• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Rate For Grand Californian?

Lexxiefern

DIS Veteran
Anyone have any tips on how to get a good rate for the Grand Californian? Does an AP give good discounts? Thanks for any help!

Oh, looking to go in March if that helps. :wave2:

Maybe they'll have a fire sale! :rotfl2: Or maybe a firefighter discount! :rotfl:

(The Christmas tree in the lobby caught fire about 3 a.m. Wed, Dec 28, and they had to evacuate.)

Seriously, though, I'm glad no one was seriously injured and the damage to the lobby was minimal. Even though I'm probably too cheap to actually stay there, the GCH is BEAUTIFUL!

Happy planning!

Lexxiefern said:
Anyone have any tips on how to get a good rate for the Grand Californian? Does an AP give good discounts? Thanks for any help!

I always check on Mousesavers.com to see if any new codes/discounts are available. If not, then your best bet is to call Disney directly and keep asking the CM if there is ANYTHING cheaper available. Each time, he/she gives you a rate, say, "Do you have any other rates?" Ask about codes, AAA, AP discounts, etc. (One time I even got a So. Cal. discount at the DL Hotel even though I live in Northern CA. They went ahead and gave it to me, "since they'd mentioned it.") They will only offer if you ask and are persistent. Write down everything and then call again. You'll get a different CM who may offer something else. This has always turned up a good deal for me. Well, "Good" being a relative term with this hotel--it's going to be expensive no matter how much of a discount you manage to get.:teeth:

You can try expedia, put in any dates, then go to the hotel then go to where it says are your dates flexible and it will give you a calendar with different prices for different nights, (sometimes....) good luck.

We got our first AP's back in October during our most recent visit to DL. I was hoping that we could take advantage of big discounts for AP holders at the DLR hotels. In my case, calling central reservations on a regular basis to check on possible upcoming discounts worked out. We are getting an incredible rate at the GCH $89.00/night for our trip in January :flower:

I say do the math. If you are planning more than one trip in a 12 month time frame, then getting an AP could save quite a bit of $$!

Take care,

Jen

jenpace said:
We got our first AP's back in October during our most recent visit to DL. I was hoping that we could take advantage of big discounts for AP holders at the DLR hotels. In my case, calling central reservations on a regular basis to check on possible upcoming discounts worked out. We are getting an incredible rate at the GCH $89.00/night for our trip in January :flower:

I say do the math. If you are planning more than one trip in a 12 month time frame, then getting an AP could save quite a bit of $$!

Take care,

Jen
Wow, that's a great AP rate. We got $179 for our stay on the 12th, and I thought that was good. What dates are you going?

Hi Jensmom,
We will be there the week of 1/23. We had originally had made reservations at the DLH at that AP rate. A few weeks ago they called from central reservations to see if it would be okay to "bump" us to the GCH (for the same $89.00 rate) because the DLH was overbooked. I had to think about it...for about 2.5 seconds ;) before I happily agreeed to the change.

I am really, REALLY looking forward to this trip. In addition to the fantabulous hotel rate, since we have AP's we don't need to stress over the cost of park-hoppers for the five of us :flower:

Like I mentioned in the earlier post above, it can be a huge $$ saver to go with the Annual Passes.

Jen

Lucky you Jenpace!! You got some great 'pixiedust' with that rate!!! Our AP's expire on 1/13 and we have had so much fun this past year going at least once a month. We love our AP's!! We plan on waiting a couple of months, then getting them again, maybe in September (if we can wait that long, lol).

Hey Jensmom,
Wow, once a month? I'm jealous! We have been able to get down to DL just once a year until now since we got our AP's. Are you sure you can hold out until September? It's a looooooooog time away::MickeyMo

BTW, I'm guessing that your daughter is named Jennifer (like me) or is it another name with "Jen" in it somwhere?

Jen

I have been checking off and on for about 5 months but not in the last month. I am a PAP holder and the cheapest GC theme park view room has been $400/night. We have stayed at the GC for the last 5 visits and absolutely love it but I won't pay that for a weeks stay so for the first time in many years I have a ressie at the Embassy Suites. I may check again, however, if the prices are coming down.

jenpace said:
Hey Jensmom,
Wow, once a month? I'm jealous! We have been able to get down to DL just once a year until now since we got our AP's. Are you sure you can hold out until September? It's a looooooooog time away::MickeyMo

BTW, I'm guessing that your daughter is named Jennifer (like me) or is it another name with "Jen" in it somwhere?

Jen
Yes, Jenpace, we are so lucky to live so close (only an hour and a half away). You are right, we probably won't be able to make it till Sept. I think my husband will end up just renewing our passes when we are there this January (lol).

Yes, I have a daughter named Jennifer, but she goes by Jen. She is the light of my life, my Disney Angel! She will be 14 on New Year's Eve - maybe one year she can celebrate in the parks, but this year she has to wait until the middle of January to go.

Best wishes for a Happy New Year - and enjoy your stay at the GC!

Lexxiefern said:

They do occasionally have good AP rates at the GC
Just don't count on the $89 rate Jenpace got! CONGRATS on that one btw!
I'm guessing that type of deal is VERY rare.

$179 is the best AP rate we have gotten and that was for a standard room - you'd have to pay more for theme park view.

Often the good AP rates don't come out until just a month or two prior to travel dates, and I think they are in part based on when they think it may be a bit slower based on bookings.
Lots of spring breaks in March - so who knows?

Thanks for all the help! Do you have to have an AP in hand in order to call and get a quote? How are the AAA discounts? And does anyone know if there is an 800 #? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter