Best resort for large, multigenerational family

RoseMom

Mouseketeer
First off, I normally only plan trips for my immediate family. I am a DVC member so of course typically stick to those resorts. However, my mother recently asked me about planning a Thanksgiving trip including extended family. We would more than likely not use DVC points as I would not have enough for this group size and dates so we would be getting 3 separate rooms. Trip would include 9 people- 5 adults (2 in their 70s) and 4 children (ages 14,10,6,5). The 2 adults in their 70s are in fairly good shape and do not have any mobility problems. Looking for resort ideas that check at least the majority of the boxes (can be any resort category): smaller overall resort footprint, fun pools and activities for the kids, good quick service, and recently renovated rooms.

Poly in the MK area, one of the three in the Crescent Lake area (I’m partial to BWI but you may find the shared YC/BC a bigger attraction especially for the kids) have the advantages for a multigenerational trip for me. Mostly it’s the transportation aspect that makes life easier. We don’t drive in WDW and would probably be annoyed paying for car usage. The fact that the group can readily go their own ways at times is also a plus.
I’ve only ever stayed at the deluxe properties so am at a disadvantage in comparing the other resorts. As adults I could see staying at the Port Orleans hotels (close to DS) but don’t know how it works for children.

Have fun and enjoy wherever you stay!

pools at values don’t have slides so I’d go mod or deluxe.

Mod- CSR Tower. Tower takes out the big footprint part keeping the lobby and multiple food options under one roof. Pool is very big so lots of water space but not heavy on the theming. Good food options.

Deluxe- RIV has the smallest footprint but Idk how you’ll like its cash prices over turkey day. Most compact of the Deluxes as a tower so everything is quickly accessed.

Deluxe- BC/YC ain’t gonna beat SAB pool wise and walking to EP is pretty great.

Dark horse- call Swolphin at their direct line and ask about their multi room discount. They do a buy one get one 25% offer. Do note Swan has Queens but Dolphin is Doubles.

Since the weather will be a hit or miss around Thanksgiving - it could be in the 60's or in the 80's I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the pool unless you swim in any temperature. We went (3 families - 8 people - 1 -65, 2 30 somethings with 3 year old) and 2 30 somethings with 2 kids (3,5) 1 Thanksgiving and it ended up being the 60's and cloudy - no way were we getting in the pool, but then we are from the south so if it isn't in the high 80's I not getting in the pool anyway.

We stayed at AoA in the suites- it gave everyone space to spread out and it has the skyliner.

For a moderate, POFQ has the smallest footprint, although I don’t know when it was last renovated and it has no table service restaurants (has a food court). The pool area is cute and it’s a lovely resort. POR is nice too, but much larger. CS is another thought - large resort, but I have heard very nice comments about the tower.

The monorail resorts are wonderfully convenient. The Poly is terrific, but construction of the new DVC tower would make it a non-starter for me right now (too much chance of getting a not-so-wonderful view). I’m not certain when construction will be done. Otherwise, it checks all the boxes. The CR is newly renovated (the lobby and rooms) and there is a good variety of eating options. The pool is underwhelming though. The GF is a lovely resort with nice pools and restaurants. I really don’t know if it has been renovated recently (I think not, but that’s a guess). The monorail resorts are all pretty large though. The WL is pretty compact and less expensive than the monorail resorts. A bit “off the beaten path”, but that can be an asset In some ways. The pools are fun, as are the restaurants (Geyser Point is our favorite). And of course there are DVC units there as well as hotel rooms (even if you won’t be using points), just like the monorail hotels. AKL is terrific, although we have never had an opportunity to stay there. Gorgeous lobby and excellent restaurants.

We have really enjoyed the Riviera on our three stays there. I mention it specifically because it is a pretty compact resort. Lovely, spacious rooms, the pools are small-ish but very nice, and there is quick service as well as table service dining.

I cannot really offer an intelligent opinion of the value resorts because we have only stayed at All-Star Sports back in 1994 :oops: when it first opened and none of the others. But they are all pretty large resorts. Good luck with your decision!

After looking at what resorts, deals and availability look good for you, I’d compare to DVC rental options (unless you don’t want to lose the reservation flexibility and payment schedule of cash).

RIV checks some boxes but preferred view is only left and quite the point jump, so I’d compare 22pt Poly standard or 20pt BLT lake view. With BLT, a ~50pt/nt 2BR with occupancy 9 could work if you don’t mind sharing the space.

eta - Gran Destino starts near $500/nt this week. CBR around $400, and while that has skyliner it’s spread out. I’m not sure how good the offers will be across moderates (which have a better chance of satisfying requirements than values), so that’s why I’d keep point rentals in mind. At least for comparison’s sake.

I love Wilderness Lodge for Thanksgiving. I can't think of a better place to stay. The pools are fun, easy to get around, and gorgeous. The non dvc rooms have been done pretty recently? The one think that isn't the best compared to some other resorts might be the quick service but Roaring Forks is always sufficient for us. Geyser Point also has mobile order to you can use that a take out too.

For the kids, it might be worth it to take the bus over to Fort Wilderness to use the playground and pony rides for the little ones. I believe the boats between Fw, WL, and CR are back so you can always hope on there to get to those resorts or monorail resorts for different dining options.

pools at values don’t have slides so I’d go mod or deluxe.

Mod- CSR Tower. Tower takes out the big footprint part keeping the lobby and multiple food options under one roof. Pool is very big so lots of water space but not heavy on the theming. Good food options.

Deluxe- RIV has the smallest footprint but Idk how you’ll like its cash prices over turkey day. Most compact of the Deluxes as a tower so everything is quickly accessed.

Deluxe- BC/YC ain’t gonna beat SAB pool wise and walking to EP is pretty great.

Dark horse- call Swolphin at their direct line and ask about their multi room discount. They do a buy one get one 25% offer. Do note Swan has Queens but Dolphin is Doubles.
RIV is our home resort so I’m really tempted to use what points I do have for a studio and then rent points for what other rooms we need. It’s by far my favorite!

The other posters have made great points already. I’m just going to throw out something a little different - how about AKL?

I know the hallways feel like they go on forever, but they are walking distance to the lobby in enclosed hallways. The hallways feel comparable to the ones at Boardwalk to me.

The pools are fun, there’s the arcade, community hall, and several amazing savannahs to enjoy. The wonder of seeing giraffes, zebras, ostriches, etc. from the resort could make this an amazing vacation for the kids and the older adults. Especially if any of them feel they’re too “old” for the parks and don’t want to spend tons of time at Disney Springs.

The Mara is good imo, and the sit down restaurants are among the best. I’d suggest booking Jambo for easier QS access but doing a Sanaa take out for the bread service one day.

Doesn’t check the recently renovated box I’m afraid but we have stayed in a variety of studios and 1 bedrooms at AKL in the past 2 years (latest being Dec 2023) and none of the rooms have made us go “wow this desperately needs a refurb!”

Wilderness Lodge for the deluxe category with a small footprint. Awesome theming too. French Quarter for small footprint in moderate category BUT no table service restaurant.

I was all set to recommend OKW to you, until you said you weren't going to use points. We've gone to WDW several times on multi-generational trips, and are going again this fall. DS made his wished known "And this time we want to stay at OKW". We stayed at AKV once, thinking everyone would enjoy seeing the animals, but after a few days, the newness wore off for most everyone (except me). But since you're not using points, I don't know where to stay. Maybe AoA family suites?

Another DVC member here. Since you aren't using DVC points, I'd consider staying somewhere you can't or wouldn't use your points. I can't use mine at Riviera, so I might consider staying there if I was paying cash (for example). If a resort requires more points than you could spare (like VGF, for example) or is hard to get with DVC points unless you own there (like BWV), I'd stay there. That way you get to try somewhere different.

I love Wilderness Lodge for Thanksgiving. I can't think of a better place to stay. The pools are fun, easy to get around, and gorgeous. The non dvc rooms have been done pretty recently? The one think that isn't the best compared to some other resorts might be the quick service but Roaring Forks is always sufficient for us. Geyser Point also has mobile order to you can use that a take out too.

For the kids, it might be worth it to take the bus over to Fort Wilderness to use the playground and pony rides for the little ones. I believe the boats between Fw, WL, and CR are back so you can always hope on there to get to those resorts or monorail resorts for different dining options.
I absolutely agree with this. WL will appeal to all ages for different reasons. Between Geyser Point and Roaring Fork, QS options are great. And Territory Lounge is another favorite. Now that the ferry to FW is back, the idea to take the kiddos over there is genius. A large group might also enjoy Hoop-Dee-Do, and if you can swing it, the character meal with Snow White is quite good.

Okay, now I’m glad we’re heading back to WL in March, otherwise, I’d be planning another trip!

If you need to get a cash room I recommend calling guest services to check if they have any resort discounts available for members. I was doing a similar multi-generational trip once using points for my room and cash for the others and they had a discount available for the cash room.

We have a stay booked in May and are not DVC members. Having said that, we have decided to stay in a 2 BR villa at Copper Creek. We are traveling with my parents (80 yrs), DH and me (50s), and 3 adult children (27 - 23yrs). We like that everyone has a vanity (parents, DH and me, DD and her hubby, DS) and WL seems quite nice. We have never picked it before since DL is our home resort and we like GC, which seems quite similar. Previously we always stayed at YC.

The only disappointing thing is no Murphy bed in the living room...still a pull out couch. Size and layout wise we think this is a good choice for a group of 7. Perhaps you could do a 2BR and a studio for your gang. Other suggestions made to me were Riviera tower and BLT (for the 3rd bathroom).

Again, another DVC member. We have done family trip of 10. Us (2) DD (5) and DDIL (3). We did a studio for us and a two bedroom for the rest. DDIL took the 2nd bedroom for boys and DD had the living room and kingsize bed, with her 4 girls.

Great thing with this setup , lots of money saved with cooking ( nothing fancy, toss in oven freezer stuff) and washer /dryer was great too.

If you need to get a cash room I recommend calling guest services to check if they have any resort discounts available for members. I was doing a similar multi-generational trip once using points for my room and cash for the others and they had a discount available for the cash room.
If doing this would I have to wait and call member services at the 7 month mark for the discount on the cash room. For example, if I book my room at Riviera using points at 11 months could I go ahead and possibly get a discounted cash rate then too or would I have to check at 7 months?

We have a stay booked in May and are not DVC members. Having said that, we have decided to stay in a 2 BR villa at Copper Creek. We are traveling with my parents (80 yrs), DH and me (50s), and 3 adult children (27 - 23yrs). We like that everyone has a vanity (parents, DH and me, DD and her hubby, DS) and WL seems quite nice. We have never picked it before since DL is our home resort and we like GC, which seems quite similar. Previously we always stayed at YC.

The only disappointing thing is no Murphy bed in the living room...still a pull out couch. Size and layout wise we think this is a good choice for a group of 7. Perhaps you could do a 2BR and a studio for your gang. Other suggestions made to me were Riviera tower and BLT (for the 3rd bathroom).
After a CC stay with that couch bed from hell I saw someone mention you can ask housekeeping for something like a second topping mattress to help pad it so keep that in mind!

If doing this would I have to wait and call member services at the 7 month mark for the discount on the cash room. For example, if I book my room at Riviera using points at 11 months could I go ahead and possibly get a discounted cash rate then too or would I have to check at 7 months?
I’m not sure about that, but I don’t think those dates apply to cash rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter