Best Pizza in Walt Disney World

Central FL is definitely not known for good pizza. We have not found any place I thought was any more than okay for the area, let alone WDW.
We did have a good flat bread pizza at Urban Flats (not on WDW property). However the service was so bad I can't see we would ever return for anything other than carry out.

Being from the NE as well, the main reason for the deplorable pizza selection is because of the water. The dough makes the pizza. Anyone can doctor a sauce. My pizza guy in upstate says that he couldn't mimic his dough across the Hudson river in Albany because of the different water source. California pizza is popular because water is delivered from NY to California.

Being from the NE as well, the main reason for the deplorable pizza selection is because of the water. The dough makes the pizza. Anyone can doctor a sauce. My pizza guy in upstate says that he couldn't mimic his dough across the Hudson river in Albany because of the different water source. California pizza is popular because water is delivered from NY to California.

Water doesn't make dough rise. Yeast does. I've heard the "it's the water" explanation for years, and I don't buy it. The best pizza I've ever had, and arguably the best pizza in the US, was at Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix, AZ. The owner doesn't use "imported from NY" water. He is a fanatic about his ingredients--he makes his own dough, sauce and cheese daily--and it shows in the end product.

The main problem with WDW pizza is mass production. The doughs are machine produced and pre-made (time does not allow for hand tossing the dough). The sauce does not taste of fresh tomatoes and is too thick. They use way too much cheese.

make sure you order more than you need, because if you're like me, the grocery store won't happen until the next day.....and what else would you have for breakfast? :lmao:

have fun!

I LOVE cold pizza for breakfast. Heard a cute folk song on Prarie Dog Companion a long time ago:

I love cold pizza for breakfast
In a pinch cold spaghetti will do
But there's nothing I like better then eating cold pizza
in the morning....with you.

Back to the pizza question. I had a yummy breakfast pizza at Rainforest Cafe (AK). Big enough for two. I see they also have "normal" daytime pizzas on their menu, but I can't vouch for those. :)

Water doesn't make dough rise. Yeast does. I've heard the "it's the water" explanation for years, and I don't buy it. The best pizza I've ever had, and arguably the best pizza in the US, was at Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix, AZ. The owner doesn't use "imported from NY" water. He is a fanatic about his ingredients--he makes his own dough, sauce and cheese daily--and it shows in the end product.

The main problem with WDW pizza is mass production. The doughs are machine produced and pre-made (time does not allow for hand tossing the dough). The sauce does not taste of fresh tomatoes and is too thick. They use way too much cheese.

Of course water doesn't make dough rise, the yeast makes the dough rise, but there is water int he dough and chemicals in certain waters cause a reaction with the yeast, therefore causing it not to rise.

I agree with the WDW bad pizza is mass production - but how would you explain my mother's South Florida cooking vs. her Chicago cooking? :confused3

She won't even make pizza in FL anymore because its soo horrible, her spaghetti sauce isn't up to par either, still good, don't get me wrong, but nothing like we get at home.

Of course water doesn't make dough rise, the yeast makes the dough rise, but there is water int he dough and chemicals in certain waters cause a reaction with the yeast, therefore causing it not to rise.

Yeast reacts with sugar, not chemicals in the water. The yeast converts sugar into alcohol and CO2. CO2 makes the dough rise, and the alcohol adds flavor.

My favourite pizza topping is pineapple and I can never find it in USA, oh well guess I can't have everything.

I don't know about onsite, but have you asked for pineapple at offsite pizza locations. Most of the big chains, which I wouldn't recommend, offer pineapple as a topping. You may want to ask next time, even if it's not on the menu. :)

As for the pizza debate, we like what we grow up eating. It like mom's cooking. Most of us think noone cooks as good as mom (If mom cooks, that is.;) ) Personally, I don't think any pizzas are as good as the natives think they are. It makes sense that a native thinks they have the best pizza. It's what their taste buds are accustomed to. That doesn't necessarily mean non-natives will also think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Most likely, they'll wonder what all the hypes about. As someone who doesn't reside in any of the "best pizza ever" locations, my favorite would be California pizza, based on creativity alone. At WDW, I choose restaurants that offer what's considered "gourmet pizza" or flatbreads. (BTW, anyone else think the term "gourmet pizza" is an oxymoron? :rolleyes1 )

I am not from Chicago, but have to agree, I don't like Disney pizza either. IMO, the pizza at Pizza Planet is edible, and I'm sad to say that's the best I've had.

We don't like any of the WDW pizzas.

We found Flipper's Pizza off-site. Yummy!

They have several locations. We have been told they would be starting to deliver to WDW. I sure hope so.

Flipper's is our must-do stop for lunch from MCO to our resort. They have a website, so you can locate them.

Born and raised in NY, I don't prefer deep dish. I agree that the pizza at WDW is not great, but I really do like the pizza that they used to serve on the kiddie buffet at 1900 Park Faire. I haven't had it for a couple of years, and I hope it hasn't changed. The sauce was not too thick and sweet--just right and tangy! I wouldn't pay a buffet fee for the kiddie pizza, though. But, if I'm there.....!
Lucy's Mom

Yeast reacts with sugar, not chemicals in the water. The yeast converts sugar into alcohol and CO2. CO2 makes the dough rise, and the alcohol adds flavor.

We can agree to disagree, sure you have the scientific breakdown, but all I know is that my mother uses the same EXACT ingredients for her dough (pizza and bread) that she uses in Chicago and Delray Beach, and her Florida dough does not turn out.

We're talking Pillsbury Flour and Fleishman's yeast (both name and national brands).

I was looking at menus for Hollywood studios..

was wondering if anyone has tried Catalina Eddies? I saw they had a pizza & salad combo. We are on the ddp and liked that they had carrot cake for dessert...

Anyone try Catalina Eddies or should we just go over to Pizza planet for their combo and forget about the carrotcake?

We can agree to disagree, sure you have the scientific breakdown, but all I know is that my mother uses the same EXACT ingredients for her dough (pizza and bread) that she uses in Chicago and Delray Beach, and her Florida dough does not turn out.

We're talking Pillsbury Flour and Fleishman's yeast (both name and national brands).

Actually, maybe it's the Florida humidity...

I use the same recipe for pizza dough that I used in the San Francisco Bay Area, here 20 min from WDW.

I do use a bread machine to make it so that may be it. Turns out exactly the same as back home. JMO:thumbsup2

I was looking at menus for Hollywood studios..

was wondering if anyone has tried Catalina Eddies? I saw they had a pizza & salad combo. We are on the ddp and liked that they had carrot cake for dessert...

Anyone try Catalina Eddies or should we just go over to Pizza planet for their combo and forget about the carrotcake?

I've had both. I'm pretty sure that the pizza is the same at both places.

I agree with you. Just recently on the Food Channel (I can't remember which program), a NY pizza owner ran a taste test of LA, Chicago and NY water. The taste testers all noticed a difference in the taste of water. They then made three NY Pizzas using all three types of water. All the tasters said that they tasted the difference and could pick out which NY pizza was made with NY water.

It was unanimous decide water does make the difference in cooking!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter