Best of Florida

Chax

Earning My Ears
Dears,

I'm not sure this is the correct thread, but hey-ho here I go.
We are planning this 2 week Disney World trip with our kids and parents.
Since my parents love to travel, but never chose the US before and have lots of time on their hands.... I advised them to fly in 2 weeks or so before the rest of us and explore Florida for 2 weeks and then join us for the 2 weeks of pure magic!

They like the idea but prefer everything to be planned out for them.
I don't mind the planning (at all...) but I have no idea what the must-see places are for (active) 60+ folks. The idea is flying to Miami and then climb up to Orlando by car (or further up if there's fun stuff there, and then come down to Orlando again).

So please hit me with your best tips!

Greetings,
Chax

Crystal River Florida rivers are home to manatee in the winter months. They can do a manatee swim or go over to Homosassa Springs wildlife preserve to observe the manatee. We went at feeding time at 3 in the afternoon and saw tons of manatee in the river.

We drove the from Miami through the Everglades to the coastline up to Crystal Springs to visit "Old Florida".

If they like to swim in the ocean, Siesta Key and Clearwater Beaches were incredible, warm water swimming. Tarpon Springs was a nice area to tour for the day and enjoy some Greek food. So much to do along that gulf coast!

Our "must see" Florida includes St Augustine. A nice historic town with lots to see and do. It isn't too big, but I would probably suggest a 2 or 3 day itinerary to get it all in. A little further North for the history buffs would be Savannah GA. Still an easy drive back down to Orlando. Agree with most of the PP's on time at the beach Siesta Key/Sarasota is a favorite, and on viewing wildlife in the Everglades, or Manatee (our favorite spot is Blue Springs State Park).

If they are golfers or professional sports lovers, there are ample opportunities to add that to the itinerary. Also, touring the Florida Keys is great fun, but not for a while right now until recovery from Irma is over.

Depends on the timing of your trip. Most of Florida recovered relatively quickly from Hurricane Irma, but there are areas still rebuilding. For example, I'd recommend they spend some time in the Florida Keys but only after the recovery effort is complete. We love the upper keys-- Islamorada, Key Largo. Definitely do a glass bottom boat in John Pennekamp State Park.

See the Art Deco architecture on South Beach. Eat stone crabs at Joe's Stone Crabs (only if they are in season 10/15-5/15).
A hidden South FL treasure is Morikami Gardens in Delray Beach.
Daytona Beach
Agree with PPs about St. Augustine, Space Center, and Everglades National Park.
Also, really explore the Everglades at Billie Swamp Safari-- airboat rides are a quintessential experience.
Finally, find a beach and relax. There's miles of coastline. Pick one that really appeals (West Coast?).

where are your parents coming from - if Europe - lots of them think the US is the same size - it is bigger. Florida to get from Miami to Ga is a long drive in itself. So I would stick with Florida. depends upon what they like - camping, boating, recreation - jugging, biking, tennis, golf, swimming, etc - there is a long list - if they are flying in Miami - Miami area itself would be entertaining for a week. that say would go with Tampa over Miami - Miami is definitely for the younger crowd. Tampa has lots of things to do.

https://www.visittampabay.com/

closer to WDW
http://www.kissimmee.org/visitors/visitor-s-center

http://www.visitorlando.com/about-us/

st augustine - there are a bunch of beaches along the way - most got hurt by the hurricane - others are still having trouble with flooding
https://www.visitstaugustine.com/street-view-photo/visitors-center

Thanks for the ideas! I will look into it.
We will be there in October 2018, so still a long time to go but then again I have no idea of the extend of damage done by Irma.
:worried:

Another vote for St. Augustine. Have them stay "in town" by the historic area so they don't have to drive/park there. Even if a longer walk there are many "car services".

Look at Hilton Bayfront, Doubletree Hotel (our favorite in town) and lots of Bed & Breakfasts. A tour/pickup service is www.exploretoursandpickups.com. There is also several on/off trolleys that they can use to see the sites.

I am here now and everything in town is fully in service and operating. 2 hurricanes didn't slow the town down.

My parents are retired and they go to Florida here and there.

They like Naples a lot--just to hang out and stay.
They really enjoyed the Everglades (there were on a tour through there).
Space Center/Cocoa Beach area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter