Best Resort for a Solo Traveler

DrJFEG

Disney Fan, Professor, Nerd
I'm contemplating a solo trip in 2020 - any suggestions for the best resort for a solo traveler. I'll probably spend most days in the parks and some time at Disney Springs. A bit of an introvert, but do enjoy meeting new folks!

What type of theme do you like? I'd say any are good depending on what you want. When I went solo what I looked for was something with a good pool, location and a food court. Most have that. I also like to have a hotel that has entry from inside the building ( vs. motel style where the entrance is on the outside of the building ).

For you, I'd say something centrally located to most of the parks:
POR or POFQ are a quick drive to MK and EP and not far from HS. ( These are my favorite mods )
CBR will have the Skyliner open which will give you a few new way to get to HS and EP.
CSR has the new tower building and the fun-looking over the water restaurant.

Thanks for the perspective! I am staying at FQ in January with others and have a feeling I will dig it and end up there solo. It's seems a more "adult" and accessible to Disney Springs - which I enjoy. What makes FQ a top choice for you?

I've stayed solo 4 times at POFQ. I like the small footprint (no room too far from the main building) and the open feel - feels like a quaint little neighborhood, not like you're roaming around in the woods trying to find your way home. I'm weird, but at WDW I actually like the "exterior corridors" resorts - there are usually plenty of people around within "shouting distance." If you want to go to Disney Springs, the boat is a big plus.

I’ve stayed at most of the resorts solo, and to me, the decision comes down to the same factors that matter when I’m with a group.

Is the resort close to the attractions I’ll be visiting?
Are the food choices appealing to me?
Are the recreational options right for my vacation plans?

In other words, I don’t see a lot of difference between choosing a resort for a group trip or a solo trip. Basically, does the resort suit my needs for the vacation I’ve planned?

Thanks for the perspective! I am staying at FQ in January with others and have a feeling I will dig it and end up there solo. It's seems a more "adult" and accessible to Disney Springs - which I enjoy. What makes FQ a top choice for you?

I love the smaller size and I love visiting New Orleans so it reminds me of those trips. Pretty much every building is pretty close to the Food Court. I love that you can walk over to POR if you want to take a nice walk. And the boat to DS is a treat.

I took my first solo trip last year and really enjoyed it. I stayed at the YC and like patty57 mentioned above, having the ability to walk to Epcot AND HS was priceless in my opinion.
You mention you are a semi introvert, so maybe similar to me but here is the scenario that tipped the scales for me. Say you spend a good amount of the day in the parks and come back to the resort late afternoon for a bit of a rest and dinner. I just had a feeling that if I was still sort of worn out I might have chosen to just continue relaxing at the resort rather than undergo the hassle of riding the buses again, and dealing with post fireworks crowds on my own. However, at the YC or BC or BWI for that matter, it's just an easy stroll over to Epcot where I could get some snacks, watch the fireworks and just have a grand time with no worries of battling crowds - absolutely awesome!
Of course that's just my opinion .... but oh was it relaxing and wonderful!!

I travel solo often and am usually at one of the Epcot resorts. But to the points made above- that's b/c it fits with my love of Epcot and specifically World Showcase, not necessarily b/c I'm solo. Walk to HS is great too. In addition, I find there are a lot of bars/lounges in the resort area that are pretty easy to walk up to and not feel awkward as a solo (lots of convention attendees) - Flying Fish, BlueZoo, Il Mulino, Shulas, Crews Cup, Ale & Compass, ESPN.

In other words, I don’t see a lot of difference between choosing a resort for a group trip or a solo trip. Basically, does the resort suit my needs for the vacation I’ve planned?

I agree! I have taken four solo trips to date and numerous other trips with family and no resort has struck me as being more (or less) solo-friendly than others.

One thing I have learned on my solo trips is to not book a resort that doesn’t really appeal to me because “it’s just me” and I shouldn’t splurge. Obviously, most of us have budgets and financial considerations, but I will no longer choose a resort for a solo trip based on cost alone.

My one solo stay was at POFQ. I liked that it was small enough I knew my room would not be a long hike away from the main area, especially important to me at night. And the boat to Disney Springs is a huge plus.

I have done some solo trips while attending conferences.

I loved Coranado and the GF solo. Both resorts felt very comfortable solo and I would travel there again with or with out my family.

Honestly, I would stay at any of the resorts we have tried solo.

I would just go with your preference.

About half of my (really too many) trips are a solo traveller, and I don't think resort choice has hinged as much on that reality as it does on the other things that make my vacation work or not. I tend not to love the Animal Kingdom options because it's a long ride to get anywhere else--this may be exacerbated by traveling alone, but I'm not sure that's the stand out feature.

For me, convenience and theming are a big deal--whether I'm alone or with others.

But it's a great question--and one that I am glad to read people's thoughts on.

I've stayed twice at Yacht Club solo, and loved being able to walk over to EPCOT, or take the boat over the lagoon to Boardwalk Bakery for breakfast outside. It's also got a more adult feel to it. I've also stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge and loved it, but it's one of my favorite resorts to begin with. It's also a little quieter, which is nice as an adult.

I've got another solo trip planned this December, and right now I'm at AKL because the EPCOT resorts didn't have any availability for my dates.

My last 4-5 trips have been solo. I've chosen all 3 All Stars over these trips. At Movies (once this year solo, other times too) I had a preferred room that was renovated (& since I was solo I didn't have to mess with the pull down 2nd bed & could use the nice sized table). At Music (1st & only stay ever), I had a Standard room two doors down from a preferred priced room. At Sports, I stayed twice (once preferred & once standard this year, stayed other times too). At Sports, if there's a shared bus (only at slow mid-day times), you're the first picked up/dropped off. Sports is also the shortest walk to the McDonald's.

I don't use the pools as I have AP & head to the water parks instead, so that's never a consideration. With a solo trip, you don't need large sq. ft. in the room. So I like to spend as little as possible on the room, but usually want DME, EMH, & 60 day FP selection (though many of my trips have been booked inside 30 days). A party of 1 gets great FP times by modifying.

All of my trips include some special dining location, I did a dessert party treat for my birthday, I did a holiday resort tour with fancy dinner. I usually dress up & head out.

There is a whole section on the DIS to discuss solo travels, so be sure to scroll over there & take a look

I stayed at The Dolphin and enjoyed the walk to Epcot and the studios.. plus the boardwalk is a fun place to go at night.

I stay at the All Stars or Pop Century. Traveling solo I don’t want to spend a lot on the room. I’m not in there much anyway! I always forego mousekeeping and that extra money pays for my food! Someday I may splurge and stay somewhere else.

I have stayed solo at POR, Coronado Springs, Dolphin, Swan, Beach Club, and Boardwalk. I really prefer the feeling of security of the indoor hallways. My very favorite is The Boardwalk. I also like that I can go to the store, for any supplies, and still be in the same building. I can walk around the lobby very late at night without going outside, too.

I have stayed solo at POR, Coronado Springs, Dolphin, Swan, Beach Club, and Boardwalk. I really prefer the feeling of security of the indoor hallways. My very favorite is The Boardwalk. I also like that I can go to the store, for any supplies, and still be in the same building. I can walk around the lobby very late at night without going outside, too.

Same here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter