• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best footwear?...I can't do sneakers.

my years of wearing fashionable shoes (i.e., heels) and supportive shoes left my feet in terrible shape. I'd even been to a podiatrist. I read about 'barefoot' or 'minimalist' shoes and for three years now, I haven't had one minute of foot pain, and I have no more feet cramps. The theory behind the minimalist shoes is that supportive shoes cause our feet to be weak and, like our ancestors, feet were not designed to be supported. I wear Soft Star shoes at Disney, average 13 miles per day, and can wear the same shoes morning, noon, and night. I'm the only one in my group who doesn't have aching feet. They do take an adjustment period, tho', so unless you're able to walk barefoot comfortably now, you'd need a month to adjust. One of the unexpected benefits is that my balance has improved dramatically. I can literally balance on one foot and put my sock and shoe and lace it on the other foot -- without even wavering! Anyway, I'm not a paid consultant, I'm just thrilled to have found this solution. I feel like I'm wearing flannel pajamas on my feet.

I've worn Croc and Teva flips flops and also Keen. I didn't have a problem with any. All were very comfortable.

I have a pair of Merrel leather sandals that I have had on many Disney trips and many years that I cannot give up (despite my wife begging me too) because they are so comfortable. 75% of the time, and for work I wear my Keen hiker shoes. Very comfortable, could be in those all day too.

Sounds amazing!!! I have been on their site taking a look and wondering which type would you recommend for Disney? We go in August so I've got time to adjust! Thanks in advance! :)

my years of wearing fashionable shoes (i.e., heels) and supportive shoes left my feet in terrible shape. I'd even been to a podiatrist. I read about 'barefoot' or 'minimalist' shoes and for three years now, I haven't had one minute of foot pain, and I have no more feet cramps. The theory behind the minimalist shoes is that supportive shoes cause our feet to be weak and, like our ancestors, feet were not designed to be supported. I wear Soft Star shoes at Disney, average 13 miles per day, and can wear the same shoes morning, noon, and night. I'm the only one in my group who doesn't have aching feet. They do take an adjustment period, tho', so unless you're able to walk barefoot comfortably now, you'd need a month to adjust. One of the unexpected benefits is that my balance has improved dramatically. I can literally balance on one foot and put my sock and shoe and lace it on the other foot -- without even wavering! Anyway, I'm not a paid consultant, I'm just thrilled to have found this solution. I feel like I'm wearing flannel pajamas on my feet.

To the person who asked about wearing socks with Keens. They are even more comfy with socks. I wear mine all year - with socks in the winter, and without in the summer. Also be sure to consider kids sizes for half of the price if you wear up to a womans size 8 (kids size 6).

Flat feet here...Crocs have been awesome for me. The heat of August doesn't even bother me or make my feet feel icky.....

Everyone in my family wears Keens now and can't believe how comfortable they are. We can wear all day/night without any discomfort. Great traction, also great in wet weather.
images
I just got a pair similar to these in the mail today!!! I live in my Keens when I am at the Parks and at home. I have planter faciatus so I have to wear good shoe. I even bought a pair for my niece to wear our last trip. She loved them as well.

Sounds amazing!!! I have been on their site taking a look and wondering which type would you recommend for Disney? We go in August so I've got time to adjust! Thanks in advance! :)
First choice would be original run amocs (see design your own page). Select light leather for front and back. Select vibram sole (not trail). The leather sole is phenomenal but not for rain. The other style is the dash run amocs with same leather and soles. Wear with thin seamless wicking socks. For dressier and still super comfy, I love the merry Janes. Both of the run amocs are even better in suede with leather soles but not for Disney in summer. You can see their photos in FB, or look around the site. I tried other minimalist shoe brands but these are by far the best quality and the most comfortable. I got a ton of compliments on my shoes when at Disney -- but only from Europeans! Ha ha.

Nope, no socks with my Keens. I wear them when I want my feet to stay cool!

PS Think about sunscreen on the tops of your feet. I always forget and have had some interesting tan lines there!
I was just going to ask that - you must get really weird tan lines with Keens! :)

First choice would be original run amocs (see design your own page). Select light leather for front and back. Select vibram sole (not trail). The leather sole is phenomenal but not for rain. The other style is the dash run amocs with same leather and soles. Wear with thin seamless wicking socks. For dressier and still super comfy, I love the merry Janes. Both of the run amocs are even better in suede with leather soles but not for Disney in summer. You can see their photos in FB, or look around the site. I tried other minimalist shoe brands but these are by far the best quality and the most comfortable. I got a ton of compliments on my shoes when at Disney -- but only from Europeans! Ha ha.

I like... but the price... less is more guess! :(

I like... but the price... less is more guess! :(
Yeah, the price hurts. But they are handmade, to order, and leather. They do last and wear well. I've had some for the three years and they're still in good shape.

Embrace the crocs!

They're incredibly comfortable, they dry instantly, and have big toe-boxes to accommodate wide or park-swollen feet. They run between $40-$60 a pair and last for ages.

They don't have to be ugly orange clown shoes. They have plain black ones without holes that are discreet and neutral. Your feet will thank you!

I now only ever wear crocs for my non stop two weeks of walking in Walt Disney World.

I tried them once years ago and hated it as they rubbed my foot but found out later that you have to buy crocs which are a size or two larger than normal. Also I never wear socks with them, how anyone can wear socks in that heat I never know.

I love my Keens. Bought the Clearwater CNX after recommendations on here a couple of years ago and also have the Gallatin CNX which are the full closed/sneaker type version of the Clearwater. No pain in them whatsoever, it's like a miracle. Really well made shoes with a decent price tag.

View attachment 168888 Here is a pic of the Birkenstock shoes I am breaking in for my trip to Disney. They are even called Florida!

I thought about getting a pair of Birkenstocks but my orthopedic shoe store owner said the cork soles wouldn't be good to get wet. And they just cost too much for me to ruin a pair getting caught in a downpour. That's one reason I went with the OluKai's. But I'd still like to eventually get a pair of the Birkenstocks. One day. When my ship comes in...

I always wore whatever flip flops I wanted without issue. Well, now I'm getting older...and need to change things up.

Last time I went I brought my flip flops and got a "split" between my toes so I couldn't wear them the rest of the time. I was lucky enough to have slip on boots and it got cold so I wore them.

I want to invest in maybe Clarks or just a good sandal without the thong part.

PS...I also need wide width.

Thanks!
I got my first pair of Crocs last trip. They are a cute Mary Jane style. So comfortable, and no worries about getting them wet. Looking to get more!

Merrill sandals. I swear by them. I can go a whole day without pain. And they dry very quickly after water rides!!

To the person who asked about wearing socks with Keens. They are even more comfy with socks. I wear mine all year - with socks in the winter, and without in the summer. Also be sure to consider kids sizes for half of the price if you wear up to a womans size 8 (kids size 6).

Nice tip! How do you calculate the size difference? I'm assuming you would need to buy boys size 6 for a woman's size 8....so a woman's size 7 would be a boy's size 5?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter