**BEST FRIENDS PET CARE KENNEL at DISNEY WORLD FAQ**

I'm sure this is off topic, but I need some advice.
My fiance and I adopted a puppy:love: Long ago we booked a 9 day trip to WDW in Oct...We are looking for the best, but most economical way to board the dog. She can't be on plane w/us, she's already 30lbs now. We don't want to put her in cargo, rent a car, etc.
My friend has recommended our local PetSmart hotel..She'll end up being boarded for 11 days...That's going to be one heck of a bill:scared1: Since there is no one else that can take care while we are gone, do we have any other alternative:confused3

TIA:goodvibes

Well, congrats first of all on your new puppy!!!:thumbsup2 I hope she is bringing you tons of joy!

It sounds like you are in a pickle! Is there anyone you can ask (and pay) to come and stay at your house with your dog? If not, then it seems like the PetSmart boarding will be the only option! Maybe you can talk them into a discount since its so many days! I hope you find a solution that is good on your wallet and in the best interest of your dog! :) Keep us posted!

where do you live? My local boarding is $17.50 a day.

I dont know where athena lives, but I think our "boarding" is like 25.00 a day. And all that is is a cage in our local vets office with one walk per day. Pitiful. Thats why I DO NOT BOARD in our town! Thats why I take mine with me or either pay my sister to sit.

Well, congrats first of all on your new puppy!!!:thumbsup2 I hope she is bringing you tons of joy!

It sounds like you are in a pickle! Is there anyone you can ask (and pay) to come and stay at your house with your dog? If not, then it seems like the PetSmart boarding will be the only option! Maybe you can talk them into a discount since its so many days! I hope you find a solution that is good on your wallet and in the best interest of your dog! :) Keep us posted!

Thanks, yes, she is bringing us tons of joy, we just adore her:cloud9:
There really isn't anyone that can come and stay @ the house...Everyone works all day w/the exception of a good friend of mine, who alas has 3 dogs of her own, thats the only reason she can't do it.
I did think that maybe I could ask PetSmart for a discount...I'll cross my fingers on that...How much in advance should I start calling them with my questions?

where do you live? My local boarding is $17.50 a day.

I live just North of Boston, everything is expensive here...if our boarding was $17.50, I'd be scared of what it would be, lol.

I dont know where athena lives, but I think our "boarding" is like 25.00 a day. And all that is is a cage in our local vets office with one walk per day. Pitiful. Thats why I DO NOT BOARD in our town! Thats why I take mine with me or either pay my sister to sit.

Yikes! Yeah, that wouldn't be a good situation for us either.

I'll keep you all posted, if there is any more advice that can be given to me, it is much appreciated:goodvibes

which way North? I lived near lowell MA. Also regarding what I pay, the staff is great and my dog gets an indoor/outdoor run.

We are so disappointed to report that the Best Friends Pet Care in Lake Buena Vista, Florida was just awful. The staff does not communicate with each other and therefore, anyone who works at the front desk, does not care what is going on with your dog. We brought our puppy there and were so upset to see that she had not been taken out to potty, even though we were paying extra for her to be taken out more than once.Also, she was in the villas, which we thought would get more attention from the staff, but does not. Many days, she wasn't even taken out once. Although she could have "pottied" in her room, she has just recently been trained and will only potty in the grass. We told several staff members about our concern that our puppy was holding her stools for more than 24 hours. Many staff members were rude and one front desk member bluntly told us that she only worked front desk and didn't know or care about what was going on with the dogs. Although this place looks cute and appears to be a wonderful place for pets to stay, you have no idea what kind of treatment your animal is getting when you leave. Their report cards are written nicely, as well as the "times" that they took the dog out or had cuddle time. However, those reports were often lied about. On more than one occasion, it was written that our puppy was taken out by a staff member, or that a staff member had cuddle time and wrote "she was so cute and playful". However, it was impossible that they had taken her out or had cuddle time at the times in which they wrote, because we were there at that particular time. They just wrote random times and comments to make it look like they were paying attention to her when in fact, they were not. We advise people to do yourself a favor and find another place to board your loved one. This is only worth it if you can visit your pet everyday, like we did to make up for the care that they aren't receiving from the staff. :sad1:

which way North? I lived near lowell MA. Also regarding what I pay, the staff is great and my dog gets an indoor/outdoor run.

I live in Medford...The PetSmart hotel that we would board her in, if we had no choice, would be the one in Woburn.

I did offer to pay a good friend to come over every day (she has 3 of her own dogs, so she can't stay over) and walk her and feed her..She said she would do it free of charge:hug: HOWEVER, thats because right now she isn't working and has plenty of time...With 4 and 1/2 months left until my trip, anything can happen...But i hope she can do it 1) easier for my puppy to be in her own home for this extended period w/people she knows and 2) a lot less expensive.

We are so disappointed to report that the Best Friends Pet Care in Lake Buena Vista, Florida was just awful. The staff does not communicate with each other and therefore, anyone who works at the front desk, does not care what is going on with your dog. We brought our puppy there and were so upset to see that she had not been taken out to potty, even though we were paying extra for her to be taken out more than once.Also, she was in the villas, which we thought would get more attention from the staff, but does not. Many days, she wasn't even taken out once. Although she could have "pottied" in her room, she has just recently been trained and will only potty in the grass. We told several staff members about our concern that our puppy was holding her stools for more than 24 hours. Many staff members were rude and one front desk member bluntly told us that she only worked front desk and didn't know or care about what was going on with the dogs. Although this place looks cute and appears to be a wonderful place for pets to stay, you have no idea what kind of treatment your animal is getting when you leave. Their report cards are written nicely, as well as the "times" that they took the dog out or had cuddle time. However, those reports were often lied about. On more than one occasion, it was written that our puppy was taken out by a staff member, or that a staff member had cuddle time and wrote "she was so cute and playful". However, it was impossible that they had taken her out or had cuddle time at the times in which they wrote, because we were there at that particular time. They just wrote random times and comments to make it look like they were paying attention to her when in fact, they were not. We advise people to do yourself a favor and find another place to board your loved one. This is only worth it if you can visit your pet everyday, like we did to make up for the care that they aren't receiving from the staff. :sad1:

How do you know your puppy was not taken out even once? Did you ask to speak to the manager about your concerns?

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with the front desk staff and Best Friends Pet Resort as a whole. Our experience was definitely very different from yours. We found all the staff to be very friendly, the facility to be very comfortable, and the care given to our dog right on-target with what we paid for (also in the villas).

How do you know your puppy was not taken out even once? Did you ask to speak to the manager about your concerns?

I was wondering about this, as well. How did the poster know what was or was not going on with their dog while they were not there? I get the conflict in the notes but how would you know if your dog never got walked when you weren't there? What treatment did their dog receive that was not acceptable? I was a little perplexed with that part.

I was wondering about this, as well. How did the poster know what was or was not going on with their dog while they were not there? I get the conflict in the notes but how would you know if your dog never got walked when you weren't there? What treatment did their dog receive that was not acceptable? I was a little perplexed with that part.

Smells a little troll-ish!

Not a troll, saw a post on the Facebook BFPC about this.....I think the poster forgets that a small puppy has to pee pee ALOT, alot more than older dogs. Thats why the puppy always had to go when they showed up. My puppy would just pee pee all over himself when he got excited RIGHT after going potty!:lmao:
Puppies are a cute thing.

This incident does NOT affect any way I feel about BFPC...they did awesome with my 3 boys and I will TOTALLY be back. :)

^^^
This is what I was wondering about. Yeah, Riley had "accidents" until she was a year old. After that if she had to get a shot then she was good for at least 1 accident within 24 hours. I chalked it up to the stress of it all. Puppies do need to go frequently and smaller breeds do sometimes have a longer go of getting their little bladders under control. I'm a homeschooling SAHM so Riley gets to go outside at least every 3-4 hours.

I think it also depends on what your dog is used to and how they handle stress. Riley normally doesn't eat unless I'm in the kitchen cooking or cleaning. She never goes to her dish & eats on her own. It's only when I'm in the kitchen. Translate that into a stay at BFPC and she wasn't eatting well at all. In fact, she visibly lost a considerable amount of weight by the time we left. It's not the staff or lack of care. It's just that the routine was too far off from her norm. We got her to eat for us some when we were there. I hadn't thought of this issue prior to our last trip. Now that I know it's an issue one thing I can do to encourage her to eat while we're gone is to have her fed the yummy canned food she only gets on rare or special occasions.

I hate that this person had a bad experience. It's been hard for us to find places we are okay with leaving our dog. I hate the feeling of being unsure or frightened when leaving her somewhere in someone else's hands. Ya know?

I'm not so sure this is a troll. I only boarded my dog here for daycare but have an upcoming reservation. They told me they took my dog out to pee but that the dog didn't go because he was too "anxious." Well, duh, he's a GSD & they can be nutty when out of their element & away from their humans. I know my dog well, and if they gave him a couple of minutes, he would have peed. (I posted about this a few pages back in this thread).

There was also another customer at the desk & she was ticked because her dog didn't get what it was supposed to.

The staff wouldn't let me take a picture of the room he was in. What's the big secret? It may be their policy but I think it's a bad one. Many of us treat our pets as family members, not just furry little accessories, so I don't know why they won't allow photos of the indoor/outdoor runs.

I really didn't get a great vibe from this place & I may switch to a different kennel next time. It looks great on the outside but I'm still not convinced.

My kennel at home is very spacious & has a Webcam, so I can watch my boy all day. I'd like to take him with us again so we can spend time with him, though.

I know there are some true fans of BFPC on this thread but not everyone has had a great experience.

I'm not so sure this is a troll. I only boarded my dog here for daycare but have an upcoming reservation. They told me they took my dog out to pee but that the dog didn't go because he was too "anxious." Well, duh, he's a GSD & they can be nutty when out of their element & away from their humans. I know my dog well, and if they gave him a couple of minutes, he would have peed. (I posted about this a few pages back in this thread).

There was also another customer at the desk & she was ticked because her dog didn't get what it was supposed to.

The staff wouldn't let me take a picture of the room he was in. What's the big secret? It may be their policy but I think it's a bad one. Many of us treat our pets as family members, not just furry little accessories, so I don't know why they won't allow photos of the indoor/outdoor runs.

I really didn't get a great vibe from this place & I may switch to a different kennel next time. It looks great on the outside but I'm still not convinced.

My kennel at home is very spacious & has a Webcam, so I can watch my boy all day. I'd like to take him with us again so we can spend time with him, though.

I know there are some true fans of BFPC on this thread but not everyone has had a great experience.

I've also read where other people were asked not to take pictures of where their pet was staying and such which kinda confuses me. When we were there I don't think I asked but I had my camera in hand and took pics of Riley in her villa, in the dog park, and in the fenced walking trail. I wonder why some are asked not to take pictures and then other times (like when we were there) not a word is said? That's odd. :confused3

I am really shocked to read this, and frankly, a little suspicious, too. :worried: I've been taking my dogs there since they opened, and have NEVER had any issues! When we visit family in the Orlando area, even when we don't get the opportunities to visit the parks, my pups are always with their buddies at BF. :thumbsup2. They answer all my zillions of questions, and my dogs come home happy and exhausted. ;)
I think the writer should def call and speak with the manager there. I think the staff is totally dedicated to the pets in their care.
Good luck and let us know how it works out!! :)

As I said before, the PP was not a troll...she posted on Facebook about this on the BFPC page. I just hate she had a terrible experience.

I am also sad that you didnt have a great experience as well. I know sometimes when our fur kids are taken out of their own environment, they do not do things. My oldes Pom, Taz doesnt eat when he isnt at home, so I know how you feel! I think some staff is better than the others. I know the staff that I have are just great. I am so sorry to hear about those who dont have good staff because the animals come first and every staff needs to be attentive and doing their job!

Does anyone have an update on the A/C there now? Is it cool in the suites?

Just need to update! :) If anyone has any pics, please post those as well! :goodvibes

I live in Medford...The PetSmart hotel that we would board her in, if we had no choice, would be the one in Woburn.

I did offer to pay a good friend to come over every day (she has 3 of her own dogs, so she can't stay over) and walk her and feed her..She said she would do it free of charge:hug: HOWEVER, thats because right now she isn't working and has plenty of time...With 4 and 1/2 months left until my trip, anything can happen...But i hope she can do it 1) easier for my puppy to be in her own home for this extended period w/people she knows and 2) a lot less expensive.
I live in Woburn, and I have a friend who uses PetSmart for boarding/daycare and has been very satisfied with their care. But I know of a couple of places other than PetSmart if you would like choices. I have boarded my dog at Ledgebrook Kennel at Woburn Animal Hospital a few times. A little expensive, but the staff is great and they are connected to the vet if they need it. I have friends who use the Best Friends Kennel in Wakefield and they highly recommend it. Also, I was at the Pet Life in Stoneham yesterday and they had a flyer for a dog sitter/walker/boarder who works on her own. Lots of options in this area, keep a look out, ask people at the parks for recommendations, I bet you'll find a good solution. Hope you don't mind me sticking my two cents in here, I hope it all works out!

I live in Woburn, and I have a friend who uses PetSmart for boarding/daycare and has been very satisfied with their care. But I know of a couple of places other than PetSmart if you would like choices. I have boarded my dog at Ledgebrook Kennel at Woburn Animal Hospital a few times. A little expensive, but the staff is great and they are connected to the vet if they need it. I have friends who use the Best Friends Kennel in Wakefield and they highly recommend it. Also, I was at the Pet Life in Stoneham yesterday and they had a flyer for a dog sitter/walker/boarder who works on her own. Lots of options in this area, keep a look out, ask people at the parks for recommendations, I bet you'll find a good solution. Hope you don't mind me sticking my two cents in here, I hope it all works out!

Thank you so much:hug: I totally appreciate it! I had no idea there were so many options...I know I'v still got plenty of time, but I am starting to get nervous because it needs to be worked into the budget if my out of work friend can't do it. And that we won't know about until the last minute, like she might finally get a job, lol

Thank you so much:hug: I totally appreciate it! I had no idea there were so many options...I know I'v still got plenty of time, but I am starting to get nervous because it needs to be worked into the budget if my out of work friend can't do it. And that we won't know about until the last minute, like she might finally get a job, lol
Yes, its definitely a big budget item! Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter