Best Restaurants for picky eaters

disfan458

Earning My Ears
Will be at Disney Oct 9-16th. Just a girls trip with mom and sister. Sister had her gall bladder taken out and now can only really eat certain things

Anybody how has no gall bladder know the best places to eat at while there?

thanks

Honestly, your best bet is scrolling the menus on the app to see what looks safe and appealing for her. I'd have her download the app and poke around in her spare time, esp since your trip is still months away.

Do you know what foods she avoids? My mother doesn't have a gallbladder and she has no dietary restrictions so this probably varies greatly from person to person.

From what she has told me, her main problems are greasy and spicy foods. Which sucks so much because she loves spicy food

No specific suggestions but a general observation -- the buffet restaurants have a large selection of different foods. Your friend could probably find something there and you will also have lots of choices.

I don't have a gall bladder and I can pretty much eat anything I could eat before I had it removed. Spicy foods do cause some indigestion but I just pop a tums and go about my day. Same with greasy food, although to be honest I didn't eat greasy food before I had it removed. The biggest problem I have is I can't eat large amounts at any time, kid's meals at QS are my friend and I don't usually eat all that so the cutie becomes a snack for later. Really, she should be able to eat anywhere. I tend to eat appetizers instead of an entre most of the time.

I can sympathize as I’ve got the same problem due to having the gall bladder surgery. Fatty foods don’t work, especially greasy, fried foods and dairy. Disney has plenty of those.
I’ve found the chefs at most TS restaurants can offer me acceptable choices. For QS, I go to Japan in Epcot, Yak & Yeti in AK, sub sandwich place in Disney Springs, a couple places in the Dolphin hotel and…Starbucks. That works for me but might not be enough variety for your SiL.

Same problem here, no gall bladder. For me it’s fried foods and greasy things (including stews with fatty gravy). At Disney, I am super careful, because who wants issues there? Most places have grilled chicken, which is safe for me. At Rose and Crown, I didn’t think I would tolerate most items on the adult menu, so I requested and got an adult portion of the kids grilled chicken dinner. Grilled fish or even lean steak work. I usually get a side salad instead of fries. I can eat some fries, though. I think she can ask if she doesn’t see anything. A key learning for me it to ask how things are prepared.

I had mine removed over 20 yers ago and have no restrictions. Prior to removal fatty foods would set off an attack. Has she tried the foods and had issues or is just following the doctor’s advice?

What are the "certain things" that she can eat?

Last edited:
The best choice is whatever your favorite is. A "picky eater" will find something anywhere. Why would you go somewhere to appease someone who doesn't like anything?

I had mine removed over 20 yers ago and have no restrictions. Has she tried the foods and had issues or is following the doctor’s advice.
I was wondering the same thing since I can eat anything I could eat before I had mine out. I got mine out in June of this year and the doctor told me there were no restrictions. I was on clear liquids the first day but that was just because the outpatient procedure turned into a 4 hour major surgery with 3 fun filled days in the hospital and going home with a drain in my side for 10 days after. Good times. After that first day, I could eat anything though. I don't eat fried or fatty or spicy foods but didn't before either. I have no problems at Disney, don't need to talk to the chef or get anything special and can eat anywhere.

I was wondering the same thing since I can eat anything I could eat before I had mine out. I got mine out in June of this year and the doctor told me there were no restrictions. I was on clear liquids the first day but that was just because the outpatient procedure turned into a 4 hour major surgery with 3 fun filled days in the hospital and going home with a drain in my side for 10 days after. Good times. After that first day, I could eat anything though. I don't eat fried or fatty or spicy foods but didn't before either. I have no problems at Disney, don't need to talk to the chef or get anything special and can eat anywhere.
My surgeon told me 80% have no issues, the other 20% do. I fall into the 20%. Primary care told me it could take several years to acclimate. I‘m 18 months out. I can eat most things, except the fried/greasy stuff.

There are a lot of people who can no longer eat oily, greasy food after having their gallbladders removed without a lot of intestinal discomfort. If that person has that, then let them be. It's their choice what they want/need to eat. It's very frustrating for people with dietary issues to be told that someone else can eat such and such just fine, even with the same health issue. Everyone is different.

My surgeon told me 80% have no issues, the other 20% do. I fall into the 20%. Primary care told me it could take several years to acclimate. I‘m 18 months out. I can eat most things, except the fried/greasy stuff.
I think the fried greasy stuff is an issue for most, especially early on. I think a lot of people need to experiment to see what fits for them. Like I said, I didn't eat fried/greasy stuff before I got mine out so it wasn't a big adjustment for me not to eat it now. (I have very high triglycerides which are being controlled by drugs but still have to watch what I eat). Tums are my best friend.

I had mine out almost 12 years ago. I have definitely had issues with greasy or spicy food. But I do not hold others back. I can usually find something anywhere we go. And I make a decision in the moment if I really want something that may make my stomach bother me later. For example, I love pizza (like most people, but it bothers me if I eat too much of it, so I will get a salad to eat before my pizza when we go out and then have just a little pizza. Oh and as someone else said. Tums are a big help when needed.

I think Buffets are good options, everyone can pick what works best for them, even if it is eating off the kids section. We tend to do that with our picky eater.

I had the same issue but my GI ordered Prevalite powder for me and that stuff works miracles!! It binds to the fat in your gut. If I do t take it I am In The bathroom all day and my stomach just churns. With it, I can pretty much eat anything I want

The buffets will all have a section with basic foods, like chicken tenders, mac n cheese, and steamed veggies.

In Magic Kingdom, Columbia Harbor House does grilled salmon or shrimp with rice and green beans.

In Epcot, the teriyaki at Katsura Grill is pretty mild but still tastes good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter