller at the airport. Once at Disney pick up the double stroller for use. Another factor to consider, the airlines are not responsible for lost or damaged strollers & car seats under their carriage rules. Personally, I am choosing to participate in a stroller swap, instead of risking the loss or damage of my $600 Double BOB Stroller & the hassle of carrying 2 car seats, diaper bags, & misc. items through the airport.

This was going to be my suggestion. We chose to participate in a swap. We are getting a double even with 1 child because it is only $10 for our whole trip. We'll just use the other side for the camera bag. This will save DH (our packmule's back for rides only).

There are a few single swaps on the budget boards. I am guessing your 5yo wouldn't need a stroller in the airport, so bring one stroller from home and swap one from the boards to save the trouble in the airport.

Also, we will be driving, not flying, so we won't have to deal with the strollers on the plane, just on Disney transportation.

If it becomes a BIG hassle on the buses you can always drive to the parks sicne you have your vehicle there!

Jackie

If it becomes a BIG hassle on the buses you can always drive to the parks sicne you have your vehicle there!

Jackie

Agreed. We have 3 year old triplets and took a Mac double and single with us last fall. Dealing with both strollers on the buses, especially if it was at a time when the kids were sleepy, was a pain in the tush.

I agree with the idea of two strollers or getting a board for your BJ. I have both the BJ and the Valco and I would sell the Valco in a second if BJ had that third seat.

The other option is a carrier for one of your twins and the BJ. Until this past summer (when mine were 2.5) that's what I did on a daily basis. A comfortable carrier and you don't notice it and if one of them is more introverted it will help. My youngest is uber-shy and even now I'll pop her onto my back for 10-15 minutes and she is fine.

I am confused by everyone’s suggestions on two strollers. Where is the second person to push a second stroller coming from?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter