Best good neighbor hotels + summer 2023 dates?

abidale

DIS Veteran
Hi, all!! My fiance and I are having our honeymoon in Aulani at the end of May 2023. We are then going to fly to CA for a few days to do Disneyland for both of our first times (though I am a seasoned WDW vet.) Two big questions:

1. What are your experiences with the Good Neighbor hotels/resorts? Do you have a favorite and why?
2. When should we expect to see Disneyland open booking for packages for Summer 2023? Surprised they're not open already, but I'm sure that's normal!

TIA!

Hi, all!! My fiance and I are having our honeymoon in Aulani at the end of May 2023. We are then going to fly to CA for a few days to do Disneyland for both of our first times (though I am a seasoned WDW vet.) Two big questions:

1. What are your experiences with the Good Neighbor hotels/resorts? Do you have a favorite and why?
2. When should we expect to see Disneyland open booking for packages for Summer 2023? Surprised they're not open already, but I'm sure that's normal!

TIA!

On good neighbor hotels:
We have stayed at 2 good neighbor hotels.

Park Vue Inn - 4 night stay, loved it. Being across the street was amazing and literally at the park gates within 5 minutes. Closer then Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier Hotel.

Motel 6 - 1 night stay since we landed late and we were going to be moving to Grand Californian the next morning. But yeah, Motel 6, no just dont do it.

I second the poster above on the Motel 6 being a NO. Stayed there a couple weeks ago. Not the worst place I've ever seen, but do not recommend, especially on a honeymoon!

I think the other three Good Neighbor hotels I've stayed at are the Suncoast Park, the Doubletree Suites on Harbor (nice big two room suites!) and the Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim/Garden Grove on Harbor. I would recommend all three of them without hesitation. None of them are within comfortable walking distance from the park (for me, but if you REALLY love walking, well...), but good for a short and cheap Uber/Lyft ride away. I'm actually staying at the Suncoast again on my next trip in August. (Of those three, the HGI is my least favorite, but it's still one I would go to again.)

Im blessed to frequent Disneyland weekly since I am a local. I have stayed at a few good neighbor hotels over the years, most recently new years eve at the Anaheim Marriott convention center. Ive also stayed at the Anaheim Hilton by the convention center. The thing is I LOVE hotels, I HATE motels. So all those places that are right across the street from Disneyland are motels. The Marriot and Hilton are real hotels but they are a 15 minute walk from the parks so I choose to stay there (other then the Disneyland hotel and Grand Californian which are REALLY expensive).
In addition, everytime Ive stayed at the Marriott, I was able to get it for $80-$100 a night through Hotwire. Hilton pops up on there as well.

So if you want that hotel feel, I’d go for the Hilton (my first choice) or Marriott (2nd choice) by the convention center. These are really affordable. If you want to splurge more, the Westin would be my first choice , then the JW Marriott.

Skip the little motels right by Disneyland. They feel cheap but are often more expensive then the Marriotts and Hiltons.

Im blessed to frequent Disneyland weekly since I am a local. I have stayed at a few good neighbor hotels over the years, most recently new years eve at the Anaheim Marriott convention center. Ive also stayed at the Anaheim Hilton by the convention center. The thing is I LOVE hotels, I HATE motels. So all those places that are right across the street from Disneyland are motels. The Marriot and Hilton are real hotels but they are a 15 minute walk from the parks so I choose to stay there (other then the Disneyland hotel and Grand Californian which are REALLY expensive).
In addition, everytime Ive stayed at the Marriott, I was able to get it for $80-$100 a night through Hotwire. Hilton pops up on there as well.

So if you want that hotel feel, I’d go for the Hilton (my first choice) or Marriott (2nd choice) by the convention center. These are really affordable. If you want to splurge more, the Westin would be my first choice , then the JW Marriott.

Skip the little motels right by Disneyland. They feel cheap but are often more expensive then the Marriotts and Hiltons.

Thank you to all of y'all for your advice!!!

DVacationer, that's amazing that you are able to get to Disneyland weekly. That's a life goal right there!

We ended up booking a room at the Marriott Suites. We are so very excited!

My family have stayed at several Good Neighbor hotels. Depending on how nice you want the hotel to be, you have several options. I recommend staying either on Harbor across the street from Disneyland or on Katella south of Disneyland. My favorite Harbor hotels are HOJO if you like a retro feel and the Courtyard for something nicer. Both have very comfortable beds, which is super important in my book, though neither has a free breakfast (McDonalds and Panera are close though). My favorite on Katella is the Springhill Suites, which are nice, but definitely a longer walk (15 minutes or so) or, if you're on a budget, Best Western Stovall's, which does have a free breakfast but is a typical Best Western with no frills.

Disneyland packages usually come out in August. But, you can book your hotel separately from your tickets if you're staying offsite and you might be able to get a better deal.

Edited to add I just realized you said you already booked a hotel...Yay for you! Have an excellent trip!

Thank you to all of y'all for your advice!!!

DVacationer, that's amazing that you are able to get to Disneyland weekly. That's a life goal right there!

We ended up booking a room at the Marriott Suites. We are so very excited!

Just be aware that if you take the ART bus to the park, the app isn't super accurate about when it'll arrive, especially mid-afternoon. The Marriott Suites is due for a renovation so the rooms are older than other places but there is a good selection of restaurants nearby and you can stop by the Target across the street if you need anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter