Best place to stay on pre-cruise night?

NOLA_Tink

Jambo, y'all!
We're flying into MCO the night before our cruise. (I'm not one to live on the wild side and chance a flight cancellation the day of, LOL.) It will be 2 adults & 2 toddlers. I'm thinking that MCO's Hyatt Regency would be the easiest place to stay because they will get our luggage from the room (for $10?). Plus, we'll arrive to Port Canaveral earlier and make it to the boat in time for lunch, as opposed to staying at WDW.

Am I wrong or should we stay at WDW for some other reason? (We'll be staying in a WDW family suite for 4 nights post-cruise.)

We're flying into MCO the night before our cruise. (I'm not one to live on the wild side and chance a flight cancellation the day of, LOL.) It will be 2 adults & 2 toddlers. I'm thinking that MCO's Hyatt Regency would be the easiest place to stay because they will get our luggage from the room (for $10?). Plus, we'll arrive to Port Canaveral earlier and make it to the boat in time for lunch, as opposed to staying at WDW.

Am I wrong or should we stay at WDW for some other reason? (We'll be staying in a WDW family suite for 4 nights post-cruise.)

Hyatt MCO is definitely easier and would get you to port sooner than booking a Pre cruise WDW stay.

I would do Hyatt MCO if it's just for the overnight. I wouldn't go to a WDW resort for that.

A couple things I'll point out:
1. Even if you get on the first bus in the morning to the port, you won't be onboard the ship until 11:30 at the earliest. The port opens for check in at 10:30, but arriving via DCL transfers you will be allowed to enter the terminal when the bus arrives. Boarding doesn't typically begin until around 11:15-11:30 with the Family of the Day, Concierge, and Platinum Castaway Club members first. Then they start calling boarding number. Your boarding number is tied to the Port Arrival Time you select when you do you online check in.

2. We've taken the DCL transfer from WDW resort, usually a 12:00/12:30 bus, and they're still serving lunch onboard when we got there. By the time the buses from the resorts start arriving it's after the big crush of people who want to be "first" and you usually can board directly after checking in. Rooms aren't ready for dropping off your carry on bags until 1:30, so keep that in mind.

The 10$ cost you mention was not ask both times we stayed there recently. We had booked our room through DCL.

We used to stay near PC but the Hyatt is so much easier. We love our meals at McCoy’s and the breakfast buffet is pretty decent.

We always stay at a WDW resort pre cruise but we don't fly we drive so getting to the port early is not an issue. If I did fly I would probably rent a car and still stay at WDW. It's just my preference.

If I fly in the night before, I stay at the Hampton Inn Gateway which is about 5 minutes from MCO with a free shuttle. It has ALWAYS been less expensive than the in-airport Hyatt AND it includes free breakfast. :)

For my upcoming trip, I'm staying at WDW, but I'm flying in on the first flight from LGA on American in the morning the day before, so I'll have pretty much all day at Epcot.

Hyatt MCO is a no brainer if you are ok with the cost. We flew in the night before, had dinner at the hotel and had a chance to walk around all of the shops. First bus left at 9 and we were at the terminal by 10:15.

I was going book the MCO Hyatt for our pre Cruise night during spring break. It was over $400/night! Booked the Holiday Inn Express instead for about $100.

However, we did stay at the MCO Hyatt AFTER a cruise - we got a day pass for $80-90 I think. Our flight wasn’t until later in the evening. It was a very nice comfortable room - just not worth $400 for an overnight

I was going book the MCO Hyatt for our pre Cruise night during spring break. It was over $400/night! Booked the Holiday Inn Express instead for about $100.

However, we did stay at the MCO Hyatt AFTER a cruise - we got a day pass for $80-90 I think. Our flight wasn’t until later in the evening. It was a very nice comfortable room - just not worth $400 for an overnight
When booking through DCL, you usually are protected from those kinds of price surges from Hyatt. We usually pay 229$.

We ended up going down 2 days earlier due to getting a cheaper flight. We decided to do WDW since the cost of 2 nights at CBR was less and had transportation included. We didn’t mind the later transport to the ship since the kids enjoyed the pool at the resort before we left and we got right on the ship with no wait when we got there around 1 or so.

We also did 4 days after. So nice to get off the ship and know your vacation is not over yet! Have a great time!!

Book through DCL directly. Any quote I found on my own was ~400. We're paying 230 through Disney.

Y'all are amazing! I emailed my Dreams Unlimited agent & was able to get a DCL rate at the Hyatt MCO for $230 (tax included)! I am SOOOOO excited!!! I kept toying with the idea of splurging for one night at a WDW concierge room, but I know my mom will want to be one of the very first people on the first bus. (I can't wait to tell her next month because keeping this secret is KILLING me, haha!) Thanks for the helpful input!

Last edited:
We booked the Hyatt Regency at MCO for cash and points, 6000 points transferred from Chase and $75 is a steal!

Y'all are amazing! I emailed my Dreams Unlimited agent & was able to get a DCL rate at the Hyatt MCO for $230 (tax included)! I am SOOOOO excited!!! I kept toying with the idea of splurging for one night at a WDW concierge room, but I know my mom will want to be one of the very first people on the first bus. (I can't wait to tell her next month because keeping this secret is KILLING me, haha!) Thanks for the helpful input!
In that case, know that the first bus leaves at 9:30. People start showing up at 8:30-8:45 depending on the sailing. I’ve seen a line up and also only a few people, so it is not always the same. They start handing out places on busses at 9.

I kept toying with the idea of splurging for one night at a WDW concierge room, but I know my mom will want to be one of the very first people on the bus.
That's what I did last year before my 7 night cruise. One night Grand Floridian concierge. It was expensive but so worth it. They had a 20% sale so that justified it.

We loved our night before at the Hyatt in 2016! The only reason we are staying at WDW this next time is we have DVC points so the room doesn't cost.

In that case, know that the first bus leaves at 9:30. People start showing up at 8:30-8:45 depending on the sailing. I’ve seen a line up and also only a few people, so it is not always the same. They start handing out places on busses at 9.
Is this a change? In my experience the DCL transfer desk opens at 9:00, with the first bus leaving as soon as it's full (usually by about 9:10-9:15). Subsequent buses depart when full, or every 20 minutes (whichever is first).

And people start congregating in the area anytime after 6:00 (when the early flights start arriving).

I'm sort of thread jacking here but we are taking our first Disney cruise in October. Will be flying into MCO. I had planned to fly in the night before and Uber to a hotel in Port Canaveral (WDW is out, as we were just there this past June and DH is kinda burnt out on it). Is there an advantage of Hyatt MCO over heading on over to Port Canaveral? There are 3 of us and comfortable with Uber and had just assumed it would be cheaper than Disney Transport (although I secretly think I would love Disney transport and the magic starting with transportation and making luggage easier to deal with)

I'm sort of thread jacking here but we are taking our first Disney cruise in October. Will be flying into MCO. I had planned to fly in the night before and Uber to a hotel in Port Canaveral (WDW is out, as we were just there this past June and DH is kinda burnt out on it). Is there an advantage of Hyatt MCO over heading on over to Port Canaveral? There are 3 of us and comfortable with Uber and had just assumed it would be cheaper than Disney Transport (although I secretly think I would love Disney transport and the magic starting with transportation and making luggage easier to deal with)
Just curious, how much is the Uber?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter