Best SAP resort?

Just examples if you travel next summer:

BLT Std vs Lake = 11% savings
BWV Std vs Pref = 21% savings
VGF Std vs Lake = 20% savings

So your SAP math just went out the window when I buy where I want to stay and book a room 10-20% less.
What if I don’t end up booking before 7 months anyway? We own at DRR for example but never book early enough to get into it.

Then I wouldn't really buy DVC to start with and just do rentals from here or Facebook, or the rental store that are confirmed.
No thanks, not interested in renting. The point is if you’re not the kind of person who books early, it doesn’t matter what points you buy. We book early sometimes but inevitably end up changing the reservation. Our kids always require a schedule change or something comes up with work and we have to push it up a week or back a week or whenever. We’ve stayed at every resort at this point (except aulani), but it’s always a free for all where we will end up. We are fine with this. Our kids actually love SSR lol. I think when you have kids, especially as they get older, booking at 11 months out and actually keeping the reservation becomes more rare. Our SSR points are our favorite. We did buy them before restrictions, so that might make a difference. But my only recommendation would be to think about if you want direct so that you can use the points everywhere. I personally wouldn’t be too concerned about that, but that’s easy for me to say.

To everyone who prioritizes the "buy where you want to stay" piece, I'd love to better understand your "why". I have points where I need the 11-month booking window (though I have yet to stay there, I do have a number of upcoming reservations) but since my potential VGF SAP points (I probably need to decide today/tomorrow to leverage my Chase no plan fee benefit by the 30th) would be primarily used at resorts that always have studio availability, even week of, how is it a bad thing? I'm FL based so can plan trips around availability and if ever I really could not find a room even at SSR or OKW (has that ever even happened?), I could bank points or rent them out, or just suck it up and use them at VGF with their point chart. I actually DO love the resort, just not their point chart, hence the SAP.

As a relatively new member, what am I missing in the "buy where you want to stay"? Is it more down the line as resorts are taken out of the system?

if ever I really could not find a room even at SSR or OKW (has that ever even happened?),
Yes, those resorts frequently sell out in the fall and at other busy times. There are no rooms of any size available right now at WDW for all of the first full week of December, for example.

If one is looking for 1 bedrooms I think the advice can be “buy where you wouldn’t mind being stuck occasionally”.

If one is looking for studios I think “buy where you are OK staying with some frequency” is sage advice.

If one mostly wants to travel between 9/15 and 1/10, id suggest regardless of room type, “buy where you want to stay” is basically a must (and I’d suggest DVC may not be right for these people if they would like to sample different resorts)

But if one has tremendous flexibility, then I think it’s ok to buy whatever works for you and be opportunistic.

Why is Disney's Riviera Resort acronym interchangeably RR or DRR, whereas Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort always SSR (never DSSR)?

Ah, that makes sense.

Interestingly enough, I often say "Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort" when I'm talking about it, even though I write the acronym SSR, because a lot of people around here (including us) might frequent resorts or hotels in Saratoga Springs, NY. Prevents confusion.

I hate to skip 5 pages of good info, but what differences does a 50-point contract vs a 150-point contract make for SAP choice? (only matters if direct?)

I hate to skip 5 pages of good info, but what differences does a 50-point contract vs a 150-point contract make for SAP choice? (only matters if direct?)
More points can make a difference at 7 months too, maybe just not as pronounced as 11 month home resort.

For example:

Say I’m trying to book Jan 28 - Feb 2. Looking right now that is just beyond 7 months and there’s a nice selection of options. With 150 points I could book Jan 26 - Feb 2, then just cancel day 1 and 2 once inside the 7 month window. 50 points would have a much harder time with that type of strategy.

To everyone who prioritizes the "buy where you want to stay" piece, I'd love to better understand your "why".

Why would I spend $30k vs $35k upfront covering a 30-40-50 year term and be left to "left overs" from others? Especially when the total cost is going to be higher when taking into account the MFs, flights, food, tickets, and all the other expenses. Long term that $5k or $3k or whatever it is will not amount to a huge difference for getting the benefit of a better location next to the parks.

Why would I buy where I want to stay when the total cost different long term is going to be negligible

I'm FL based so can plan trips around availability and if ever I really could not find a room even at SSR or OKW (has that ever even happened?), I could bank points or rent them out, or just suck it up and use them at VGF with their point chart.

Wouldn't own DVC if I lived in Florida likely so you are in the roughly 5% of the membership group who is a short drive away from WDW and fall in to a completely different group of decision making processes.

As a relatively new member, what am I missing in the "buy where you want to stay"? Is it more down the line as resorts are taken out of the system?

You are fine staying SSR which to me is similar to staying at Disney Spring hotels like the Hilton or instead of Swan/Dolphin? Great sounds like it fits perfectly for you but I wouldn't really want to stay at SSR except on a one off trip simply to have tried it for a couple days of a longer trip (even then doubt I do it except for 1-2 nights adding on last minute to a trip).

If you are doing SAP its about the math. So you just have to see what 50 point contracts are even out there and at what price. With resale there will be less small contracts and they normally go at a premium price.

To everyone who prioritizes the "buy where you want to stay" piece, I'd love to better understand your "why". <snip>
I'm FL based so can plan trips around availability and if ever I really could not find a room even at SSR or OKW (has that ever even happened?), I could bank points or rent them out, or just suck it up and use them at VGF with their point chart. I actually DO love the resort, just not their point chart, hence the SAP.

To me it's shorthand for "buy where you want to stay if the type of unit where you want to stay is unavailable at 7 months out" Some resorts will be totally sold out at 7 months (maybe BWV, BCV). Others may be sold out of the cheapest studios (e.g., AUL, AKV). Others may only have 1BRs and 2BRs available at 7 months (or just 1BRs) and no studios at all.

So the "buy where you want to go" it's really subjective. We tend to be more copacetic with studios when they sleep 5 (BCV, BRV, BWV, PVB, VGF, RIV) than when they sleep 4. And it does save about 50% over the 1BR units so those are usually gone at most relevant places at 7 months out. So, for us, that was a good enough reason to buy VGF direct at current prices to guarantee that option for ~7 nights each year. We're ok with booking the less economical stays in 1BRs at BLT and AKV, and, while we do own there, that's probably not necessary (albeit booking early can still save a few points with Standard/Value vs. better views).

No thanks, not interested in renting.

Thats fine but under 7 months as a normal booking window I wouldn't be looking at a DVC purchase. So I was answering the question regarding that piece.

It has worked for you but someone new to that needs to understand the real limitations they will run in to with it and its not getting the cheapest room at the resort, its not getting BWV Boardwalk View Studios, ect.

Thats my view though and others go about it very differently and only book last minute and have success with what they specifically want/need.

More points can make a difference at 7 months too, maybe just not as pronounced as 11 month home resort.

For example:

Say I’m trying to book Jan 28 - Feb 2. Looking right now that is just beyond 7 months and there’s a nice selection of options. With 150 points I could book Jan 26 - Feb 2, then just cancel day 1 and 2 once inside the 7 month window. 50 points would have a much harder time with that type of strategy.
Yes to Genie+. More points means more flexibility when trying to grab a room at 7 months. We seem to be stalking a lot and sometimes find 2 nights at one resort and 3 nights at another resort when we need 4 (for example). We will book both and see if the other nights open at either resort. If you don’t have “extra” points, you have to just choice one horse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter