• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Month for Cruise?

justme0729

DIS Veteran
What do you think the best month is for weather on a cruise? We want to be able to enjoy Castaway Cay with warm enough water but not be too hot and not be cold when the wind is blowing on the ship. Would it be best to Christmas break, late march/early april, or early June?

That is a very hard question to answer, just because so much of it is subjective. What is warm water? I ask because the coldest recorded water temperature in the area of Castaway Cay is 73. Is that warm or is that cool? Our gym keeps the outdoor pool at 72 degrees in the winter, and I swim year round and I am never cold. But in past threads here, some consider that too cool to swim.
We were on Castaway Cay in January and the water temperature was fine. It was a bit cool when you were out of the water because if was only like 75 degrees. Of course we warmed up because what we did next was rent bikes and take a brisk bike ride in our wet swim suits.

We like to go sometime in Jan-March. Mainly to get away from the dreary freezing winter weather from where we live. Last year at this time we were on the Fantasy, it was high 70s at CC. The water was cool at first, but still enjoyable.

We've gone in late December for the past 3 years. We love going then as:
  • We're escaping the winter cold at home,
  • Winter is the dry season in the Bahamas, so there is less chance of rain than in the summer,
  • The weather is warm but not brutally hot in the Bahamas at this time, so water activities are very enjoyable, but so are land activities like bike-riding,
  • The water at Castaway Cay feels chilly at first, but is easy to adjust to (& because the air is warm, it feels just fine to get out of the water)
  • There is less chance of encountering "sea lice" (marine larvae which are not really lice but can cause temporary skin irritation) in the winter than in spring or early summer
  • The ship and Castaway Cay are decorated beautifully for Christmas.

We went in February 2017 and were suppose to be at Castaway Cay on the 15th and we couldn't dock because the weather was so bad, the captain tried 3 times before they announces the weather was too bad to dock.

Keep clear of the Hurricane season, from June to the end of November. Weather down here, and in the Bahamas is hot and sticky and the water feels like a warm bath. I live in south Florida and we prefer to cruise in the wintertime. I'm used to warm ocean water and the last time we went to Castaway Cay (during November a couple years ago), I was wearing a lightweight short sleeved wetsuit to snorkel and a beanie to keep my head warm and I would suppose the water temperature was about 78 or so. My son and son-in-law were with me, and we swam for way over an hour, visiting all the markers in the snorkeling area. Those of us who live down here become WWW's (warm water weenies). I rode the Aqua Duck with my one grandson, and the water in it was about 66 degrees. Going down the first little hill, the water came up and slapped me in the middle of the back, and I had a muscle spasm that hurt for the rest of the cruise. See? WWW!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter