• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Option of When to Go

natfrac

Mouseketeer
I'm trying to plan a big family trip--adult kids, adult step kids and DH. I realize there's no slow season any more, so I'm trying to pick the optimal time of year for all of us considering crowds (including tour groups), usual ride closures, and DVC room points. I've narrowed it down to last week of January/first week of February or last week of February/first week of March. I thought about early-mid December, but it would be tough for some of the kids to get time of off work.
Our last trip at the end of January felt really crowded--not so much in terms of long lines, but the walkways felt packed. Going Feb/March might avoid some of the tour groups, but rooms are considerably more points. Since we rent the points, I can help the kids with the extra room expense if Feb/March is the better time.
Any thoughts?

Last week of Jan/beginning of Feb is when we've always gone. Weather is cooler, but let crowded (at least it was). Most nights park closes at 9. But AK is very nice that time of year.
I wouldn't go in the fall due to parties closing MK early 4 days a week

We used to love the middle of September but now they have the food and wine festival and Halloween stuff starting this early so I think we will start looking at mid late August if prices still go down around then. Not my favorite time of year bc it is still pretty hot but I like smaller crowds (if there is one anymore). I’ll probably have to do a whole new set of research to see low seasons for our 2019 trip.

We went in mid-September in 2016. Crowds were not bad... busy, yes, but only waited in long lines once or twice thanks to fast pass. However, it was HOT and rainy. Our night at Epcot was completely rained out and it rained every other day we were there too. Temps were above 100 degrees.

We are planning our next trip for the first week of December to avoid rain and heat and to enjoy holiday decor. I went during December SEVERAL years ago and it was great.

I'm trying to plan a big family trip--adult kids, adult step kids and DH. I realize there's no slow season any more, so I'm trying to pick the optimal time of year for all of us considering crowds (including tour groups), usual ride closures, and DVC room points. I've narrowed it down to last week of January/first week of February or last week of February/first week of March. I thought about early-mid December, but it would be tough for some of the kids to get time of off work.
Our last trip at the end of January felt really crowded--not so much in terms of long lines, but the walkways felt packed. Going Feb/March might avoid some of the tour groups, but rooms are considerably more points. Since we rent the points, I can help the kids with the extra room expense if Feb/March is the better time.
Any thoughts?

Not sure why everyone is talking about Sept and the heat. Did you edit a post that included Sept at some point?

ANYWAY...I like the Feb/Mar option. Weather will be a little warmer, or at least it should be. It's just before some of the spring break crowds. Most of the "winter" refurbs are done. I don't know...it just sounds better to me.

Not sure why everyone is talking about Sept and the heat. Did you edit a post that included Sept at some point?
I'm not sure either, as September was never an option :)

Thanks for the comment on Feb/March. I'm thinking that might be the best option, even if rooms will cost more.

I think it's a tossup with crowds- have you checked the calendars? There have been large groups/comp teams in both January and February when I've been several times, not always. My favorite crowd times are mid February around President's Day - we enjoy lower humidity and to us the crowds are there but it's not super high level- and June and/or mid-August (yes still hot but lower crowds for sure). Of times you mentioned, I would choose late January/early February- yes it will still be crowded but less chance of spring breakers.

We just got back from a trip the first week of March. I thought that was an ideal time. From the reports I've seen, the spring break crowds seem to kick in at the end of the first full week of March. We were there Sun-Fri and got out just in time to avoid the rush. We hadn't been to WDW since 2008 so I am not in a position to compare it to other trips, but we were able to get in everything we wanted to do. If you could go the week before (Feb/March week) that, it could be even better. The average temps around then are in the 70's and it's not so humid so fewer of those pop up thunderstorms, but you never know. This year, February was hot but it was pleasantly cool (some said too cool) the week were were there.

4. 11:30: Back to the Hub for Move It Shake It Street Party-- anywhere on Hub okay?

The floats go down Main Street, then circle the hub and stop while the DJ plays music and people dance with the characters. You can't miss it. We actually got stuck in the hub. We were walking toward Fantasyland, through the central hub, stopped to take some pictures, the floats came around and the CM wouldn't let us cross the street for a few minutes until the floats stopped and they invited people out to dance.

We’ve done the last 3 years during that last week of feb/first week of March time and absolutely love it! It’s been hot every year and we enjoy that (considering we are from the Midwest and have snow at that time). It never has rained all three years for us at that time of year and that’s great. Crowds weren’t bad at all this year until the first weekend in March because there is a dance competition that weekend.

We usually go in October. It's busy but manageable. If you do one of the Halloween parties, most rides have short waits all night. On party days, MK crowds are pretty moderate. When the party starts, you can go to your hotel early or park hop somewhere else. Next year, a lot of people will put off their trip to wait for Star Wars Land. So if you visit before the grand opening, crowds should be pretty light.

We went in mid-September in 2016. Crowds were not bad... busy, yes, but only waited in long lines once or twice thanks to fast pass. However, it was HOT and rainy. Our night at Epcot was completely rained out and it rained every other day we were there too. Temps were above 100 degrees.

We are planning our next trip for the first week of December to avoid rain and heat and to enjoy holiday decor. I went during December SEVERAL years ago and it was great.
The warmest temperature recorded at MCO in September 2016 was 94 on the 19th and 24th.

We were there during both of those periods. Jan/Feb was mobbed. The first of this month (Mar) we found the crowds to be much more manageable.

The last we went end of February/beginning of March, the weather was perfect. Crowd-wise, both times will feel crowded to you, though.

My favorite time is the end of October. The Halloween party is my favorite party and the weather is perfect. Pleasant and not humid and cooler at night. It gets a little crowded on the weekends with Food and Wine but we always try to have the majority of our trip be on weekdays when kids are in school!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter