**BEST FRIENDS PET CARE KENNEL at DISNEY WORLD FAQ**

@disneymg I've heard that they will be less strict if you want to bring extra toys, but you need to sign a waiver saying you don't expect them back. Your mileage may vary.

This is a fabulous thread. We're going to Disney for another trip this fall - and it's the first time since we got our rescue pup, Juliet. She's a Chow/Brittany mix. We have another dog, her best bud, Hamlet, our Shiba Inu. He would have been okay staying with our normal pet sitter (my parents), but my parents can't handle Juliet and Hamlet together. This resort seemed like a good option! The reviews are about what I would anticipate...some good, some not-so-good. My only issue so far has been the abysmal phone system.

Hamlet and Juliet will be staying in a vacation villa. They will be getting one-on-one playtime instead of playgroup.

My only concern -- both Hamlet and Juliet are asian spitz-type breed with thick necks and small heads. They can't wear a normal collar outside for walks - they slip them WAY too easily; we have comfy harnesses that they wear all the time. I'm okay with them wearing the paper collar only inside, but will they be able to wear their normal harness for walks with the staffers? If they can't, I may just say we will walk them...

Yes the staff will put their harnesses on for the walks. My boys wear harnesses, and they were more than happy to oblige with our wishes. :)

Wanted to offer an update on our situation for May. I've called a buuuuunch of times...still no availability in a villa or VIP. On my last call I asked if BFPC recommended any other kennels nearby in the event they are totally booked. I was told that they can't *recommend* anyone else but they could give me a couple names/numbers for other nearby facilities that offered similar accommodations to what they offer. I was given 'Fur & Feather' and 'VIPet'.

Fur & Feather I ruled out because of their deposit/cancel policies. It's definitely worth pointing out because it's not very clear on their website. I caught onto it mostly from the bad reviews I found on other sites where the owners were upset over losing a lot of money with the unforgiving deposit/cancellation policy. They charge your credit/debit card for the full amount of the boarding fees for your pet's stay upfront as the so-called deposit. Their cancellation policy is different for their peak dates and for the different levels of accommodation. It's kinda unclear on their website. It appears they charge that total for boarding as the deposit on their nicer rooms (similar to the villas at BFPC) then if you cancel at any time you're outta luck. They don't give any other time-line or cutoff periods for their off-peak. Just doesn't settle right with me as a consumer. :confused3

VIPet we called to get all the particulars after studying their website and various reviews online and being satisfied with what we saw. They have 3 different room sizes for the pooches. They don't have separate rooms like the BFPC villas/VIPs. They remind me more of stalls all in a larger room like in a public restroom but the "walls" go all the way to the floor. You can walk by the "stalls" and see down inside them. Does that make sense? There are televisions that play movies all day in each big room but not necessarily where each stalls' occupants can see it. They get the benefit of the voices and sounds. Some of the stalls will be where the dogs can see the picture if they want to. They provide bedding, toys, etc. Each day the dogs get 3 on-leash walks and the "rooms" cleaned/picked-up 3 times a day. Playtime (group or individual) is an additional cost along with various other offerings similar to what BFPC does. Also to note, playtimes are in a nice indoor play room with dogs of similar sizes. They don't put little dogs playing with big dogs. They do allow bedding and toys from home. Food from home is recommended. If you bring bottled water that will be given to your dog at no additional cost. Bottled water from them is available for $1.50/bottle. I like the food/water policies. I spent a good 1/2 hour talking to a nice young lady, Sonia, on the phone. She was very patient with me, listened to me yammer about Riley's normal daily routine, and answered my every concern with how that would mesh with their care & offerings. We discussed options and things at length. Sonia really put my mind at ease in a big way.

One of my biggest concerns was how Riley lost so much weight because of her refusal to eat when she was with Best Friends in November 2011. I was assured that this was something that VIPet has also experienced and we discussed how they would handle that in our absence. We will be on a cruise this go around so it's not like we can get a mention while visiting that Riley isn't eating and have the chance to get her to while there. Sonia said that when a 2nd day of not eating occurs they will (with prior okay from owners) offer a wet food. She said they've had a few instances where a caretaker sat with the dog and hand-fed the food kibble by kibble to encourage eating. I'll be sure to pack cans of the prescription Science Diet I/D that I keep at home for when Riley gets an upset belly. Even when she had the ruptured anal gland a while back and I couldn't get her to eat for anything, she would dive into the plates of wet I/D like a mad woman. LOL!

I won't go into the price differences between VIPet at this time because, obviously, it's signicantly less than BFPC. Of course, Best Friends is our 1st choice. This is not a decision driven by cost in any way. It's a necessary evil with no availability for the accommodation we prefer for our baby girl.

If it's okay with BamaTigger I'll come back and offer a report when we return to let y'all know how it went with VIPet. Again, I'm not trying to recommend anyone over BFPC because on a WDW vacation I think it really is the best option for proximity and awesome-factor alone to have your fur-kids vacation with Best Friends. I'd like to offer the info as a backup for others who might get caught in a short-notice or busier time of year situation, like us, and there's no availability with BFPC.

Of course thats fine sweetpea! My main choice is always BFPC, but when they are booked we all need to know of an alternative....its our fur kids best interest at heart!:)

sweetpee I doubt I'm ever taking my dog back to Best Friends because of her refusal to eat there as well. On long vacations, I take my dog to Dog Day Afternoon in Sanford. They also have one in Orlando. The people there are soooo much more friendly than at Best Friends, and your pups can play all day long with other dogs without an extra fee. Plus, they have webcams so you can watch them pretty much all day long. The price is also significantly less as well. Completely worth the drive.

I havent heard of that place. Sounds nice! Unfortunately, my Taz won't eat ANYWHERE but our home or unless Im right there! :rolleyes2 I always tell BFPC if he doesnt eat, its fine..he will eat when I come visit! Picky ol dog! lol:hyper:

I got a ressie for our Lab and cat here in June for 4 nights while we play. We usually have a neighbor watching them, but doing a WDW stay before we head out to CA. Our lab I'm not worried about, she's good, and adapts to everything. The cat on the other hand, He's never been in a kennel, he's been in a car and does fine, and he's not too keen on other people other than us. Do you know if we can bring something like a shirt with my smell on it to leave in with him? I've had him since he was 4 weeks old, and truly is my baby!! He's almost 9 now. I am glad to see that they can look out the windows, he loves that here at home!! I'll go see him, cause he probably won't eat without me there....is there any particular times when we can visit, or any limits? These furbabies are truly my babies, and want them to be ok with everything.

I got a ressie for our Lab and cat here in June for 4 nights while we play. We usually have a neighbor watching them, but doing a WDW stay before we head out to CA. Our lab I'm not worried about, she's good, and adapts to everything. The cat on the other hand, He's never been in a kennel, he's been in a car and does fine, and he's not too keen on other people other than us. Do you know if we can bring something like a shirt with my smell on it to leave in with him? I've had him since he was 4 weeks old, and truly is my baby!! He's almost 9 now. I am glad to see that they can look out the windows, he loves that here at home!! I'll go see him, cause he probably won't eat without me there....is there any particular times when we can visit, or any limits? These furbabies are truly my babies, and want them to be ok with everything.

Yes, they will just probably write your name on it, but Im sure its fine. They are open and hour before and an hour after a park closes, so you can go anytime you want! We make several trips there a day to see our kids. Have fun!

Yes, they will just probably write your name on it, but Im sure its fine. They are open and hour before and an hour after a park closes, so you can go anytime you want! We make several trips there a day to see our kids. Have fun!

Thanks!! Never boarded them before, so I'm a little leary, mostly about the cat. Mollie is our lab, and she loves everyone!! I got her a going home bath too, since from WDW we'll be heading to TN to see the inlaws, then to Tx to see friends, AZ to see my sister, then our new home in San Diego!! Gonna be stressful enough for them!!

Thanks!! Never boarded them before, so I'm a little leary, mostly about the cat. Mollie is our lab, and she loves everyone!! I got her a going home bath too, since from WDW we'll be heading to TN to see the inlaws, then to Tx to see friends, AZ to see my sister, then our new home in San Diego!! Gonna be stressful enough for them!!

Im sure they will be fine! After visiting them, they will be reassured and both parents and kids will be happier!:goodvibes

Considering leaving my fur babies at Dog Day Afternoon this time around. Seeing good reviews and I like the all day play for the babies.

I just wanted to report on my experience when my Westie stayed at Best Friends in March! Ziggy loved it! My boys really liked that they emailed me during our trip to say Ziggy was having fun and they sent the picture they took of him! That made me feel good because we ended up not being able to go visit him like I planned during the middle of the week. I plan to use Best Friends again next year! :thumbsup2

I just wanted to report on my experience when my Westie stayed at Best Friends in March! Ziggy loved it! My boys really liked that they emailed me during our trip to say Ziggy was having fun and they sent the picture they took of him! That made me feel good because we ended up not being able to go visit him like I planned during the middle of the week. I plan to use Best Friends again next year! :thumbsup2

That is awesome! Im so glad Ziggy had a great time and eased your worries! If you have any pics, feel free to post!

Puppy kisses to Ziggy! :)

That is awesome! Im so glad Ziggy had a great time and eased your worries! If you have any pics, feel free to post!

Puppy kisses to Ziggy! :)

Thanks! Here's a couple pics of my Ziggy!

This is the one Best Friends emailed me during our visit:
Ziggy_Tucker_20120312.jpg

And this is Ziggy with my youngest (human) son! :)
mjl005.jpg

We're going to the parks in October and are trying to decide whether or not to board our small dog at Best Friends. We'd probably book a standard indoor suite for him, but I've been unable to find any photos. Does anyone know what the standard suites look like or have any photos they can share? Does anyone have any experiences they can share about using the standard indoor suites?

Thank you!

We're going to the parks in October and are trying to decide whether or not to board our small dog at Best Friends. We'd probably book a standard indoor suite for him, but I've been unable to find any photos. Does anyone know what the standard suites look like or have any photos they can share? Does anyone have any experiences they can share about using the standard indoor suites?

Thank you!

The standard suites have a wire front, with plastic sides and plastic bottoms. The dimensions vary depending on the size of the dog. Just an FYI, you'll be hard pressed to find pictures of the indoor suites because pictures aren't allowed in the back area. :thumbsup2 Depending on your dog they can work out pretty well. They usually come with two potty walks, but you're welcome to add any number of activities for an additional fee.

mjl005.jpg

BOTH of your sons are so handsome :goodvibes Thanks for sharing the pics! That's awesome that they email them to you!

I have been trying to call Best Friends to make an October appointment for our dog and for the past 2 days I get the message "we are experiencing heavy call volume please leave a message and your call will be returned in the order it was received". I left a message yesterday and still no return call.

Today I pressed "0" the option to check on your pet if they are staying there and got the same message! I am not getting a good feel for this place if there is no one to answer the phones. :sad2:

Is this how it normally is you wait and wait for them to return a call? I can't make the reservation online because we have a large dog and I am afraid she will not be happy in anything but the Vac Villa or a VIP so she has enough room to walk around a bit.

I have been trying to call Best Friends to make an October appointment for our dog and for the past 2 days I get the message "we are experiencing heavy call volume please leave a message and your call will be returned in the order it was received". I left a message yesterday and still no return call.

Today I pressed "0" the option to check on your pet if they are staying there and got the same message! I am not getting a good feel for this place if there is no one to answer the phones. :sad2:

Is this how it normally is you wait and wait for them to return a call? I can't make the reservation online because we have a large dog and I am afraid she will not be happy in anything but the Vac Villa or a VIP so she has enough room to walk around a bit.

Did you ever hear back from Best Friends? I've never even attempted to contact them by phone so I am no help there, but that's disappointing if you are not able to talk to someone. :sad1: I asked a question by going to their Facebook page and received an answer there the same day, I think. Although, that's no replacement for a phone call. I hope you heard back...

Yeah, it's hard to get through during the summer when everyone else is booking. :mad: Last time I just used the "contact us" form on the website http://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/contact-us/ and sent them my dog's info and the dates we wanted. They got right back to me. Just don't forget to put your phone number on the email, too (like I did, oops! :rolleyes::)

mjl005.jpg

OMG, so cute! I saw Ziggy on their FB page too! Love it!

Thank you!

No pics are allowed of the SS...you can try their FB page, but I couldn't find any

The standard suites have a wire front, with plastic sides and plastic bottoms. The dimensions vary depending on the size of the dog. Just an FYI, you'll be hard pressed to find pictures of the indoor suites because pictures aren't allowed in the back area. :thumbsup2 Depending on your dog they can work out pretty well. They usually come with two potty walks, but you're welcome to add any number of activities for an additional fee.

Ah! Well said!:woohoo:

I do know they take a day or so getting back to you, but when I contact them by FB or from the online form, they reply quicker! Summer months are very hectic! I know their is another direct number, and I will find it and post it!

Did you ever hear back from Best Friends? I've never even attempted to contact them by phone so I am no help there, but that's disappointing if you are not able to talk to someone. :sad1: I asked a question by going to their Facebook page and received an answer there the same day, I think. Although, that's no replacement for a phone call. I hope you heard back...

;

Little late since we've been getting settled in our new house, but we put our 2 yr old lab and our cat with them the beginning of June, and they were AWESOME!! Gave us good report cards when we picked them up, and we were able to stop and see them once during our visit. Not sure if they put up pics, but ours is Mollie and Blackie. They sent me pics, but not sure they are on here. I'll have to go look. I had never boarded either of them, and they both did wonderful. The cat was happy to see us, and Mollie just loves us humans, so she was really happy to see us. I would not hesitate to use them again if we needed to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter