Best private tour companies out of Rome

mimmiepnp

DIS Veteran
Hoping to arrive a few days prior to our Rome adventure next year. For those of you that have travelled To Rome, what are the best private tour companies to use prior to our ABD adventure. Particularly interested in day trips from Rome to Pompeii and/or Tuscany area. Thank you

Hoping to arrive a few days prior to our Rome adventure next year. For those of you that have travelled To Rome, what are the best private tour companies to use prior to our ABD adventure. Particularly interested in day trips from Rome to Pompeii and/or Tuscany area. Thank you

We were not on an ABD at the time but in August 2017 we used Mondo Guide (recommended by Rick Steves) for two tours out of Sorrento. I believe they will do transfers from Rome. We had an amazing privately guided tour of Pompeii. We entered with our guide before the masses and had some areas all to ourself. We also signed up for a shared boat tour to Capri with Mondo which included a stop at the Blue Grotto first thing before the crowds. Highly recommend.

We also loved our Walks of Italy group tours in Rome during that trip. We did the Pristine Sistine Chapel early entrance tour, VIP Colosseum Underground Tour with the Roman Forum, and a Welcome to Rome City Stroll.

One of our favorite activities that trip was our Fabiolous Cooking Day class in Rome. We had a market tour and then went to a loft to make three different pastas and sauces with the ingredients we purchased at the market and specialty shops - best pasta I have ever had. There were only 4 of us in the class including my husband and my 15 year old daughter and a nice young woman from Slovenia but you could probably book it privately.

There are many Daily Coach Tour Co. in Rome who do the day tours that you are looking for.

They fill the coaches with tourists from many countries & from most Hotels.

The tour guides are fluent in many languages and are good

These tours are NOT for small parties but for how many turn up at departure time.

These are usually booked in the evening , at the hotel. before tour day.

I'll second the thumbs up for Walks of Italy. Outstanding guides who told a story versus just giving you a bunch of facts.

We used Context Travel for a tour of Ostia Antica, and it was outstanding. Very small group (5 people), and extremely knowledgeable guide who was easily able to tailor the tour to the interests of the people on the tour. Highly recommend them.

We've used Context Travel for a couple of tours. One was Movies in Rome and the other was an Art History tour. They were both fantastic. The Movie tour was run by a cinema professor and the Art History tour was by an archaeologist who had participated in several digs around Rome.

I’ve not used this company in Rome, but have used them in other cities - Tours By Locals. https://www.toursbylocals.com/. Local tour guides can register their tour options here on a centralized site. I’ve been very happy with them for the times I’ve used them in other cities. Some have reported finding the same guides & their tours independent of this site, for a bit cheaper pricing...I’ve not tried to do that.

I also use them for research to see what sort of tours are being offered, at what pricing, for both ideas and comparisons. I’m doing that now with a couple of trips planned for next year, and have found things to see I’d not yet come across in other research.

You can start with Rome, then pick Rome Day Trip/ Out of Town. Then filter further to either Pompeii or Tuscany to see the available tours for each.

We stayed at the best hotel we've ever visited overseas while in Rome - Marriott Palazzo Naiadi, The Dedica Anthology, Piazza delta Repubblica 47 Rome 00185, which is a block from the Metro, and also a block from the main train station. We booked a trip through

Dark Rome VIP Pompeii and Sorrento Small Group

which departed 7 am at the train station. All tickets, including train were included, and the meet up was a breeze. The Pompeii was an adults only trip, (chosen by my wife) and it was quite naughty. The navigation system GPS took on a whole new meaning. We had a great time. The Sorrento portion was by minibus from Pompeii, and was equally amazing. It was almost like a mini ABD. We returned to the train station quite late, but with great smiles.

We also did the Dark Heart of Rome City Wonders Ghost Walking Tour which was horrible, and at about 11:30 pm the guide disappeared, leaving us stranded without a clue where we were. I strongly recommend avoiding that one.

We used Livitaly for a private day trip to visit Vesuvius and Pompeii. pick up and return were from our hotel. It was fantastic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter