Best San Diego hotel area for families

StarSeven7

DIS Veteran
We're looking to spend 2-3 nights in San Diego in March. I'm trying to decide which area is the best area to stay in for families. We plan to visit the zoo one day, the other day I'm not sure what exactly we'd like to see (still researching) but we'd like to view some sights in San Diego. Any suggestions on which area is best for a hotel? We like to be walking distance from sights if possible but also a safe area with kids along. Thanks!

If it was summer time, I would say the Bahia resort hotel on Mission Bay and a very short walk to Mission Beach. I grew up going there in the summer as a kid and it was amazing. Lots of wildlife (peacocks that will come up to your balcony), a great beach area on Mission Bay, and even a paddle wheel boat that offers dinner cruises. It’s about a five minute walk to the Roller coaster on Mission Beach.

If it was summer time, I would say the Bahia resort hotel on Mission Bay and a very short walk to Mission Beach. I grew up going there in the summer as a kid and it was amazing. Lots of wildlife (peacocks that will come up to your balcony), a great beach area on Mission Bay, and even a paddle wheel boat that offers dinner cruises. It’s about a five minute walk to the Roller coaster on Mission Beach.
Would you still recommend this area for March? I know it won't really be beach weather.

Would you still recommend this area for March? I know it won't really be beach weather.
I would still recommend it even though you won’t be able to take advantage of the beach. Your room will either be on the bay or a garden room which is still really nice and you get the awesome views of the landscaped garden and wildlife. It is a great location as your still not that far from downtown and the zoo area.

I would still recommend it even though you won’t be able to take advantage of the beach. Your room will either be on the bay or a garden room which is still really nice and you get the awesome views of the landscaped garden and wildlife. It is a great location as your still not that far from downtown and the zoo area.
Ok thank you!

I would recommend the area near the marina, adjacent to the Gaslamp quarter, or Coronado (the Loews is nice). I like the Marriott Marquis and Manchester Grand Hyatt. There is a lot that is walkable from those, including a Childrens Museum across the street. If you are looking for something a bit cheaper, there is a Residence Inn across from the USS Midway Museum (which I absolutely recommend).

Personally, we stayed at the Bahia in Missin Bay once and never again. That place may have been a jewel in the 70s, but it's a run down piece of garbage place nowadays.

I would recommend the area near the marina, adjacent to the Gaslamp quarter, or Coronado (the Loews is nice). I like the Marriott Marquis and Manchester Grand Hyatt. There is a lot that is walkable from those, including a Childrens Museum across the street. If you are looking for something a bit cheaper, there is a Residence Inn across from the USS Midway Museum (which I absolutely recommend).

Personally, we stayed at the Bahia in Missin Bay once and never again. That place may have been a jewel in the 70s, but it's a run down piece of garbage place nowadays.
Thanks for the input! Definitely looking for something more budget but it's good to know which area to search in!

Granted the rooms are definitely not 5 star quality but the places you mentioned are a dime a dozen for us. Those are in every major city. I think if you have family with young kids, they will absolutely enjoy the Bahia. Now if it’s just adults, then yes I would stick with the Gaslamp district or Coronado. Agree, you can’t go wrong with most Loews resorts as well.

Granted the rooms are definitely not 5 star quality but the places you mentioned are a dime a dozen for us. Those are in every major city. I think if you have family with young kids, they will absolutely enjoy the Bahia. Now if it’s just adults, then yes I would stick with the Gaslamp district or Coronado. Agree, you can’t go wrong with most Loews resorts as well.

My kids love places like Residence Inn. It's not about the hotel so much when you are visiting a place with so many activities to keep you busy all day. The Residence Inn is perfect for families because you can give kids their own room so everyone sleeps better plus a kitchen where you can prepare snacks or small meals for the kids, if necessary. Plus, free breakfast every morning is nice.

That particular one has some really nice bay views and a cool rooftop pool.

I can't help you with good ones but avoid the La Quinta by Wyndham San Diego Mission Bay! Very dirty, difficult parking lot, staff were not very friendly either. About the only positive was it was very close to In-n-out Burger... but I still wouldn't stay here again.

You must visit Loews Coronado Resort… you can take a ferry boat over from the Train Station near the Pier.

Last edited:
My kids love places like Residence Inn. It's not about the hotel so much when you are visiting a place with so many activities to keep you busy all day. The Residence Inn is perfect for families because you can give kids their own room so everyone sleeps better plus a kitchen where you can prepare snacks or small meals for the kids, if necessary. Plus, free breakfast every morning is nice.

That particular one has some really nice bay views and a cool rooftop pool.
Bookmarking this , Thanks !

You must stay/ visit Loews Coronado Resort … $$$$$$…just keep adding $$$… you can take a ferry boat over from the Train Station near the Pier.
My family lives in Encinitas area which has the only beach that allows campfires… Moonlight Beach is very safe area. Reservations hard to get at the hotel at top of the street… uphill .I thought it was Embassy Suites but name might be Changed. .
Also close to Lego and about halfway to Disneyland.
Maybe a visit....we're looking more for $$! Lol. We will just have 2 nights in San Diego and one day will be spent at the zoo. Do you think Encinitas area is a good area to stay?

Yes It’s very popular so you might have trouble making reservations for your specific dates.
Looks like a lot has been built in area. My son has stayed just up the road at a Hilton property in Carlsbad , I think and loves it.

So much to do in this area… somebody just posted their trip report from Legoland in Orlando area and it sounded Fun .
Hope you can find some good prices , maybe a package deal or AAA .
28629DB3-5745-487F-94A7-6D0097BFA8A2.png

If the weather is perfect insunny California the Hotel del Coronado has a wonderful outdoor dining area on beach to enjoy

Maybe a visit....we're looking more for $$! Lol. We will just have 2 nights in San Diego and one day will be spent at the zoo. Do you think Encinitas area is a good area to stay?

Encinitas is kinda far for 2 days of activities in San Diego proper

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter