• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best shoes for Disney World rain?

GatorChris

Not of This World
Heading to WDW in July. First summer trip since 2002, and I remember it raining like crazy every day. I've done 7 more WDW trips since then, all in the winter. Never saw a drop of rain in those many days and weeks. We even did USO in October last year and didn't see any rain. But I fully expect it every day when we get there next month.

What shoes do you suggest? With ponchos, the shoes will get wet for sure. I remember walking in these leather sandals that had a cushion that would squish for hours. I'm thinking that my New Balance runners or trainers will let the water in but not out. I was looking at some Skechers that are sandals that strap across, not the toe-strap sandals. But...what would you suggest? Would love to hear what has been successful for you when dealing with the infernal Florida downpours.

I have a couple pair of Keen sandals I wear, both of them waterproof. Super comfy and they last for years! I'm pretty sure the one pair I have are about 12 years old I think.

I also wear Keen sandals. One thing I like about them compared to say, original Teva sandals, is that they have some toe protection. Given the amount of wheeled and foot traffic in the parks, this is important to me. Also, I wear a pair of Crocs to do yardwork at home. The foot bed gets SO SLIPPERY when wet, so I would hesitate to wear them in the rainy season at WDW.

This is the model I have: Keen Whisper

I've worn both chacos and tevas to the parks and while i prefer the toe strap, either one without is a winner to me. It depends on how they feel on your feet, but i would pick a rugged walking or a hiking sandal. Nice thing is they dry quickly. As long as you have them fitted, you shouldnt slip.

I wear Keen hiking sandals. Something like the Newports. Boyfriend wears Tevas. Both work well for wet days in the parks. But I do have to kind of prepare my feet for all day long in sandals prior to wearing them in the parks.

Not really fashionable but last time I was there in April I wore crocs with the strap around the back of my foot. We were in a torrential downpour one day and I was so happy to not have wet tennis shoes which is my other park footwear choice

Keen or Merrill hiking sandals (closed toe), Clark cloudsteppers (sling back or flip flop style)...all wear beautifully when they are wet. You really can't go wrong with any of these three brands. Supportive and comfortable for lots of walking and grippy for wet pavement.

I will begin by saying that I was fortunate enough not to experience any rain on my recent trip. But I bought a pair of Crocs tennis shoes in anticipation of precipitation. The tongue and laces are the only parts of the shoes that are fabric, the rest is rubber. I intended to just take my socks off and keep them in my bag in the chance of rain.

Since I didn't experience them in the rain, all I can say is that it was like walking on an actual cloud. I was astounded by how comfortable I found them. I ended up wearing them every day of my trip just because I loved them so much.

I go along with hiking sandals. I wear Keens. If I know I'm heading to the parks with probable heavy rain I don't want to be wearing socks. Once the ground is soaked and there's puddles everywhere, sandals are the way to go.

Keens! I have a pair of Keen Rose that I swear by. Wore them in June ‘16 and June ‘18 and had zero issues. Super comfy, no foot issues, and they dried quickly in the daily June rain. Decided to try open toed Tevas 2 weeks ago - never again!! Horrible blisters and was so painful to walk after day 2. Going back to my Keens next June!!

I will begin by saying that I was fortunate enough not to experience any rain on my recent trip. But I bought a pair of Crocs tennis shoes in anticipation of precipitation. The tongue and laces are the only parts of the shoes that are fabric, the rest is rubber. I intended to just take my socks off and keep them in my bag in the chance of rain.

Since I didn't experience them in the rain, all I can say is that it was like walking on an actual cloud. I was astounded by how comfortable I found them. I ended up wearing them every day of my trip just because I loved them so much.
Crocs...I love em! But as soon as they get wet your foot slides on the inside, meaning you are taking tiny mincing steps till it is over and there are no puddles etc. I have the Minnie Mouse ones and ones that look like flat dress shoes. I love them and plan to switch to sneakers when it rains and back to crocs when it is sunny. Be careful. I slid right out of my crocs more than once. Ow!

Let me add to the votes for Keens! I have 3 colors of Keen Whispers (and want to get a 4th) if that tells you anything!

I love my Chacos for getting wet. I also have Keem water shoes that have a closed toe like another poster mentioned, but they are neoprene(ish) material and take a tad longer to dry than my Chacos (and probably a strappier Keen), but still much better than a sneaker.

i also adore my Crocs and I literally always have on a pair in my house—but I never wear them in public LOL However, I’ve noticed that some colors are much slicker than others (obviously something with that dye color and the plasticizer). My slick ones are crazy slick when wet, but the more matte colors aren’t like that. So I’d say if you think you might like Crocs, just look for a less slick/shiny color.

We bring Keens and sneakers to alternate days. My husband refuses to wear sandals and so he always brings two pairs of sneakers. We’re at Disney this week and have hit periods of heavy rain each day. I did have to throw shoes in the dryer this morning because both pairs of shoes were wet.

I didn’t read all of the replies, but I wear keens when we go in summer and it’s likely to rain. Then I’m comfortable but don’t have to worry about getting sneakers and socks wet and can just relax and try to keep the top half of me dry haha. I love them, and actually like how they look as well! They have a few different styles, I have 2 styles and 3 colors.

ETA I guess I have Whisper, Newport, and Rose - 2 colors of whisper and one each of the other. I love them all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter