Best price for 1GB card??

billwendy

DIS Veteran
hi, where can i find a great price on a 1 GB card for my camera (takes a secure digital card)

also, has anyone ever purchased an add on zoom lense for their kodak easy share?

thanks, wendy

Lower price doesn't necessarily mean a good card. You want a card that's reliable with a faster transfer rate. They don't really come cheap but I'd recommend a SanDisk Ultra II. I use it for my Palm Pilot.

I got Sandisk Extreme III SD Secure Digital 1GB Card Memory Card (133X) from Adorama for $109.89 - $20 rebate = $89.89.

I have purchased our memory cards at Staples on Black Friday. A 1Gb card will sell for $39.95 with rebates. These are not the fastest cards, but I have been pleased with their performance.

Dan Murphy said:
How fast should it be?
Depends on the camera but most of the cameras out there can't use the speed of the new cards while taking pictures. The exception seems to be the video capabilities of some of the newer P&S cameras. Due to the size and quality of the video the fastest cards available are needed. If the card is not fast enough the video will shut down.

On top of that, I personally want the fastest card possible so when I upload the piccies to my PC they can be transferred at breakneck speed.

Oh, btw, The Kingston Elite Pro transfer speed is 8 MBps whereas Sandisk Ultra II is 10 MBps, Sandisk Exterme III is 20 MBps.

ndelaware said:
Depends on the camera but most of the cameras out there can't use the speed of the new cards while taking pictures. The exception seems to be the video capabilities of some of the newer P&S cameras. Due to the size and quality of the video the fastest cards available are needed. If the card is not fast enough the video will shut down.
I use the Kingston card, SD, Elite Pro. It specs at 8.2MB/sec read rate,
7.7MB/sec write rate. I shot some video while at WDW on a new S2 IS, at 30fps, 640 X 480 (I posted links here before) and they looked great, no halting or slowdown whatever. And for uploading, each night I transferred the day's take, about 300 or so files, about 1.5 meg each, took about 4 or so minutes I think, while I brushed my teeth in the washroom.

Man when I read everything ya'll have to say I feel as dumb as a doorknob. :rotfl2:

anut4disney said:
Man when I read everything ya'll have to say I feel as dumb as a doorknob. :rotfl2:
Don't worry about it. You'll catch on soon enough. BTW, I've been using the Sandisk Ultra II 1GB SD card in my D50 and it's been great thus far. Costco had a sale on them on Black Friday for like $63 but they're back up to the regular price of $89 each. I thought about going with another brand and slower speed. But since I've got a good camera, I didn't want to take a chance with another card. Just my 2 cents...

Ever since my SanDisk sd card died in the middle of MGM, I have been leery of buying them again! My other cards were fine, but that one was zapped for several months, before it magically started working again! Boy, was I happy to see those pictures that I thought I had lost!! :flower:

Long story short...no more SanDisk cards for me!

Dan Murphy said:
I use the Kingston card, SD, Elite Pro. It specs at 8.2MB/sec read rate,
7.7MB/sec write rate. I shot some video while at WDW on a new S2 IS, at 30fps, 640 X 480 (I posted links here before) and they looked great, no halting or slowdown whatever. And for uploading, each night I transferred the day's take, about 300 or so files, about 1.5 meg each, took about 4 or so minutes I think, while I brushed my teeth in the washroom.

Dan you never cease to amaze me. Only you would have thought to use SD memory cards as a timer to make sure you were brushing your teeth for the proper amount of time. Next thing you'll tell me that you floss while burning CDs of photos and when the disc is done so are your teeth. :teeth:

I did want to add a budget comment about your link to buy.com. I purchase quite a lot through them but before going to the buy.com web site I go to fatwallet.com. By first going to the fatwallet site then clicking through to buy.com I get 3% of the purchase back in the form of cash. I have them put the money in a PayPal account then use it to buy other photo supplies and gear. It works out pretty well. The only drawback to that is the money is not deposited for 90 days (which is the longest period of time buy.com allows for a refund. I think it is protection from people buying stuff, getting money then returning the stuff they bought). Fatwallet.com has a lot of vendors to choose from. I ended up getting enough money back from purchases that I got an extra 1 GB memory card.

Jeff

disneyfan551 said:
Ever since my SanDisk sd card died in the middle of MGM, I have been leery of buying them again! My other cards were fine, but that one was zapped for several months, before it magically started working again! Boy, was I happy to see those pictures that I thought I had lost!! :flower:

Long story short...no more SanDisk cards for me!

Well, from your description, it's a static electricity problem. If it's the card problem it can't not-work and then work-again. Of course personal experience will vary from person to person.

I had a similar problem with several (not just one) Lexar Pro and PQI cards, but the cards themselves were at fault (they actually died and can't be recucitated). :faint: I've yet to find myself in that predicament with any (I have 6)of my Sandisk (touch wood). :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter