• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Options for 12 of us?

amscherm

"All your dreams can come true if you have the cou
So we are planning a family trip for my son's high school graduation in 2021 (yes I know it is a ways out - but I am planner and need to start looking into options because no one else will). It will more than likely be in June.

There will be 12 of us and we REALLY like Wilderness Lodge. So... would it be possible to book the Grand Villa at Copper Creek, or is that only for DVC members? If not, what other options should I look at? I am thinking we would all like to stay together - but not necessarily a requirement. What would be our other options at WL? What about other resorts?

Thanks for the input.

Just keep in mind Wilderness Lodge is really hard to book last couple of years. 2010-2016 we were able to book in April for a nov trip. Last two years, we booked our trip while there, so 12 months ahead and had issues getting certain types of rooms. As for 12 people ( we had 8). We all needed our own rooms to have some space after touring together. We left mornings open for each family then got together from 10-4 pm and evenings on own, so not too much together time. . I would look at several rooms in a moderate or the new resort opening between Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge.

Just keep in mind Wilderness Lodge is really hard to book last couple of years. 2010-2016 we were able to book in April for a nov trip. Last two years, we booked our trip while there, so 12 months ahead and had issues getting certain types of rooms. As for 12 people ( we had 8). We all needed our own rooms to have some space after touring together. We left mornings open for each family then got together from 10-4 pm and evenings on own, so not too much together time. . I would look at several rooms in a moderate or the new resort opening between Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge.

What is the new resort that is opening between FW & WL? When does it open?

So we are planning a family trip for my son's high school graduation in 2021 (yes I know it is a ways out - but I am planner and need to start looking into options because no one else will). It will more than likely be in June.

There will be 12 of us and we REALLY like Wilderness Lodge. So... would it be possible to book the Grand Villa at Copper Creek, or is that only for DVC members? If not, what other options should I look at? I am thinking we would all like to stay together - but not necessarily a requirement. What would be our other options at WL? What about other resorts?

Thanks for the input.

You can book a Grand Villa at Copper Creek through a DVC owner looking to rent their points or through a points broker, such as David's Vacation Club Rentals. Disney will also rent DVC units like a hotel room.

With a large group, things can get complicated with many factors at play such as sleeping arrangments, people coming and going, and budget that you would have to consider. You may find a Grand Villa is not the right fit.

Planning early is a good strategy.

Sorry it’s opening a little late for you,
Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge, which is a new “nature-inspired” resort for the former River Country water park location along the shore of Bay Lake between Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness.

Set to open in 2022, this Deluxe Resort will “be a celebration of Walt Disney’s lifelong love and respect for nature” with more than 900 hotel rooms and Disney Vacation Club villas.

You can book a Grand Villa at Copper Creek through a DVC owner looking to rent their points or through a points broker, such as David's Vacation Club Rentals. Disney will also rent DVC units like a hotel room.

With a large group, things can get complicated with many factors at play such as sleeping arrangments, people coming and going, and budget that you would have to consider. You may find a Grand Villa is not the right fit.

Planning early is a good strategy.

Thanks... That's what I was wondering if I could book it outside of DVC... I'll look into a points broker or DVC Owner as well to see if that option is worth it for us...

If the grand villa isn't available, you could consider a 2-bedroom plus a studio. Just keep in mind, some people will be sleeping on pull-outs in that scenario. If CCV isn't available, you could also look into BRV. Perhaps another option - book 3 standard CL rooms or 2 deluxe CL rooms in WL. You could then all use the CL lounge to hang out together.

Thanks... That's what I was wondering if I could book it outside of DVC... I'll look into a points broker or DVC Owner as well to see if that option is worth it for us...
Know that in general DVC Villa Rentals are non refundable. You need to book 11-7 months in advance and generally cannot change dates, unit size etc.

Renting is a possibility but finding an owner with a sufficient amount of points t make the reservation might be challenging. A CCV GV goes for 788 points for 6 nights/7 days in June. Many owners just don’t have that many points or they would need to use 3 years worth of points to do it. A broker will charge more than $14K for it. And it will be non refundable and the brokers generally do not offer a payment plan.

Disney might have some nights available for cash bookings if they acquire the room thru breakage. You can count on it costing even more than what a broker charges to rent thru a DVC owner but their payment and cancellation policies are much more lenient.

Given all of that, you should also consider the sleeping arrangements. A CCV GV has 3 bedrooms. Two bedrooms have two queen beds. One bedroom has a king bed. There is also a sleeper sofa in the living room. Who sleeps where and with whom? Just because the villa can accommodate 12 people, it doesn’t mean it will accommodate the 12 of you.

@Marionnette’s post says it all.

Another problem with renting a villa of that size and expense for several families is that people are sometimes all in for the trip in the early planning stages, and then back out when they realize the cost, or because someone’s father-in-law is suddenly taken ill, or Billy’s little league team makes the tournament. This is a common refrain on the DVC boards. And then the remaining group is stuck with a much bigger, more expensive villa than they need.

I’d recommend that you at least consider having each family book their own room. If you want a gathering place, one of the families could get a one bedroom villa.

If the grand villa isn't available, you could consider a 2-bedroom plus a studio. Just keep in mind, some people will be sleeping on pull-outs in that scenario. If CCV isn't available, you could also look into BRV. Perhaps another option - book 3 standard CL rooms or 2 deluxe CL rooms in WL. You could then all use the CL lounge to hang out together.

Thanks for the option... I'll look into the Club Level rooms and see if they may better fit our needs...

I would definitely NOT want 12 people staying together. You might think you do, but I'm not sure it'd be as peaceful or fun as you think!

I don't know if you can book a grand villa through Disney, I never see them available online to book, but it might be something you'd need to call. What is the make up of the 12 people? That is a lot to cram into one room. Having some space can be good. I've stayed in villas many times, but never rented points. It makes me nervous having to pay all up front and having it nonrefundable. If you book through Disney a room only villa you can cancel up to 5 days before and get all your money back. If its a few different families all going together it would be a good idea for them to each book a room themselves, that way if someone can't go and has to back out you aren't left with handling it.

I would highly recommend that each family make their own arrangements. Maybe the same resort but I would not recommend all staying in one spot, Given that, to house 12 people I would rent an off-site house. There are plenty of options.

I don't know if you can book a grand villa through Disney, I never see them available online to book, but it might be something you'd need to call. What is the make up of the 12 people? That is a lot to cram into one room. Having some space can be good. I've stayed in villas many times, but never rented points. It makes me nervous having to pay all up front and having it nonrefundable. If you book through Disney a room only villa you can cancel up to 5 days before and get all your money back. If its a few different families all going together it would be a good idea for them to each book a room themselves, that way if someone can't go and has to back out you aren't left with handling it.

We always book with cash through Disney and, you are correct, we have always had to call in to check availability on the grand villas. SSR seems to have the most availability. Although for 2020, it seems with CCV, at least, they have begun to list the 3-bedroom grand villas online.

I personally would not stay with 12 family members in one space... to many needs, and opinions, then throw in all the different personality... not a good combo... plus I would not want to sort through all of that....

I would let everyone pick the resort first... and go from there.... This way everyone is responsible for their own room, payments and such... and that each family can have some time together... as well if there are any issues within the family that they can keep it to themselves... We like our space, and privacy... When we travel with DD, DSIL, and Sweet DGS.... we book 2 rooms... it really helps keep me out of their business... :thumbsup2 8-)..

I strongly suggest checking out David's DVC... they are highly praise on the board...and have nothing but great reviews...

As well I would look at getting the DDP with a group that big... that way everyone can enjoy all the same dinning, and it is paid for in advance... We did a large family and friends trip... only one of the families did not get the dinning plan... he said it was to much... and they ended up not eating TS meals with us... because of the price for character meals and the Epcot meals we planned... which did cause some hard feelings, and cause some awkwardness at meal times....

We always book with cash through Disney and, you are correct, we have always had to call in to check availability on the grand villas. SSR seems to have the most availability. Although for 2020, it seems with CCV, at least, they have begun to list the 3-bedroom grand villas online.
Good to know you can book those through cash, maybe one day I'll do that. I don't really need all that space though lol.

What is the makeup of these 12 people?

As someone who is planning for a 10 person family trip, it's best to let each family unit figure out their budget and go from there...and a couple people who are gung ho now, may get cold feet when it's time to commit.

WL can be super hard to get, so every person who is responsible for their family unit needs to be on top of things when they book.

I am our family planner and for 12 people I would hesitate to even attempt to put that may in one space. Personally, before I would book I would ask every family unit what their comfort level in is terms of budget and then move forward with that.

My crew can share space, for the most part, however there are a few members (my DS and DDIL) who really need to have their own room. I mean their own room, not a space in a two bdrm suite, no matter how large it is, and we reciprocate that feeling. We like traveling together however my DS needs to escape on his own for a while, and we prefer that he does when he needs to. we tend to book a multi room suite for a bunch of us, and a room in the same resort for him and DDIL. We could all manage for a short stay but after two nights there would be a mutiny.

We do like OKW a lot if you want a DVC resort. The spaces are large, airy and bright, and the resort is stunning.

If you are not used to traveling together, I suggest you consider rooms for every family.

I am planning a trip in January for a group of 11. I was trying to figure out a villa configuration that would work, but in the end most of the options had too many people sleeping on pullout couches. We didn’t have a need for the kitchen either and probably won’t spend a ton of time in the room. So we went with 3 rooms at a deluxe and are hoping at least two rooms will be connecting and we’ll plan to spend a lot of time together at the pool, in the lounge, or on our balconies. I thought about CL too but it was hard to justify the extra cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter