Best places to rest and enjoy park atmosphere?

LeiaOfAlderaan

DIS Veteran
We have been to Disneyland many times but we have always made every trip go, go, go…rushing everywhere and wanting to be on rides all day (other than a standard afternoon break/nap in our hotel room).

We are taking a 5 day trip in July with Genie+ so I’d like to try a more leisurely pace this time. What are your favorite places to sit, enjoy a beverage or snack, and take in the atmosphere? (Preferably with shade)

Also, are there any places in downtown Disney to grab a cocktail and sit a while? (Family-friendly) We’ve only been to sit down restaurants in the past.

TIA for any advice!

We have been to Disneyland many times but we have always made every trip go, go, go…rushing everywhere and wanting to be on rides all day (other than a standard afternoon break/nap in our hotel room).

We are taking a 5 day trip in July with Genie+ so I’d like to try a more leisurely pace this time. What are your favorite places to sit, enjoy a beverage or snack, and take in the atmosphere? (Preferably with shade)

Also, are there any places in downtown Disney to grab a cocktail and sit a while? (Family-friendly) We’ve only been to sit down restaurants in the past.

TIA for any advice!
We’re going to try uva this trip.

I really enjoy outside portion of trader Sam’s. Especially after dark with the tiki lamps.

In DL we like to take a little break and eat some dessert from jolly holiday. Always a lot of seating there and if there is a parade you can get a fairly decent sight line on it without being in a swarm of people and also stay seated.

In CA we like the art of animation building.
We love the animation academy too. Nice and cool inside. I will miss the toy story zoetrope they used to have on display! (It is going to the academy of motion pictures museum)

I love the area in front of the NOS train station for relaxing.

The sound of the train coming and going.
The ambient music in the area is always upbeat and fun. Plus, later in the evenings, you are close enough to listen to the Royal St. Bachelors when they play in the French Market dining area.

Most importantly though, the view out over the Rivers of America are especially nice from that angle IMO.

So grab a bag of Beignets and a Mint Julip. Find a bench and relax.

I really enjoy outside portion of trader Sam’s. Especially after dark with the tiki lamps.
We took the monorail to DTD and walked over to the Disneyland Hotel at midday just to get a Dole Whip Float with rum at Tangaroa Terrace. The outdoor bar there serves all the same drinks and snacks as Trader Sam's (and has a similar outdoor seating area), but also with boozy dole whip floats! It was heavenly -- much quieter than DTD (still some noise from the pool area) and not very crowded.

Also second the Tropical Hideaway idea. I got bao from there, my sister got Bengal BBQ skewers, and we sat at a table right next to the river watching the Jungle Cruise boats go by and listening to Rosita crack jokes.

In DCA, we got drinks from Pym Tasting Lab (pretty limited selection) and stood at a tall table near the Avengers HQ building and watched all the characters walk by (Dora Milaje, Loki, Thor, Star-Lord, Gamora) and/or act out their shows (Captain America, Black Widow, Black Panther). If you can find a sit-down table at Pym's, so much the better.

I always like to share these two spots as I think they're great for the lands they are in.

The seating area for Edelweiss Snacks, under the Monorail line. It's in between the Matterhorn and It's a Small World, just off the pond that used to house the speed boat ride. It's a nice calm spot but you get to have multiple vantage points for Fantasyland.

The walkway that runs along the Rivers of America behind Harbor Galley. It leads from that restaurant to Critter Country. Has a wonderful view of the drop for Splash Mountain. I believe there's seating there as well.

Jolly Holiday is one of my favorite places to sit and relax.

River Belle Terrace over looking the river. Their food isn't my favorite anymore but I still love that outdoor patio area.

Those benches on main street near the flag pole.

Riding the Mark Twain around the river is really calm, too, and you can bring a drink or snack onboard with you.

The grand circle tour on the train.

The patio under the monorail line that mdmost mentioned. That area is really nice and I can usually find chairs there.

Ultimate fave is the lobby of the GCH - I could sit there for ages, and you can grab a drink or snacks from Hearthstone lounge - there is a nice seating area on the 3rd floor (if memory serves it is the 3rd) if the main area is crowded.

Love the underused spot by Matterhorn PP mentioned. Great churro break spot.

Also enjoy the combo of Mickey’s Philharmagic - Animation Academy - Turtle Talk in DCA for a good mid-day AC break. Also love the seating area outside Wine Country Trattoria.

Jolly Holiday is one of my favorite places to sit and relax.

River Belle Terrace over looking the river. Their food isn't my favorite anymore but I still love that outdoor patio area.

Those benches on main street near the flag pole.

Riding the Mark Twain around the river is really calm, too, and you can bring a drink or snack onboard with you.

The grand circle tour on the train.

The patio under the monorail line that mdmost mentioned. That area is really nice and I can usually find chairs there.
How does boarding the Mark Twain Riverboat work? Are you stuck waiting for it to go around if you don't time it right? They don't list any wait times for it.

How does boarding the Mark Twain Riverboat work? Are you stuck waiting for it to go around if you don't time it right? They don't list any wait times for it.

Yeah, if it's not there you need to wait for it.

Yes, if you see the Sailing Ship Columbia boarding passengers, get in line after it leaves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter