Best places to stay around the Grand Canyon...

SD33

Mouseketeer
Hey all, my wife and I want to visit the Grand Canyon in the near future. We will be driving up from the Scottsdale area. Where are your favorite places to stay and what are your favorite things to do? We will also be visiting Sedona and Flagstaff, potentially, so if you have favorites in that area I'd love to get your take on that as well. Thanks!

If you can swing it, you want to stay at the El Tovar inside the park. Otherwise, there is whole town (Tusayan) outside the park with many chain hotels and motels to stay in.

If you can swing it, you want to stay at the El Tovar inside the park. Otherwise, there is whole town (Tusayan) outside the park with many chain hotels and motels to stay in.
We did that once, and I swore that next time we visit GC it would be "on-site". I think it would make the same difference as it does at WDW. So El Tovar would be good, or any of the other hotels inside the park boundaries, such as Bright Angel or Kachina.

We did that once, and I swore that next time we visit GC it would be "on-site". I think it would make the same difference as it does at WDW. So El Tovar would be good, or any of the other hotels inside the park boundaries, such as Bright Angel or Kachina.

I agree whole heartedly. Both times we have stayed inside the park. However, you have to make reservations almost a year in advance to get anything so Tusayan maybe a good alternative for the OP.

Best way to visit the GC is to camp. Nice campgrounds, walking trails along the rim.

Then if you are really up for it, backpack down into the Canyon (reservations needed, and definitely not something to do in the summer!)

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! El Tovar looks pretty incredible. I think we might try to swing it when we go. Looks like I will need to be booking early!

when driving up drive through the Sedona/Oak Creek Canyon the views are amazing and stop and look at the shops in town in Sedona, they are all unique and have some interesting stuff.

Flagstaff check out downtown (Route 66 and San Fransisco). Snowbowl has some nice views but if your there during the winter I wouldn't suggest it unless you want to ski or snowboard. There is the crater and native american ruins that I can't think of what they are called right now that are really neat

On your way to the grand canyon also stop in Williams.

when driving up drive through the Sedona/Oak Creek Canyon the views are amazing and stop and look at the shops in town in Sedona, they are all unique and have some interesting stuff.

Flagstaff check out downtown (Route 66 and San Fransisco). Snowbowl has some nice views but if your there during the winter I wouldn't suggest it unless you want to ski or snowboard. There is the crater and native american ruins that I can't think of what they are called right now that are really neat

On your way to the grand canyon also stop in Williams.

Those would be Walnut Canyon and Sunset Crater National Monuments. There is also Wapatki National Monument. All good places to visit while in Flagstaff. Meteor Crater is further east down I-40, but it also an interesting visit.

Great thread! We are doing Grand Canyon + Disneyland next summer. Can I get some opinions on how much time to allow to see the Grand Canyon? The train from Williams sounds interesting but I would hate to feel rushed in order to get back to the train on time.

Barb E

Great thread! We are doing Grand Canyon + Disneyland next summer. Can I get some opinions on how much time to allow to see the Grand Canyon? The train from Williams sounds interesting but I would hate to feel rushed in order to get back to the train on time.

Barb E

At the Canyon, you can do the Chevy Chase jump out, look at it for 1 minute, and leave routine.

But that hardly does justice to it.

If you are just going to be at the South Rim, you should do some walking and exploring along the rim, and you should try to be there at different times of the day to see the lighting change.

Thank you! That's what I needed to know! We will drive ourselves so that we can take our time. This may be the only time we do this with our kids so I don't want to feel rushed.

Barb E

Barb E

You really need to do one sun rise and one sunset as well as hike a couple of trails that get you out into and at least partway down the Canyon. So a couple of days.

I stayed at Kachina twice. It is a nothing fancy, but clean hotel. If you get Canyon view room (i did both times) it is worth it!!

If you have kids...the Rangers have wonderful programs for the kids...you want at least two days at the canyon..3 is even better

good thread....I started reading trip advisor about this subject- how many hotels are right in the park area? I have no idea how to start here.....thinking of flying into Phoenix or Vegas,then driving to the canyon,how far is disneyland from the GC?

Here is the website for the lodges within the park. There are 5. However, getting reservations as early as possible is recommended.

http://www.usparklodging.com/grandcanyon/index.php

It's about a 4 1/2 hour drive from Vegas to the South Rim. It's just under 4 hours from Phoenix to the South Rim, without stops. It will take just over 7 hours to drive from the South Rim to Disneyland.

I just posted this info on another's person post, but it applies here so I'll cross-post it! :)

My opinion would be to take the 10 from Anahiem to Phx (you can stop to see the Joshua Tree National Park on the way), and then drive up the 17 to Sedona. Sedona is LOVELY, it is where we went on our honeymoon. Its definitely worth a stop by for lunch and some window shopping, if not staying over night. Tlaquepaque is a very fun little outdoor art/shopping area...great places to eat, lots to see, souvenirs, beautiful fine art, pretty buildings, etc. Or just walking up the boardwalk on downtown Main St. is more western-y, quaint shops with restaurants, etc. We took a Pink Jeep Tour to see the Indian Ruins and it was so fun and interesting. You get to see all the great scenery on the way. There are parks for picnicking, bike rentals, etc. Very romantic place. Our fav hotel is The Sedona Rouge...new, modern hotel, very chic and romantic. However, it is located in town, not out in the woods. There are some awesome cabins out in the woods if that's more your style.

From Sedona take the scenic Oak Creek Canyon Highway up to Flagstaff. It is the most beautiful drive in AZ. In Sept/Oct it will be gorgeous. Tons of Oak trees and winding streams the whole way up. Its really beautiful. From there you can go straight up to the Grand Canyon. I've always wanted to stay in one of the cabins there! :)

Also, along the way is Montezuma's Castle and Meteor Crater (if you're interested in those kind of things). You can also go the Observatory in Flagstaff, which is pretty neat, especially if you're into space stuff.

Meteor Crater is on I-40 east of Flagstaff, so not on the way to the Grand Canyon.

Well, its an hour detour, but if they're interested in that kind of stuff, it could be worth it if they're not on a tight schedule. I was just trying to think of some other interesting places in AZ.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter