Best purchase when your husband is all about saving money!

1BRs have pretty good availability most of the time. As long as you are comfortable staying at SSR, that gives you the best bang for your buck. Buy there, book SSR at 11 mos, then switch to a different resort at 7 months if you so desire. Also, not much of a consideration yet, but BLT and AKV 1brs have 2 bathrooms. Just something to think about.

Oh, I just saw BR is in your OP. I can't imagine a scenario outside of someone who REALLY LOVES WL and needs to sleep 5 that I'd suggest BR. I'd go CCV for WL or any of the usual suspects for value in resale, like SSR. BR points are some of the most expensive in the system, and the chart isn't great. I'm either buying more expensive points with a better chart (BC/BW) or a longer contract.

https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blog/best-economical-dvc-resorts-to-purchase-fall-2021/

I am all about saving money, I am Canadian and buying direct from home is not an option in my province. So I was hunting the good deals and got 2 in early 2020. There are still good resale deals to be made. Personally I love the Epcot area for the walking paths to HS ans EPCOT. So for the points charts I would buy Boardwalk.

BR points are some of the most expensive in the system, and the chart isn't great.
On a point per year cost, yes. But it’s $190 direct, and dues are only $0.03 higher than BWV, so if your focus is on lowest buy-in cost, it is better than BWV/BCV direct and resale. AKV still tops out as a better deal, as it’s direct pricing is lower ($186) and has 15 more years on its contract, though it’s resale is higher and dues are higher.

BRV’s point chart is the same as CCV, though, and very similar to BWV/BCV (excepting BWV standard studios which are a great deal), so I’m not sure why you think it’s point chart isn’t great? Compared to the other MK resorts, it’s fantastic.

BRV’s point chart is the same as CCV, though, and very similar to BWV/BCV (excepting BWV standard studios which are a great deal), so I’m not sure why you think it’s point chart isn’t great? Compared to the other MK resorts, it’s fantastic.

Right, so why wouldn't you buy CCV? If you plan to sell in a few years, you need an exit strategy. I'm much more comfortable selling BC/BW/CCV/BLT, even SSR. There's A LOT of resale on the market, and a lot of CCV. Any of the top few can flip the math with a good buy. Buying well can make or break this, especially if you don't plan to hold for long.

OP these are the questions you need to ask -
1) When do you plan to visit WDW? There are low & high demand DVC times - if you intend to visit during a very high demand time you’ll need the home resort 11 month booking advantage even for 1 br.s, so best to buy where you want to stay.
Also, when you visit impacts which use year you want - avoid use years that are right before your planned visit times because if you have to cancel you’ll risk losing your points.
2) Do you want to always stay at your home resort & build memories w/ your family there or do you want variety & maybe even want to do split stays so you can experience different resorts? If the latter, then the cheapest points that let you do that are best & possibly only direct since you’ll be able to try out whatever new DVCs are built.
3) How often do you plan to visit, for how long, & do you care what view you have? Those questions need to be answered so that you can figure out whether 200 points at your chosen resort will get you what you want when you want it. For example looking at 1 br.s for a Sat. to Sat. stay in June:
AKV : st.view 188, sav. view 235
BRV : 232
CCV : 237
Riv . : st.view 259, pref.view 328
AKV is one of the 2 resorts I own & I love it - it’s not for everyone & it’s not too hard to get at 7 months especially for 1 br.s except for high demand times (fall frenzy) & high demand villas (value & club villas.) Jambo is harder to get than Kidani.
4) The real cost w/ DVC isn’t the initial buy in - although for most that’s a high number - it’s the MFs through the years & it’s the always outpacing inflation cost to visit WDW - park tickets, add on costs like G+, food, transportation costs to get there, etc.. I doubt a true penny pincher would opt to buy DVC to stay in 1 br.s. That said, I did buy DVC to stay in 1 br.s & while I don’t consider myself to be a penny pincher, I do like to get value for my money - I liked staying in deluxe resorts & they weren’t getting any cheaper, I liked having space & getting 2 deluxe rooms or paying Disney’s price for a 1 br. was really expensive, so for me it penciled out given my travel preferences.

Right, so why wouldn't you buy CCV? If you plan to sell in a few years, you need an exit strategy. I'm much more comfortable selling BC/BW/CCV/BLT, even SSR. There's A LOT of resale on the market, and a lot of CCV. Any of the top few can flip the math with a good buy. Buying well can make or break this, especially if you don't plan to hold for long.
Sure, I agree, go with CCV, unless you need that 3rd sleeping space/5th person in the BRV studio. I was just more wondering why you thought the point chart "isn't great." It's a "legacy" point chart, so is much better than VGF, BLT, PVB, and RIV.

For OP - I would suggest direct AKV or RIV. I have a strong perference for AKV - it's such a unique experience! - but RIV has that skyliner access to Epcot and HS, and you'll likely need to own to get Standard View, even 1BRs. As your kids get older, you might find their favorite parks change. With both of those bought direct, you will always have the option to go to any resort Disney builds, AND if you decide to sell later on, will likely make back your buy-in cost when selling, as they both have longer expirations.

I agree with those that said AKL Resale, go for a big super large point contract. Than you can take your shot at trying to book the AKL Value category. I picked SSR over AKL in 2012 resale, but if I could do it over, I would have paid a few more dollars for AKL over SSR, because a few more years until expiration and to try to grab some value rooms or club level at the 11month marker would be something I would want to try for as an AKL owner. Big 3 of OKW, AKL, SSR usually have inventory and only the AKL value & club require 11month racing to book, so all 3 are great to just have points to book. Now buying resale means you won't be able to book RIV on your own, but that year you want to go, you can easily buy a transfer from a RIV owner or just rent from any owner that has RIV booking ability.

Direct is not worth direct anymore. Resale at SSR or akv is probably your best bet. The only value in direct are the ap discounts and that only pays off if you visit more than once a year. Even the APs are expensive now. I miss the 399 pass from years back.

Direct is not worth direct anymore. Resale at SSR or akv is probably your best bet. The only value in direct are the ap discounts and that only pays off if you visit more than once a year. Even the APs are expensive now. I miss the 399 pass from years back.

Unless you want access to RIV or DLH, then the extra for direct may be worth it.

I think SSR is your best bet for value, it's just remodeled and proximity to DS as the kids get older and ease of getting into your villa without walking through parking lots and endless corridors (BLT, AKV and BWV). Good luck!

Also, when you visit impacts which use year you want - avoid use years that are right before your planned visit times because if you have to cancel you’ll risk losing your points.
I think this may be backwards, or I'm reading it backwards - you want a UY that begins right before your planned visit times, so that if you have to cancel a trip, it will be early in your UY and allow plenty of time to reschedule the trip for later in the same UY or to bank the points. You want to avoid a UY that ends right after your planned visit times.

I think this may be backwards, or I'm reading it backwards - you want a UY that begins right before your planned visit times, so that if you have to cancel a trip, it will be early in your UY and allow plenty of time to reschedule the trip for later in the same UY or to bank the points. You want to avoid a UY that ends right after your planned visit times.
Yes, I said it backwards - thanks. In my defense I was a bit distracted since I’ve been trying to add a few days to my early Dec. ‘22 reservation & doing so online or via phone is challenging ATM :)

When I purchased VGF, I put more weight on expiration than I did the points chart. I love the resort and am so glad to have it as a home resort BUT I think if i had factored in the points charts better, I may have ended up with a 2042 resort, Beach Club was the one I was deciding against.

For penny pinchers, stretching points may be just as significant or more than stretching cash. 200 pts at BCV or BWV or OKW goes WAY further than 200 points at VGF, RIV, Poly etc.

Yes, I said it backwards - thanks. In my defense I was a bit distracted since I’ve been trying to add a few days to my early Dec. ‘22 reservation & doing so online or via phone is challenging ATM :)
OMG! I've been so glad I haven't needed to access the member website the last few days! Good luck!

I picked SSR over AKL in 2012 resale, but if I could do it over, I would have paid a few more dollars for AKL over SSR, because a few more years until expiration and to try to grab some value rooms or club level at the 11month marker would be something I would want to try for as an AKL owner.
I totally agree. I normally wouldn’t tell people to buy AKL for value rooms, because there are so few, but 1BR isn’t impossible. If you learn how to walk and fight for it, that AKL 1BR value is an absolute steal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter